Sublime Forum

Sync'd with DropBox, what about when I update Sublime?

Howdy,

Quite new to Sublime Text, and purchased a license only the other day, but so far I’m in love!

Anyway, I’ve sync’d my copy of Sublime Text 2 using the method that seems to be popular (misfoc.us/post/18018400006/synci … ia-dropbox) but symlinking the Pristine Packages, Packages and Installed Packages folders and all is great.

However, I’m slightly worried that when it comes to update Sublime to the next version what will happen? Of course Sublime stores its main files in the app folder, but surely, for example, there maybe updates needed to the Packages/Default directory? I mean Sublime needs to update the default key binding folder when new key shortcuts come about with new features right?

So what would be the ideal way of updating Sublime in this case?

Any help appreciated!

ta

0 Likes

The “correct” way to sync if you are using Package Control is to only sync your Packages/User/ folder and your Settings folder. Package Control will automatically install missing packages (with the appropriate version for the current platform) and Sublime Text can update its own packages. If you install custom packages not available through the default channel, just be sure to use the “Add Repository” command to add the GitHub repo URL. This way Package Control will know where to get the package and its updates.

I don’t know if it is possible to sync multiple folders like that via dropbox, but I would try that.

The other downside is if you have manually installed packages not through Package Control. In that case, those packages will not be automatically installed on your other machines. If possible, copy the package into a GitHub repo and add the URL through the PC “Add Repository” command.

0 Likes

Cheers Will, all my packages are from package control any way so that’s fine.

I did initially only sync those folders anyway, but most guides online said do all the folders so I did. I’ll go back to the user and settings folder.

Thanks again

0 Likes