Sublime Forum

Open source?

No it’s not, but I wish. There are so many things I’d like to change in this almost insanely great editor, but requests just queue up in the corporate inbox.

Tell me jps, what kind of money would you need to open source this beauty?

1 Like

ttb

0 Likes

Yes. Plus, that will make the software “eternal” - it won’t simply die when the dev eventually becomes bored.

[quote]

There will be something to say on that front soon.[/quote]

I really wonder what he mean with this. Would be awesome if Google or Eclipse or something bought it, and made it free & open source (not because I don’t want to pay - I already have - but because it would make the user base explode. think of all the plugins!). But if that was the case, it wouldn’t be any point discussing “upgrade fees” etc. :confused:

jps! :’ Can you tell us Something?

1 Like

Open Source is not without it’s own problems. Many open source projects that are successful and widely used are because corporations invest man hours into these projects. So if Sublime Text was open sourced, I wouldn’t start celebrating until I knew there was a commitment from an organization to invest into improving and supporting it.

There is nothing stopping you or anyone from creating an open source editor that works like Sublime Text too.
Actually if you want to develop on an open source editor check out Brackets.

1 Like