Sublime Forum

Why buy ST2 is so expensive?

Still using the evaluation. I was waiting for print support before registering. Now I’m thinking I’ll just register for v3 when it’s released. Sublime Text is good, but it’s by no means perfect. In some sense the price is reasonable, but in others it’s high. On Mac, I look at other software such as Pixelmator which is very good and not expensive (maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Sublime Text).

0 Likes

I haven’t used this forum for months. How can you be still discussing this?

I use ST every day to write code:

• Web dev (HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/Haxe)
  • App dev (Adobe Air)
  • Game dev (C#, C++)

While not perfect, ST can solve all your coding needs and you should be able to produce it’s price with a few hours of work. 70$ is peanuts for god’s sake.

Stop thinking ST is just an editor. An editor does not upload files, does not use GIT commands, does not call compilers with params, etc. If you want an editor try TextWrangler which is free and does just that: edit text files.

If you are a student just use the free version and stop complaining.

0 Likes

yes.

[/thread]

0 Likes

AFAIK there is no TextWrangler for Windows.

Why? I, for one, will probably leave ST for Emacs then.
Not everyone has the money for that.

0 Likes

I’ll chime in here.

I too, when I first came upon Sublime Text, asked “why so expensive?”
For me it was a big deal, I am a pensioner and only code part-time to keep my mind active but after only a few days I changed my mind.
I am using the beta of version 3 and there is NO WAY I could ever go back to something else.
If you only want to edit text then fine go somewhere else but if you want a tool that does ALL that ST does, and as fast, then there is no option.

This is without a question one of the finest pieces of software I have ever used and I will, and do, tell any who listen to use it.

So to answer the question posed in the OP:

Because it is simply the best at doing what it does and if you think it is too expensive then you are not using it for it’s right purpose.

Put it this way. Would you buy a Ferrari if you were only going to drive to the shops and back? No. You’d get by with a Mazda or something.
But if your neighbour said “here use my Ferrari, and if you want you can help with the fuel costs, otherwise no problem.” Would you drive it and complain about how much fuel it uses? Or say “Wow. I’m driving a Ferrari.”

Sublime Text == Ferrari
good neighbour == developers
complaining user == ?

0 Likes

If you don’t want to buy it don’t buy it.
I’ve used ST2 for a long time when I was a student, but never bought it because I didn’t have much money to spare. When I got a job I didn’t have to think twice about buying ST3. It’s great and considering the time I spend using it ST hardly costs me anything.

0 Likes

Sublime Text is the best software purchase I’ve ever made. I’ll happily buy ST3 the day it goes on sale even if the price is 10x ST2. My only complaint about this software is that it has set the bar so high, every other software is trash in comparison.

I look back at the days when I was sadly leaving Textmate, and I can’t believe I ever dragged my feet. Sublime Text is the best software I’ve ever used.

(Although I still miss the transparency feature Textmate had.)

0 Likes

I use vim/gvim/cream, emacs, jed, kate and now Sublime Text on Kubuntu linux depending on exactly what I need to do.

Admittedly I may never get to learn how to use any of these to the full but I bought ST purely for its regex and search capabilities. With huge text files to edit and keep up to date I found that the other linux editors that I have available just didn’t meet my needs. $70 was very well spent in my case.

0 Likes

Months ago, I’d say Sublime Text is totally worth the price and isn’t expensive at all.
But the fact you get zero support with it and he rarely responds to a support request, Jon refuses to turn on email notification for the forums so you have to waste tons of time checking for responses to posts or just not get any responses I’d have to say yes it is over priced.

Love the product, and really love it works on Windows & Mac so seamlessly but at a premium price for a text editor the lack of respect he has for his customers is epic.

0 Likes

sourceforge.net/p/updatescanner

That said, the support here is quite bad indeed.

0 Likes

[quote=“tux.”]

sourceforge.net/p/updatescanner

That said, the support here is quite bad indeed.[/quote]

It isn’t quite bad, it’s non-existent.

I don’t use firefox, but I have a tool I use to monitor for updates, but it’s a pain to have to keep adding each thread and having it go out and check hundreds of threads over time for updates. It’s pathetic having to do that just because Jon thinks setting up a mail server is too much work (it is likely already available on his Rackspace server and if not it takes 30 seconds to setup) yet takes us thousands of hours to monitor on our end.

0 Likes

Unbelievable!!

You bleat about getting no support and think the software is too expensive.

If it is so bad why are so many users here talking about how great it is.
What do want Jon to do? Continue working on making a great product or respond to your whining?

All I can say is, if I were Jon I would be glad not having to deal with inconsiderate and ignorant users like you.

If you don’t like something, just walk away from it. Or are you just here to spark a response?

0 Likes

Because they don’t want to fiddle with Emacs which can do everything Sublime Text can do (except PCRE support) but need more configuration?

Seriously, Sublime Text is a good product out of the box. It just becomes a pain in the ass if you need support.

0 Likes

[quote=“GrantSP”]Unbelievable!!

You bleat about getting no support and think the software is too expensive.

If it is so bad why are so many users here talking about how great it is.
What do want Jon to do? Continue working on making a great product or respond to your whining?

All I can say is, if I were Jon I would be glad not having to deal with inconsiderate and ignorant users like you.

