Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Dev Build 3023

Dev Build 3023

Postby jps on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Dev Build 3023 is out now. There are two core changes in this build:

* New Auto Update system for Windows and OS X. Some users have been experiencing issues with Sparkle (the previous OS X auto update system) and ST3, that didn't exist under ST2. I haven't been able to reproduce any of the issues. Given an auto update system was needed for Windows anyway, Sublime Text now has its own auto updater. The new auto update system is able to do delta based updates, so a new build will now typically be <10% of the previous size. In terms of user experience, the new auto update is fairly similar to Sparkle, and isn't a Chrome style silent auto update.

* Telemetry. Sublime Text can now report some anonymous usage information, which includes computer specifications, startup time, installed packages, and edited file types. File names and contents are never sent. Telemetry is disabled by default in this build, but the plan is to enable it by default in future dev builds, and keep it disabled by default in future regular builds. Telemetry can be explicitly enabled or disabled with the enable_telemetry setting.
jps
Site Admin

Re: Dev Build 3023

Postby weslly on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 am

I've opened the update window to see how it looks and got this:

weslly

Postby jps on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:25 am

This will be because your .sublime-theme file doesn't define any rules for the new controls:

Code: Select all
{
    "class": "progress_bar_control",
    "layer0.tint": [32, 32, 32],
    "layer0.opacity": 1.0,
},

{
    "class": "progress_gauge_control",
    "layer0.tint": [43, 102, 201],
    "content_margin": [0, 6]
},

{
    "class": "dialog",
    "layer0.tint": [64, 64, 64],
    "layer0.opacity": 1.0
},

In hindsight, I should have hardcoded these as defaults, so the update window isn't broken for people using a non-default theme.
jps
Site Admin

Postby wbond on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:27 am

jps wrote:* New Auto Update system for Windows and OS X. Some users have been experiencing issues with Sparkle (the previous OS X auto update system) and ST3, that didn't exist under ST2. I haven't been able to reproduce any of the issues. Given an auto update system was needed for Windows anyway, Sublime Text now has its own auto updater. The new auto update system is able to do delta based updates, so a new build will now typically be <10% of the previous size. In terms of user experience, the new auto update is fairly similar to Sparkle, and isn't a Chrome style silent auto update.

Any Linux love for delta-based updates on non-debian systems?
wbond

Postby jps on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 am

wbond wrote:Any Linux love for delta-based updates on non-debian systems?

Fundamentally, there's nothing stopping the auto updater being ported to Linux, the only platform specific part is the update installer, which moves things into the right place and is able to prompt for elevated privileges if required. My concern is that it would conflict with the regular package management system.

I guess this isn't a concern for the .tar.bz2 based version, which could auto update itself without any issues. The exception here would be any third party packages (e.g., AUR), if these reference the .tar.bz2 version, then any auto updating behaviour wouldn't be so nice.

Are there any examples of Linux programs that do their own auto updating? Google Chrome, for example, provides an apt repository, rather than use its own auto update system.
jps
Site Admin

Postby bradgessler on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:40 am

jps wrote:This will be because your .sublime-theme file doesn't define any rules for the new controls:

Code: Select all
{
    "class": "progress_bar_control",
    "layer0.tint": [32, 32, 32],
},

{
    "class": "progress_gauge_control",
    "layer0.tint": [43, 102, 201],
    "content_margin": [0, 6]
},

{
    "class": "dialog",
    "layer0.tint": [64, 64, 64],
    "layer0.opacity": 1.0
},

In hindsight, I should have hardcoded these as defaults, so the update window isn't broken for people using a non-default theme.

Same problem using the Soda Dark theme. Hard coding those defaults would be great.
bradgessler

Postby alexandernst on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 am

Best auto-updating app on Linux you'll see ever is probably Steam.
alexandernst

Postby Xaapyks on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 am

alexandernst wrote:Best auto-updating app on Linux you'll see ever is probably Steam.

This. I guess the package is just a boostrap program and it downloads / updates the actual full program in your home.

The double click behaviour in the explorer is still broken in 3023 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11647&start=0
Xaapyks

Postby andrew.stilliard on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:54 am

An apt repository like Google chrome provides would be fantastic
andrew.stilliard

Postby jbrooksuk on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:51 am

jps wrote:Dev Build 3023 is out now. There are two core changes in this build:

* New Auto Update system for Windows and OS X. Some users have been experiencing issues with Sparkle (the previous OS X auto update system) and ST3, that didn't exist under ST2. I haven't been able to reproduce any of the issues. Given an auto update system was needed for Windows anyway, Sublime Text now has its own auto updater. The new auto update system is able to do delta based updates, so a new build will now typically be <10% of the previous size. In terms of user experience, the new auto update is fairly similar to Sparkle, and isn't a Chrome style silent auto update.

* Telemetry. Sublime Text can now report some anonymous usage information, which includes computer specifications, startup time, installed packages, and edited file types. File names and contents are never sent. Telemetry is disabled by default in this build, but the plan is to enable it by default in future dev builds, and keep it disabled by default in future regular builds. Telemetry can be explicitly enabled or disabled with the enable_telemetry setting.

WOOT! Windows updates.

I've enabled Telemetry Jon. Does it log anything in the console when it's sending stuff? My reason for enabling it now is that I use I use it every day, so hopefully I'll give you useful insight.
jbrooksuk

Next

Return to General Discussion