Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 Beta

“Sublime Text now scans the files in your project, and builds an index of which files contain which symbols.”

Any idea if it will now allow fuzzy autocomplete from the project-wide index? This is something I’ve been dreaming of having.

For example, instead of having to type out “$this->my_model->method_name()”, I could just type “thimymomethnam” and it would suggest it to me. Until now, I’d have to type out each section separately.

Thanks.

0 Likes

I have to agree that allowing autocomplete from the “Symbol into project” index would be beyond useful!

There’s always github.com/alienhard/SublimeAllAutocomplete, but it only completes from currently open files, and doesn’t even work with ST3 yet.

0 Likes

I can’t imagine the index being very useful for auto-complete. It’d bee too noisy

I think I can remember Jon saying said he’d actually tried it and came to a like conclusion.

It would need intelligence to know what this is as part of "$this->my_model->method_name()"

The symbol indexing is done without much comprehension of the syntax. It’s just using the text mate grammars.

If only eh ? That sounds tricky

0 Likes

AFAIK, the index database is a simple key/value store with value being an array of (file,line)

That’s pretty rudimentary

0 Likes

Well, going any further would require dynamic analysis of the code. This would be heavily language bound and error-prone IMO, especially for dynamically typed languages where you cannot tell the type of an object from reading the code.

0 Likes

[quote=“castles_made_of_sand”]I can’t imagine the index being very useful for auto-complete. It’d bee too noisy

I think I can remember Jon saying said he’d actually tried it and came to a like conclusion.

It would need intelligence to know what this is as part of "$this->my_model->method_name()"

The symbol indexing is done without much comprehension of the syntax. It’s just using the text mate grammars.

If only eh ? That sounds tricky[/quote]

I’d say it would save me a ton of time =) I think it should at least be an option in the preferences.

Check out this autocomplete addon for codeigniter: github.com/martinredola/sublime … ompletions. Does that file look complicated?

It’s a 45kb file, and provides all the codeigniter functions (which is a lot). Now, instead of typing out $this->session->userdata(‘item’);, I type: “thisessuser”. If you’re doing this all the time, you can see how much time it saves. A breakdown: typing “thi” brings up all functions related to “$this->”; typing “sess” bring up everything related to “$this->session->”, and “user” brings up $this->session->userdata(‘item’) or set_userdata(‘item’); Not having to type out all the arrows and only parts of the methods is fantastic–it’s pretty much instant. I only wish that my own custom methods could be indexed in such a manner. At least make it an option, you know? For me, that would make Sublime Text 3 a no-brainer. It would complete set it apart from any IDE or other text editor. Fuzzy autocomplete is why I use it in the first place =)

0 Likes

Package Control has been initially ported to ST3. Right now it is broken on Windows due to a lack of the ssl module. Definitely works on Linux and should work on OS X with build 3008.

wbond.net/sublime_packages/packa … lation#ST3

Right now it is just a 1-to-1 port to Python 3. None of the changes necessary have been made yet to support specifying what version of ST a package works with, or support for not extracting .sublime-package files. The install only works from Git due to the CA certs needing to be able to be loaded from the filesystem for the various downloaders. Probably later tonight I will find a way to get it to extract the certs so the console install will work again.

0 Likes

Quick panel seems to have picked up a small bug, if you have a slightly inconsistent list.

If you do:

results = 'one', 'two', 'three']
self.quick_panel(results, self.panel_done,
            sublime.MONOSPACE_FONT)

It works fine. But if you do:

results = "part one", "subtext"], 'two', 'three']
self.quick_panel(results, self.panel_done,
            sublime.MONOSPACE_FONT)

…the entries without the subtext get cut off.

This is fixable by just making sure all the list items are in the subtext form, but it’s still a regression from ST2.

0 Likes

@kemayo. Confirmed regression with quickpanels

0 Likes

Hello everyone,

I purchased in August last year. For what it’s worth, I must agree with several people in regards to the extremely fast paid upgrade to v3, I think it is a bit unfair to customers who purchased the product in the last few months, especially since there are no compelling new features (yet). My suggestion would be $15 upgrades to those who purchased in the last 6 or so months, although I will definitely purchase the upgrade even at $30 to support the development of this amazing editor (I can’t begin to explain how much I love it!!!).

Now onto more important things…

A few feature requests which I really really hope you’ll consider:

Notepad Replacement

Sublime Text 2/3 does not support the -z option correctly for replacing Notepad on Windows machines. See Windows Notepad Replacement. I have been using the small exe here (github.com/grumpydev/Sublime-No … eplacement) to do it which has worked OK so far, but this really REALLY should be built right in. Especially now that ST3 opens as fast as Notepad, there’s no reason at all that all Windows users wouldn’t replace Notepad with it. I used to use this all the time with Notepad2 (before discovering ST2).

Legacy Themes (on Windows)

In Windows, ST2/ST3 still use legacy themes, making the application look like it’s running on Windows 98 :smile:

vs

Can you please use theme support for your dialogs on the ST3 Windows build?

