Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Using wemux with ST2 - Pair to Linux with a Mac?

Using wemux with ST2 - Pair to Linux with a Mac?

Postby dastagg on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:34 pm

I am trying to setup a remote Pair Programming session using wemux and ST2.

One is a ThinkPad running ArchLInux and the other is a Apple MBP running MacOS 10.8.3 and the MBP does not have X-server installed on it.

ST2 is installed on both PCs.

I am using the ArchLinux PC as the SSH/TMUX server and can connect to and use VIM in Pair Mode but if I try to run ST2, it opens up on the ArchLinux PC but on the MacOS PC it errors with: (sublime_text:2513): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display.

I have tried ssh xxx@<ip-address> and also ssh -X xxx@<ip-address> but neither worked. (yeah, I know, X-server is not installed on the Mac but I had to try it and I would really rather not install X-server on the Mac but if someone tells me: Oh Yeah, install it and then it WILL work, I will install it.)

I have not yet tried using the MBP as the wemux server and 1) Would rather not as it is easier to set up new user-id on Linux then MacOS and 2) The code is on ArchLinux PC so I really would like it to work with ArchLinux playing the server role.)

Any suggestions on how we can use wemux and ST2 to do Pair Programming?

P.S. As an aside: Can anyone share success stories of using wemux and ST2 and if so, what were the machines used? (Mac and Mac or Linux and Linux or Linux and Windows etc.)
dastagg

Re: Using wemux with ST2 - Pair to Linux with a Mac?

Postby wbond on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 pm

Unless I am missing something, wemux seems to be built on tmux, which is a terminal multiplexer. You can pair with wemux and vim because vim runs in your terminal. Sublime Text does not run in a terminal.

I have not used it, but there is a package for ST2 and ST3 called Floobits that should allow for pairing.
wbond

Return to General Discussion