Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Postby Morten Carlsen on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:19 am

Hi -

I must be a total retard. I love ST and have been using Text Editors my entire life.
However, I have never been confronted with a text editor which isn't capable of of shortening a selection.

I.E... in the following Phrase:

Sublime Text Rocks

Imageine I drag from S (with mouse button held) to R to select Sublime Text R - and now let go of the mouse button.
The selection stays. I can extend the selection but I cannot shorten it.

Is this a "feature" or a bug.

Please Help ;-)

Morten
Morten Carlsen
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:14 am

Re: Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Postby stikker on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 am

Morten Carlsen wrote:Is this a "feature" or a bug.


I've always considered this a bug, because all other editors I use allow shortening the selection if the Shift key is pressed. Even Notepad gets this right :)

While we all love Sublime, it's no secret that it is also full of bugs and quirks, but nobody wants to talk about them it seems (the issue tracker is 10% of what it could've been if I could be arsed to submit bug reports...)
stikker
 

Re: Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Postby estmatic on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:37 pm

You can do it with the keyboard. Hold down Shift and then press the left-arrow key as needed to shorten the selection.
estmatic
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Postby stikker on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:01 pm

estmatic wrote:You can do it with the keyboard. Hold down Shift and then press the left-arrow key as needed to shorten the selection.


The OP knows that, and the question is specifically about shorting with the mouse.
stikker
 

Re: Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Postby Morten Carlsen on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi - and thanks for reporting....

Yes, I know I can do that with the arrow keys.. But THAT my friend is mighty tedious when wanting to back-select 20 lines of 1000.....

OK.

int textShorteningWithMouse = Bug;
if (textShorteningWithMouse == Bug) {
Sublime Crew == Please Fix ;
}

;-)
Morten Carlsen
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:14 am

Re: Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Postby jbrooksuk on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:47 pm

Morten Carlsen wrote:Hi - and thanks for reporting....

Yes, I know I can do that with the arrow keys.. But THAT my friend is mighty tedious when wanting to back-select 20 lines of 1000.....

OK.

int textShorteningWithMouse = Bug;
if (textShorteningWithMouse == Bug) {
Sublime Crew == Please Fix ;
}

;-)

Your code is buggy.

Sublime Crew == Please Fix would result in an equality check.
jbrooksuk
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 am
Location: England

Re: Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Postby Morten Carlsen on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:37 pm

jbrooksuk wrote:
Morten Carlsen wrote:Hi - and thanks for reporting....

Yes, I know I can do that with the arrow keys.. But THAT my friend is mighty tedious when wanting to back-select 20 lines of 1000.....

OK.

int textShorteningWithMouse = Bug;
if (textShorteningWithMouse == Bug) {
Sublime Crew == Please Fix ;
}

;-)

Your code is buggy.

Sublime Crew == Please Fix would result in an equality check.


You are absolutely right.... Now, perhaps you should wonder WHY I wrote it up as a bug....
In fact, my statement contains TWO bugs... Sublime Crew with a White Space in between would not fly either....
But I guess you already knew that :mrgreen:
And if we get real picky, I could, in some cases, even get a compile error for initializing the int while declaring it... Fortunately in most cases I would get away it...
Morten Carlsen
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:14 am

Re: Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Postby jps on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:20 am

You can shorten selections using the mouse by doing a subtractive selection: alt+drag on windows and linux, or command+shift+drag on osx.
jps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 23 guests