Sublime Forum

Reducing sublime text 2 size

Hello everyone,
I started using sublime text 2 couple of days ago, and I must say; I really am in love with it.
I have created my own test language, and i would really very much like to use Sublime text 2 as the editor for it. The only problem is size, and support for other languages (i need support for single language for this build). Can anyone please direct me to any link, or guide me, so that i can reduce the excess size of it, remove unnecessary features, and make it more slimmer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ronins

edit: by unnecessary features, i mean anything unimportant which can help reduce size, including deleting certain files (if necessary), removing support for other languages, so that they do not appear in set syntax list and similar optimisations…

0 Likes

You can delete all the .sublime-package files except for “Default.sublime-package” and “Theme - Default.sublime-package” and “Color Scheme - Default.sublime-package”. You can also look inside of .sublime-package files by renaming them to .zip

0 Likes

thank you for your response, but removing some of those files are giving error messages upon launching sublime 2

0 Likes

Also, if possible, is there any stripped off version of sublime text 2 that can be directly by implementing syntax definitions for languages directly?

0 Likes

I’m not sure what your plan is, but you should probably be aware that the EULA for Sublime Text forbids redistribution. Stripping out files of your own installation is probably fine.

sublimetext.com/eula

0 Likes

The idea is to use sublime text 2 as an editor for my programming language (it is not commercial, but simply personal)… Therefore, i need the minimal version of sublime (it is simply epic)…

0 Likes

Keep Text.sublime-package as well.

0 Likes

Done that.
Deleting those files interferes with creating new build systems… I’ll keep some backup files, so that wont be a problem…
Any more ways to reduce size effectively?

0 Likes

Why do you want to reduce the size? The packages only add up to a few MB on disk.

As mentioned above, redistribution is not permitted, so bandwidth isn’t an issue.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Why do you want to reduce the size? The packages only add up to a few MB on disk.

As mentioned above, redistribution is not permitted, so bandwidth isn’t an issue.[/quote]

redistribution is not an issue, because the language is more like college project (plus personal project). Anyways, sublime takes about 22mb on disk, so i was wondering if i could bring down that size, language itself being around 3-4mb…
Plus, its always great to have a language specific editor included…
Sublime has everything i can expect from an editor, and a lot more too… So, sublime is the perfect candidate for making it editor… That said, redistribution is not an issue, its more like cutting down size of individual’s copy of the sublime…

0 Likes

Anyone?

0 Likes

I wonder too…
In a world where the unit of measure of the capacity of a hard disk is Terabyte, it looks like a waste of time.

0 Likes

I’m sorry to be blunt, but others have answered clearly already: don’t do it. It looks like you want to redistribute it, and the license doesn’t allow that.

0 Likes

Talking about Windows (ST2 Portable) here:

sublime_text.exe is already 5MB
Other runtime dlls are ~1.5MB
Python is 4MB
Other Python modules are 3.8MB

All the default packages together are 4MB (*2 in portable)

This sums up to ~20MB where you can at most delete some default packages and some Python modules you don’t use which sums up to about 9MB (counting that packages are both zipped and extracted). And I’d certainly not want to delete files from an already installed program.

0 Likes