Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Open file in current tab (instead of new tab)

Open file in current tab (instead of new tab)

Postby tomas.k on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi, is there a way to open file in the current tab instead of creating a new one?

I work with dozens of files and since I'm lazy to close the old file when switching to new one, I end up with plenty of tabs opened. After a while I close all tabs except the current one, since having 50 tabs is not useful anymore. If the new file replaces the current one, I can control which files deserves its own tab easily. I know I can create a custom command, but there are a lot of ways how to open a file and I want all of them to do it.
tomas.k

Re: Open file in current tab (instead of new tab)

Postby facelessuser on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 pm

I know I can create a custom command, but there are a lot of ways how to open a file and I want all of them to do it.

Sounds like you need to create a lot of custom commands then ;).
facelessuser

Postby iamntz on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Just press ctrl+w (or cmd+w if you are on a mac) before opening a file. Done.
iamntz

Postby tomas.k on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. Writing custom scripts is probably the best way. It shows up I can't override the command called in overlay, but there are hooks on opening, loading and activating a view. I don't have the script yet because of some problems with API, but it can be done.

Closing a file before opening new one is no option for me - it's too much keystrokes and I have to think of it. I would give up using tabs than do it if I had to.
tomas.k

Return to General Discussion