If you don’t like something, just walk away from it. Or are you just here to spark a response?[/quote]

I actually love the product and have stated this many times. I hate the lack of respect for his paying customers.

What are we children? No one is whining here, we are making a point and a valid one at that. He is running a business, you buy something you expect support. it doesn’t need to be him, it has to be someone. He can hire someone if he doesn’t want to do it. Expecting support with a product you are paying a premium for (and $70 for a text editor with a $30 upgrade fee around the corner is a premium) is not whining. What you are doing is more akin to whining than anything else, so go put your big boy pants on.

0 Likes

I have to admit I find the lack of forum notifications annoying as well. It means if I ask a question, I have to come back to see if there are any answers or suggestions.

I don’t believe I am whining. On the one hand, I don’t believe developers become slaves of users. They put out a product, we pay, that’s the deal. And of course Jon can charge what he likes. But on the other hand, I do believe some developers make apps that are pretty good but have bugs or issues that linger, releases that come but only slowly, and so on. In those cases it seems like they are content to let the money flow one way but not to have anything but a single download flow another way. No roadmap etc. In fact that is the entire reason I am here, TextMate is great but obviously the developers were being that way, so I came here.

I only use two paid programs day to day on Mac to make stuff: Sublime Text and Pixelmator. One is a text editor and the other is an image editing programming. Similar sorts of programs for similar demographics. Pixelmator is much less expensive ($15 vs. $70) but I would say it’s a better program, doing more with more polish and documentation. Plus if I have issues, a google search reveals active forums with answers from the company. They don’t always have the answer I’m looking for but at least they’re trying.

So I’m in the position of wanting to love Sublime Text and its community and say $70 is a worthy price, but I can’t endorse it yet. And I’ll pay for the upgrade but I’ll do it grudgingly. If there were a better editor out there I’d switch. Or I’ve thought of writing my own text editor, but I’d rather make games. I just think if I were making a text editor, I’d want my users to pay not just because they are held hostage by there not being a better option, but because I’m offering solid value for their money.

That’s my opinion, call it whining if you will.

0 Likes

Well, nowdays price is 70$, I have to say it, sublime text is awsome, the best text editor that I have been using around. But yet, st it self is not valuable for 70$ in my opinion, it is a software for 25$ - 50$. What probably does the value of 70$ is the community creating those plugins for sublime, those guys are the people that make using sublime a delightful experience. But not a cent of those 70$ goes to the community sublime supporters. So yes, it is overprice product. But I’m pretty sure that this is one of the reason of why people is moving to vcode ( free and light ). However I still want to buy the license (personal, I have a business license ), I do really thanks developer for sublime existence, but probably a donate option would be appropriate.

0 Likes

Just want to mention, you said it’s not even an IDE. Well I have 2 PHP IDE’s and I still use SublimeText 90% of the time because it simply works better than my IDE’s!

1 Like

I don’t think a store selling $20 gallons of cow milk in slightly prettier packaging than Fairway does becomes more reasonable or less surprising just because you specifically happen to be in the cheese industry; your salary or field is a very small bit of this specific discussion imo.

ITEM : ITEM OWNER’S SALARY is not the most useful metric to determine whether an item’s pricing model is fair; ITEM : OTHER ITEMS OCCUPYING SAME MARKET NICHE, ITEM : OTHER ITEMS SERVING SIMILAR DEMOGRAPHICS, etc. seem more helpful for the discussion for the whole community. I’ve justified buying incredibly specialized tools because I’m a Venetian glassblower by trade, but at the end of the day they’re still $400 scissors. My ability to justify, afford (or write off) the cost of something doesn’t retroactively affect the cost of the item for everybody else.

To answer the t.c.'s question, I honestly think the broadest and simplest answer of “Because there’s nothing stopping them from charging you $60, but there’s also virtually nothing pressuring you to pay $60” is the reason why the devs can charge that much when gedit offers similar syntactical awareness and highlighting, and .xml themes, and vim offers a similarly community-developed platform for plugins (or two, in vim’s case).

If Sublime constantly showed pop-ups interrupting your work onscreen, or limited your ability to save, or even attempted to justify the cost with a bunch of poor-me, it cost $x to develop this and $y to develop that…nobody would feel the urge to support them, small/indie company or not.

They’ve hit a really good balance between self-confidence (“we know we’re charging more than others because we think we’ve made a superior product”) and humble self-restraint (they don’t spam for donations, they respect your workflow, they request but don’t guilt or demand) is the only reason people are willingly paying and not regretting it.

There are times when splitting a fullscreen terminal, switching over to zsh or fish, and opening vim and pearl plugins, serves me way better than opening up Sublime, and all of that stuff is more feature-rich and cost-free, but ST3 is still one of my top purchases this year because it’s polished, functional, helpful, pretty, and most of all apparently made with pride by people with good heads on their shoulders.

1 Like

Why ST2 is $70 even 2017, five years since last release?
Easy answer. Because it is good software.

Want another oldie goldie? Give TransType 4 a spin.
Swear those two are identical twins, in digital Nirvana.

Darned if we do. No way we don’t. ANXIOUS?
:joy: :alarm_clock: :fire_engine: ((me too))

0 Likes

Which is WHY it works better. NO IDE!

You do not want Apple, or even worse Microsoft developing Sublime.

That would flush all of us straight down her Royal ST [something tank]… FRACK!

0 Likes