Sublime Forum

Zen Coding no longer works?

I’m currently using Sublime Text 2 and the Zen coding plugin has suddenly stopped working in the last couple of days. I reinstalled and still didnt have any luck.

0 Likes

github.com/sergeche/emmet-sublime

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. However it would be useful to know what went wrong with the zen coding plugin. i had got used to the shortcuts and Emmett appears to interfere with other shortcuts I have such as php completion. I’m sure there are ways of remapping keys but that doesnt seem satisfactory.

0 Likes

That package is EOL so I unpublished it.

I’m guessing you have package control and it updated to the now empty repo.

Open an issue at the Emmet repo re: the default shortcut interference

0 Likes

Emmet has an option to disable all keymaps:

"disabled_keymap_actions": ""
0 Likes

I looked over the documentation and decided that the best course for me would be to disable the tab handler feature to “disable_tab_abbreviations”: true. Is it correct that zen coding is now dead and buried as far as using it in Sublime Text is concerned with Package Control? Thanks for the help!

0 Likes

Yes it needs to be removed from package control too

0 Likes

Maybe add an install message saying that it is deprecated (until it can be removed from package control anyways)? Could also add an update message to catch any one else who hasn’t gone through an update of the repository for whatever reason.

Anyways, just an idea.

0 Likes

Did add an install message to it 3 months ago saying that it would be unpublished in two weeks

Pull request welcome

Else might get to it at some point

0 Likes

JonBeech, looks like you’ve been using a very outdated Emmet plugin. Try to re-install it from Package Control, the issue with abbreviations like php was fixed a few month ago.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, although Emmet has better features, when I tried it it was messing with basic text editor shortcuts and was also causing messages to appear saying ST is slow. The author (of Emmet) told me this is because it is written in JS and loading V8 takes some time which is outside of his control. So Emmet is no go for me. Luckily the package control keeps backups (in my case in ST/Data/Backup) so I uninstalled the ZenCoding package from package control so it wont get updated and copied the backup manually to the packages folder.

0 Likes

Yeah, is shame.

Emmet seems to over-ride some fundamental inbuilt keys like soft undo, and scroll lines. The bindings are even configured to trigger in python strings which is quite annoying.

I stuck it in ignored_packages pretty quickly myself. But it’s the future I guess.

You don’t need a backup to access ZenCoding code if you really want it, just basic git skills to wind back a commit or two.

It’s a pity neither Zen or Emmet don’t have better multiple selection support. In both, It’s kind of bolted on hackily.

0 Likes

Guys: “enable_emmet_keymap”: false in your config file, then “disabled_keymap_actions”: “all” in emmet config file and you are done. :wink:

0 Likes

Yeah, I know there’s an override key, just haven’t gotten around to it yet as haven’t really needed to use it.

Been busy with work and moving house to ST3

0 Likes

Hi everyone.

I just started to learn HTML, and I can’t figure out how to install Zen coding. I’ve tried that packagecontrol.io/installation#st2 but it didn’t work.

Thanks

0 Likes