Font Reset Issue

Preferences / Font / Reset does not seem to respect the following attribute I have defined in my user settings file:

“font_size”: 13

It also doesn’t seem to follow what’s in the default settings file (if I override it). Instead it always seems to reset the font size back to 10. Can you please repair this to follow the font size set in settings?

Syntax Highlighting for Markdown with Monokai

I don’t see syntax highlighting working with Markdown and the default Monokai theme (which is my favourite). Why is this the case?

Cheers

0 Likes

[quote=“fgimian”]Font Reset Issue

Preferences / Font / Reset does not seem to respect the following attribute I have defined in my user settings file:

“font_size”: 13

It also doesn’t seem to follow what’s in the default settings file (if I override it). Instead it always seems to reset the font size back to 10. Can you please repair this to follow the font size set in settings?[/quote]

Due to how the font size adjustment works this is not possible because it edits the settings object and saves the changes into “User/Preferences.sublime-settings”. Resetting the font size erases the entry in the file completely and results in ST using the default value. For reference, see “Default/font.py”. However, try this plugin: github.com/SublimeText/RevertFontSize/

0 Likes

Looks like JPS stepped out of this thread when too many people started complaining about upgrade pricing but hope you get to see this.
I bought Sublime Text 2 at the end of November, and would agree it should fall into the “upgrade” window, but I would pay for the upgrade regardless as it is something I use and love daily.

But I don’t see me upgrading to ST3 for one big reason, plugins. I am all for efficiency and speed, in fact I’m a junkie regarding this. But it is going to be some time 6-12 months before the plugins I use and depend on have support for ST3. I don’t want to have to learn python and hack them myself, and some of them are likely not maintained much making it very slow for them to get updated. For me, a lot of my workflow depends on certain plugins. Some of them I really depend on.

0 Likes

I have a feeling that many of the big popular ones will be ported in a few weeks to a month (I am working on mine right now). The simpler ones are probably easier to fix. The 2to3 binary that comes with Python 3 helps quite a bit if you don’t know all of the changes between 2.6 and 3.3.

0 Likes

That seems like an accurate assessment to me

0 Likes

[quote=“wbond”]

I have a feeling that many of the big popular ones will be ported in a few weeks to a month (I am working on mine right now). The simpler ones are probably easier to fix. The 2to3 binary that comes with Python 3 helps quite a bit if you don’t know all of the changes between 2.6 and 3.3.[/quote]

Agreed, but it just takes one or two critical ones to disrupt the workflow and make upgrading not worth it.
One plugin I use a lot and would hate to lose is Corona Sublime, but I suspect it would take some time for that to be updated.

0 Likes

github.com/drowne/Corona-Sublime

This doesn’t actually seem to have any python plugins?

Packages that are just syntaxes/snippets etc should just work

0 Likes

Emmet (ZenCoding) unfortunately relies on PyV8, which last I checked a month or so ago, isn’t Python 3 ready yet.

Porting that to Python 3 will be a bit of a task

0 Likes

Jon, can we expect to hide menu under Linux ? I really miss this feature !

Thanks for your work

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]For ST3 (Windows) after a quick look at the portable version:
(- show_quick_panel has a new on_highlight callback ! Yeah !!! thanks Jon.) [this is not a feature request but whatever :wink: ]
- Still no way to know what’s modified on the on_modified event… :frowning: [Not too necessary but could reduce ressources needed in order to see what has changed]
- Still no way to add custom information in the status bar (like indentation and syntax) ? [That’d be insanely awesome, for instance with line endings]
[/quote]

I’d really like these features in ST, please add them to your roadmap if they aren’t already.

[quote=“jps”]Indexed symbols are controlled by the showInIndexedSymbolList preference, which is defined in .tmPreferences files. Most syntax definitions are covered by the contents of Default/Symbols.tmPreferences, but the scala syntax definition appears to assign scope names differently.

In short, you need to edit “Packages/Scala/Symbols.tmPreferences” and change it to: …][/quote]

The default implementations use a file named “Symbol List.tmPreferences” for this but after testing various file names it seems like this doesn’t matter at all. It even doesn’t matter if the “name” key inside is not “Symbol List” so it appears that the only interesting parts about them are that it the file contains dict which has a “settings” and a “scope” key. Anyway, regarding the tmPreferences and other tm* files, I created a new topic about xml not being the best choice because this is a new issue and does not revolve here. ST3 might be a good opportunity to take this step now or at least soon.

0 Likes

I just want to support all those people who complain about price increasing. Don’t like new price policy at all. Especially taking in account that features like speed optimizations should be just a part of normal application development (not an indicator of a new release), and pane management was pretty the same in ST2 with origami plugin.

It all looks like the late Apple updates — you should call this new release Sublime Text 2S. If it’s just about money making, I start to regret that I switched from Vim and spend my time on configuring Sublime and writing plugins…

0 Likes