Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

File previewing in Sublime Text 3

Re: File previewing in Sublime Text 3

Postby valeryan on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:47 pm

I would like to add that if you have an entry in your sidebar menu for deleting files and you right click on a file also opens it in a preview tab. Then when you delete the file and confirm that you want it deleted the preview tab does not close. You then have to close it and go through the "close without saving" dialog. Deleting a file is very difficult with the preview function turned on. Maybe that will be better for some people :o because it help prevent accidental deletes but I find it to be slightly annoying. So, I had to turn file previews off even-though I really like the preview function.

I don't always delete files but when I do I delete them all.

ST3:3059 on Linux
valeryan

Postby philosopherdog on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37 pm

There are two issues here: 1) is the lack of community support, and 2) the state of this project and the future of ST. I think it's obvious that there is limited support on this forum from other members. I think newbies all know this. Perhaps this is a reflection of the fact that the developer doesn't participate. Of course, you want the developer developing and not answering support questions. But he could still poke his head in once in a while. As for the second issue, I'm not in a position to comment on the details of the future of ST. However, I think the fact that this editor is commercial and mostly on the shoulders of one heroic developer makes it very vulnerable to the winds of change. The developer could have a melt down, go insane, become a monk, any number of things that could leave this editor high and dry. If this is a concern, then the best option is to consider one of the open source options: Vim or Emacs. The other thing is if you're on a Mac, there's always Textmate, which I would say looks more viable these days than ST. It's not cross platform, but it is the editor that ST cloned, and version 2 looks pretty sweet. The project is also open sourced. So, maybe there's some protection against a developer that goes missing. I'm mostly using Xcode these days, but I'm considering jumping ship to Vim or Textmate, or both.
philosopherdog

Postby ntenney on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:35 pm

OK, so here's my take on the file preview. I like the st3 way of doing it better than the st2 way. With st2, it could get confusing because if you had a file open for editing, and clicked on a file to preview, it looked (at least with some themes) that the file you were previewing was a file opened for editing, and named the same as the file you had been editing. But, I think that it should be more apparent that the file being previewed in st3 is in preview mode, and as has been mentioned, if I navigate away from the tab, it should close automatically. In other words, preview should not be functionally equivalent to opening the file for editing, or there shouldn't be a preview mode at all.
ntenney

Postby bayxsonic on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:32 pm

This definitely needs to be an option.
Every time I preview a build file, change tab and build again, ST3 actually opens the file and keeps it open, for no reason. I always end up with a lot of tabs that I never opened
bayxsonic

Postby fgimian on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:01 am

This is probably my biggest issue with ST3 right now. I believe that this is definitely a bug because when previewing files using Goto Anything, ST3 behaves exactly as ST2 did. But when using the sidebar, a tab is opened.

I really hope that this is either reverted or a setting is provided to switch this behaviour off.
fgimian

Postby sammy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:38 am

I would like ST2 behavior back as well! I don't use tabs at all, and it's annoying having Cmd+Opt+(left/right arrow) toggle between files that aren't even visible in the "Open Files" view (I only use this view instead of tabs, because tabs are for noobs).
sammy

Postby sammy on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Seriously, fuck the new way ST3 handles this. This new way is doesn't work at all for those who hide tabs (such as myself). Why? Because if you preview a file, there is a hidden "preview tab" somewhere that you can't visually see. This preview tab obtrusively gets in my way when using keyboard shortcuts to switch between files. It was so fucking annoying I went ahead and disabled previews all together, but now I have to double click and open a file to peek into it. Completely defeats the purpose of having the preview feature.

Please just bring it back to the way it was. Or, at least disable this stupid preview tab thing when you have the tab bar hidden.

May I ask what the thought process is here? What do you even have "preview tabs"? What do they serve? They're just regular tabs with an italic label.. smh
sammy

Previous

Return to General Discussion