Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 Beta

Feels like this site needs an account area that can properly track purchases etc. I only say this as the mention of people who very recently bought get a discount etc (I bought my copy yesterday, mind you I’m only paying $5 on top so that’s cool), but it feels a bit disjointed not being able to look up my current license status, upgrade options etc, and I imagine doing so would take some workload off of the support team (I can only imagine you’d have to contact via support to get the upgrade discount, rather than have your purchase date registered in a DB, check that against the conditions of the discount and apply it via checkout).

Just a mention. With the mention of issues ill just stick to ST2 for now; I have a lot of master yet.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]
Indexing is fully asynchronous, and does no work in the main thread. I do most of my testing using the chromium project (>100k files), and observe no slowdowns.[/quote]

Is there any way to debug issue that cause editor to lag even when typing the text? I want to find solution for this because it’s really annoying.
This happening only on this huge project - all others smaller projects works great.

0 Likes

I have some suggestions for default Preferences.sublime-settings.

Line 267

// OS X 10.7 only: Set to true to disable Lion style full screen support.

Now that Sublime Text 3 only supports OS X 10.7 and later, this should be like this.

// OS X only: Set to true to disable Lion style full screen support.

Line 271 to 275

// OS X only. Valid values are true, false, and "auto". Auto will enable
    // the setting when running on a screen 2880 pixels or wider (i.e., a
    // Retina display). When this setting is enabled, OpenGL is used to
    // accelerate drawing. Sublime Text must be restarted for changes to take
    // effect.

The threshold of screen width should be 2560, not 2880, because the screen resolution of MacBook Pro 13-inch Retina is 2560 by 1600.

0 Likes

>>> import urllib.request Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in <module> File "X/urllib/request.py", line 88, in <module> File "X/http/client.py", line 69, in <module> File "X/email/parser.py", line 12, in <module> File "X/email/feedparser.py", line 27, in <module> File "X/email/message.py", line 16, in <module> ImportError: cannot import name utils
Win7 32bit

0 Likes

:astonished:

0 Likes

Thanks. That worked great. Awesome job with Sublime Text 3.

0 Likes

startup, version: 3006 windows x64 channel: stable
BUG1:
If I have my own tmLanguage that replace an existing one:

SQL\SQL.tmLanguage OracleSQL\PL_SQL (Oracle).tmLanguage
And both register .sql extension, in ST2 when opening a .sql file the PL_SQL (Oracle).tmLanguage was used, in ST3 it’s the SQL.tmLanguage.

Creating a file User\PL_SQL (Oracle).sublime-settings containing:

[code]{
“extensions”:

"sql"
]

}[/code]
Doesn’t work either.

BUG2:
Macros from Default folder appears in Macros sub menu but couldn’t be loaded.

0 Likes

Can you give us more details? I don’t understand why the reduced upgrade price depends on the “actual date of the 3.0 release” and tbh I think this clause is kind of useless. Why? According to your blog “All licenses purchased at this new price are valid for Sublime Text 3” - or to put it in other words - all new purchases (from now on) include a ST2 AND ST3 license. It’s not possible to buy a license for $59 from now on and so the upgrade discount just affects users who bought the license for $59 in the past and I think you should make a clear statement NOW who qualifies for a discount - this makes the pricing transparent for everyone. Eg I bought the license on the 31.08.2012 and I just used the software for 5 months. Paying the full upgrade price of 30$ for 5 months usage is steep.

0 Likes

[quote=“Dude”]

Can you give us more details? I don’t understand why the reduced upgrade price depends on the “actual date of the 3.0 release” and tbh I think this clause is senseless. Why? According to your blog “All licenses purchased at this new price are valid for Sublime Text 3” - or to put it in other words - all new purchases (from now on) include a ST2 AND ST3 license. It’s not possible to buy a license for $59 from now on and so the upgrade discount just affects users who bought the license for $59 in the past and I think you should make a clear statement NOW who qualifies for a discount - this makes the pricing transparent for everyone. Eg I bought the license on the 31.08.2012 and I just used the software for 5 months. Paying the full upgrade price of 30$ for 5 months usage is steep…[/quote]

I think there must some valid date range that will be announced later.

0 Likes

Yes, but actually the date range should not change because all “new” users won’t be affected by the upgrade offer anymore. It makes no sense to announce the date range later.

0 Likes

BUG3 ?

