Sublime Forum

Sublime 2

Hello.
I want to start programming in c++ and don’t know where to start.
I like Sublime 2 and want to know which compiler was used, which IDE(qt, gtk+, etc), frameworks. Also I know that Sublime was written with own GUI toolkit.
Especially interesting in Windows-side tools.
Sorry if I said something wrong, right now I don’t know about c++ anything.

0 Likes

I can’t answer your questions but I do know that if you try to start programming in C++ by working with GUIs, you’ll fall flat on your face. Every GUI framework that I know of assumes far too much core C++ knowledge for a newbie to make any significant progress.

This is one of the things a lot of perspective C++ programmers find hard to come to terms with: you have to spend a fair bit of time developing console apps with the core language to really get into graphical stuff. I mean, it’s not a bad idea to understand the core of any language before you do GUIs, but a lot of higher level languages like Java and C# provide a lower barrier to entry and “instant” gratification by providing GUI APIs as part of their standard libraries.

If you’re still serious about getting into C++ then get the free Visual Studio C++ Express edition, get started on the typical beginner’s resources like cprogramming.com/tutorial.html and try not to transfix too much on a single goal because you’ll probably end up demotivated by the learning curve.

0 Likes

Thank you.
Is Visual Studio cross-platform?
probably I said it wrong, if it, so how to make cross-platform apps?

0 Likes