Sublime Forum

What new features are coming?

Hopefully not to Adobe! Or Microsoft. Or Apple. Or Aptana. Or any other company that does crappy job (although Visual Studio is pretty nice)

You are not the only one…

Anyhow, maybe we get a present on Christmas. Or Hanukkah. Or whatever is coming these days first! :mrgreen:

Let’s speculate, what do you think it’s the new feature it’s coming?

I think it’s either Sidebar API or tooltips API.

0 Likes

I hope so badly it’s tooltips.

0 Likes

Something related with making the UI extensible would be great!

0 Likes

Tooltips, more powerful snippets, symbol recognition and integration in tooltips and autocomplete, whole project auto complete…

So many dreams!

0 Likes

ST already has gesture recognition. If you write the letter S in the air then ST will start automatically.
And retina recognition: if you stare at the centre of the screen and look slowly up and down the screen will scroll.

(not really :smiley: )

0 Likes

Would be cool if he sold it to the Eclipse-team. What a wonderful fusion that would be.

Scala (best language ever, staticly typed, so IDE is a huge benefit) + Eclipse (awesome advanced) + Sublime Text 2 (extremely effective for writing) => Programmer’s paradise :smiley:

0 Likes

[quote=“200”]Would be cool if he sold it to the Eclipse-team. What a wonderful fusion that would be.

Scala (best language ever, staticly typed, so IDE is a huge benefit) + Eclipse (awesome advanced) + Sublime Text 2 (extremely effective for writing) => Programmer’s paradise :smiley:[/quote]

Sounds to me like one gigantic, bloated mess whose manual would be illegal to print in the interests of rainforest conservation.

0 Likes

Yeah, sublime text with really good intelligent refactoring/navigation tools would be amazing.

It’s really incredible what you can do with Eclipse and Java if you can tolerate the slowness and horrible low level editing.

Scala is super Java by the sounds. Surely IDEs don’t need to be as slow as all that?

I could definitely live without most of persistent views like ‘outline views’ in favour of ‘nothing but the code’

0 Likes

if Jon sells to either Microsoft or Eclipse ill NEVER be buying any upgrades from them. ive never seen a single microsoft product that was worth a damn SPECIALLY their not IDE, and Eclipse is one of the single worst (badly designed, badly implemented, badly interfaced) pieces of software ive ever been forced to use. EVERY key press was sheer agony (only slightly worse than netbeans).

THIS editor just blows my mind. If Jon sells it at all it will degrade into a bloated pile of “make it do everything and who cares about the bugs or speed” horse manure. NOBODY will put their heart and soul into it the way he has.

if you are not offered at least 20 million dont take it jon!

0 Likes

There exists a beta-level integration with Scala’s presentation compiler called “Ensime” on package control. We have already implemented on-the-fly error highlighting, completion and go to definition. I hope after the release of Scala 2.10.0-final I’ll get some time to work on stabilization. You guys could help as well. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but that was a very good chance to speak up. If you’re interested, let’s discuss at SublimeScala - IDE-like features for Scala.

0 Likes

Thanks :smile: I don’t really code in java ATM (was doing droid app) let alone Scala

Though Scala mentioner will surely enjoy

0 Likes

I really hope he won’t sell the project and this is just a joke :smile:
Big companies often mess up superb software…

0 Likes

[quote=“Dude”]

I really hope he won’t sell the project and this is just a joke :smile:
Big companies often mess up superb software…[/quote]

This is the thing most likely to happen in the future for ST (Similar thing happened many times in SV in the past decade).

0 Likes

Excuse my ignorance… but what is SV?

0 Likes

[quote=“pier”]

Excuse my ignorance… but what is SV?[/quote]

I believe he’s referring to Silicon Valley.

0 Likes

I thought Jon was from Australia…?

0 Likes

C++ is often used in places it shouldn’t, but for ST2 it was a major win.

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

I thought Jon was from Australia…?[/quote]

Yes, SV=Silicon Valley.
I know Jon is Australia, but look at what happened in the past: small companies, with some brilliant ideas or pieces of softwares…, I don’t think living in Australia makes any difference.

0 Likes

I believe Notepad++ was built on C++. I was reading that C++ was supposedly in decline, as it hasn’t kept
pace with other languages?

Apologies, as I appreciate this a little off topic. Andy.

0 Likes

[quote=“agibsonsw”]I was reading that C++ was supposedly in decline, as it hasn’t kept
pace with other languages?[/quote]

That’s what the proponents of “other languages” want you to believe. C++ is alive and well and growing.

0 Likes