>>> view.sel()-1] Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in <module> File "C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\sublime.py", line 392, in __getitem__ raise IndexError() IndexError
could be replaced by:

view.sel()[len(view.sel())-1]

but it’s not as elegant as before.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

The first version of Sublime Text 2 was available to registered users on September 17, 2010, with the most recent build being on September 18, 2012. 2 years of continuous updates is a massive amount. In reality, counting should start from January 18, 2008, as everyone who purchased then received updates until September 2012, four and a half years later.[/quote]

You are the only one with the numbers but I would suspect the vast majority of your registered users came within the last year and a half. Extended updates for original users is one thing but it seems like you are gouging newer users. $30 upgrade for a $59 piece of software purchased within the last year is hard to swallow. Perhaps you should clarify the upgrade pricing with dates ranges for your users.

0 Likes

BUG:
Selection.add ignore the Region.xpos property, so setting a value for xpos doesn’t work anymore:

class Selection(object): def add(self, x): if isinstance(x, Region): sublime_api.view_selection_add_region(self.view_id, x.a, x.b) else: sublime_api.view_selection_add_point(self.view_id, x)

0 Likes

kramed and the other complainers, your logic is flawed. Here are two options: a) count the beta as a new version. If you think like that, ST2 has been around for over two years so it has a pretty long product cycle. b) Do not count betas as a new version. In that case ST3 is just a beta and you can happily use ST2.

So your argument only makes sense if you do not count the ST2 beta but you count the ST3 beta. That doesn’t make any sense. The developer has done awesome work and ST3 has so many important under the hood chances, which required a lot of work and will significant enhance the user experience. Maybe they are not all visible right away but I am sure more features are going to follow.

0 Likes

@jps

1. Is it possible to make go to symbol within project pop up previews?
  2. Is go to definition supposed to learn from previous user selections?
  3. Would it be possible to hook into go to definition to filter out irrelevant suggestions?
  4. How do I ignore certain folders in the sidebar from being indexed?
0 Likes

[quote=“kramed”]

The first version of Sublime Text 2 was available to registered users on September 17, 2010, with the most recent build being on September 18, 2012. 2 years of continuous updates is a massive amount. In reality, counting should start from January 18, 2008, as everyone who purchased then received updates until September 2012, four and a half years later.

You are the only one with the numbers but I would suspect the vast majority of your registered users came within the last year and a half. Extended updates for original users is one thing but it seems like you are gouging newer users. $30 upgrade for a $59 piece of software purchased within the last year is hard to swallow. Perhaps you should clarify the upgrade pricing with dates ranges for your users.[/quote]

IMHO, the main mistake of jps was to not publish a stable build way before…
If it had published a stable build 2.0 back in 2011, and add a few minor build after, no one would complain today.
I bought my license early 2011, 2 years ago, and use ST2 exclusively since, so 30$ now for all the works put in ST look like a bargain for me.

Currently ST3 is in BETA stage with no stable build release date, which could be, if jps follow the same path as ST2, in a very long time.

0 Likes

[quote=“xeno.by”]@jps

1. Is it possible to make go to symbol within project pop up previews?
  2. Is go to definition supposed to learn from previous user selections?
  3. Would it be possible to hook into go to definition to filter out irrelevant suggestions?
  4. How do I ignore certain folders in the sidebar from being indexed?[/quote]

The GotoDefinition command is defined in a file symbol.py in the Default.sublime-package (which is a zip file) in your installation folder (C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\Packages for Windows).
So I suppose you can copy and paste the content of the file in a new file of your User folder, rename the class and adapt it to your need.

0 Likes

Here’s a funny bug, when I open up a directory in Sublime Text 3 on Mac OS I see a whole slew of icons populate my dock that collapse into one. I have a bash alias

alias subl="'/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin/subl'"

and I just open a directory such as subl ~/Library/Preferences/ to reproduce

0 Likes

Any roadmaps for future releases?..
I bought ST2 in May 2012 and from that time got only few updates, last was in September and no official info at all after that! Soon I will pay other $15 (or 30… not sure how much…) and no updates again till 4th will be released? :smile:
All this looks a bit confusing and expensive… even for good text editor.
I’m expecting to have free upgrades at least during next year after purchase and more info about future releases… Please consider this.

0 Likes

Man, I was already behind a number of plugins do to varies reasons. Now I have to port them all…sigh…

Glad to see new builds though. I am excited to see and try out the new stuff coming.

0 Likes