Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

absolutely fundamental question

absolutely fundamental question

Postby ldecola on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:21 pm

my graphic design daughter recommended that i try sublime text 2 for HTML coding, but in experimenting with it i made everything but the top and bottom little grey lines (the program and status lines) disappear...so how do i get some kind of menu?

the documentation needs a section for really fundamental questions like this (or did i miss it?)...
ldecola
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby skuroda on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 am

I'm slightly confused by your description. Can you post a screenshot of it?
skuroda
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 am

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby riffito on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 pm

ldecola wrote:my graphic design daughter recommended that i try sublime text 2 for HTML coding, but in experimenting with it i made everything but the top and bottom little grey lines (the program and status lines) disappear...so how do i get some kind of menu?

the documentation needs a section for really fundamental questions like this (or did i miss it?)...



Try with this:

* Hit: CTRL+Shift+P
* Type: menu
* If you see an item called, "View: Toggle menu" just select it and hit Enter.

You should have your menu back.
riffito
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby ldecola on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 pm

that works - but where is something as cryptic as CTRL+Shift+P documented...is there a tutorial?

thanks for your patience!
ldecola
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby adzenith on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Hah! It's documented in the tools menu.
I think you can also just press and release the "alt" key, though, to get the menu back in most applications (I'm assuming you're running on Windows) or move the mouse to the top of the screen (Mac OS).
adzenith
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby skuroda on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:24 am

ldecola wrote:that works - but where is something as cryptic as CTRL+Shift+P documented...is there a tutorial?

thanks for your patience!

It's probably worthwhile to go through some of these videos since you are just getting started with/testing ST.

https://tutsplus.com/course/improve-wor ... me-text-2/
skuroda
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 am

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby ldecola on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm

as an educator of 50 years experience, by 'tutorial' i mean a document or video that begins with the basics. R's http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html is a reasonable example. the tutsplus video turned me off because it begins with the fancy stuff. I would start by showing the viewer how to edit a simple text file, and then proceed to the simplest features, then saving, etc.

maybe i'm hard on Jeffrey, after all, he calls it a 'course' and not a tutorial... perhaps O'Reilly will come out with a book.

but thanks for your help - I'll keep using it for my (simple) HTML coding...and hope i don't hit any more wrong buttons!
ldecola
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby svenax on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:08 am

ldecola wrote:as an educator of 50 years experience, by 'tutorial' i mean a document or video that begins with the basics. R's http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html is a reasonable example. the tutsplus video turned me off because it begins with the fancy stuff. I would start by showing the viewer how to edit a simple text file, and then proceed to the simplest features, then saving, etc.

maybe i'm hard on Jeffrey, after all, he calls it a 'course' and not a tutorial... perhaps O'Reilly will come out with a book.

but thanks for your help - I'll keep using it for my (simple) HTML coding...and hope i don't hit any more wrong buttons!


The assumption is probably that people that want to use an advanced programmers editor like Sublime Text do not need hand-holding on things like typing, opening, saving, and such.
svenax
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby Shubit on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 am

ldecola wrote:as an educator of 50 years experience, by 'tutorial' i mean a document or video that begins with the basics. R's http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html is a reasonable example. the tutsplus video turned me off because it begins with the fancy stuff. I would start by showing the viewer how to edit a simple text file, and then proceed to the simplest features, then saving, etc.

maybe i'm hard on Jeffrey, after all, he calls it a 'course' and not a tutorial... perhaps O'Reilly will come out with a book.

but thanks for your help - I'll keep using it for my (simple) HTML coding...and hope i don't hit any more wrong buttons!

such a 'tutorial' would bore all the people that know how to use a text editor ;)
and people that don't know (and how should they as this stuff wasn't educated 50 years ago) need some kind of basic computer control course. Things like opening and savings files are nearly the same for all kinds of editors, would be stupid if every editing program has those things documented.
Shubit
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: absolutely fundamental question

Postby kauranamoda on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:33 am

Hi!
I am just new to Sublime Text who wishes to switch from Dreamweaver CS4. Due to the fact that i'm familiar with WYSIWYG software, I find it hard using ST because it doesn't provide enough thigs I need in autocompletion.
To be precise, how do I get css properties just like Dreamweaver by simply typing the first few letters? Sublime seems to provide very little amount compared to Dreamweaver and I would also want to be able to get list of the available fonts in my computer when using something like
CODE: SELECT ALL
font:
in CSS.

Thanks
kauranamoda
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:46 am

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flaith and 27 guests