Sublime Forum

Dev Build 3023

Dev Build 3023 is out now. There are two core changes in this build:

• New Auto Update system for Windows and OS X. Some users have been experiencing issues with Sparkle (the previous OS X auto update system) and ST3, that didn’t exist under ST2. I haven’t been able to reproduce any of the issues. Given an auto update system was needed for Windows anyway, Sublime Text now has its own auto updater. The new auto update system is able to do delta based updates, so a new build will now typically be <10% of the previous size. In terms of user experience, the new auto update is fairly similar to Sparkle, and isn’t a Chrome style silent auto update.

• Telemetry. Sublime Text can now report some anonymous usage information, which includes computer specifications, startup time, installed packages, and edited file types. File names and contents are never sent. Telemetry is disabled by default in this build, but the plan is to enable it by default in future dev builds, and keep it disabled by default in future regular builds. Telemetry can be explicitly enabled or disabled with the enable_telemetry setting.

0 Likes

Is ST calling home (telemetry)?

I’ve opened the update window to see how it looks and got this:

0 Likes

This will be because your .sublime-theme file doesn’t define any rules for the new controls:

{
    "class": "progress_bar_control",
    "layer0.tint": [32, 32, 32],
    "layer0.opacity": 1.0,
},

{
    "class": "progress_gauge_control",
    "layer0.tint": [43, 102, 201],
    "content_margin": [0, 6]
},

{
    "class": "dialog",
    "layer0.tint": [64, 64, 64],
    "layer0.opacity": 1.0
},

In hindsight, I should have hardcoded these as defaults, so the update window isn’t broken for people using a non-default theme.

0 Likes

Any Linux love for delta-based updates on non-debian systems?

1 Like

Fundamentally, there’s nothing stopping the auto updater being ported to Linux, the only platform specific part is the update installer, which moves things into the right place and is able to prompt for elevated privileges if required. My concern is that it would conflict with the regular package management system.

I guess this isn’t a concern for the .tar.bz2 based version, which could auto update itself without any issues. The exception here would be any third party packages (e.g., AUR), if these reference the .tar.bz2 version, then any auto updating behaviour wouldn’t be so nice.

Are there any examples of Linux programs that do their own auto updating? Google Chrome, for example, provides an apt repository, rather than use its own auto update system.

1 Like

[quote=“jps”]This will be because your .sublime-theme file doesn’t define any rules for the new controls:

{
    "class": "progress_bar_control",
    "layer0.tint": [32, 32, 32],
},

{
    "class": "progress_gauge_control",
    "layer0.tint": [43, 102, 201],
    "content_margin": [0, 6]
},

{
    "class": "dialog",
    "layer0.tint": [64, 64, 64],
    "layer0.opacity": 1.0
},

In hindsight, I should have hardcoded these as defaults, so the update window isn’t broken for people using a non-default theme.[/quote]

Same problem using the Soda Dark theme. Hard coding those defaults would be great.

0 Likes

Best auto-updating app on Linux you’ll see ever is probably Steam.

1 Like

This. I guess the package is just a boostrap program and it downloads / updates the actual full program in your home.

The double click behaviour in the explorer is still broken in 3023 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11647&start=0

0 Likes

An apt repository like Google chrome provides would be fantastic

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Dev Build 3023 is out now. There are two core changes in this build:

• New Auto Update system for Windows and OS X. Some users have been experiencing issues with Sparkle (the previous OS X auto update system) and ST3, that didn’t exist under ST2. I haven’t been able to reproduce any of the issues. Given an auto update system was needed for Windows anyway, Sublime Text now has its own auto updater. The new auto update system is able to do delta based updates, so a new build will now typically be <10% of the previous size. In terms of user experience, the new auto update is fairly similar to Sparkle, and isn’t a Chrome style silent auto update.

• Telemetry. Sublime Text can now report some anonymous usage information, which includes computer specifications, startup time, installed packages, and edited file types. File names and contents are never sent. Telemetry is disabled by default in this build, but the plan is to enable it by default in future dev builds, and keep it disabled by default in future regular builds. Telemetry can be explicitly enabled or disabled with the enable_telemetry setting.[/quote]

WOOT! Windows updates.

I’ve enabled Telemetry Jon. Does it log anything in the console when it’s sending stuff? My reason for enabling it now is that I use I use it every day, so hopefully I’ll give you useful insight.

0 Likes

I would have to agree. Even a ppa for Ubuntu users would be fine.

0 Likes

I never understood the new minimap setting, nor it had any effect for me. I’d love to have a fading minimap

0 Likes

Can you enable platform aware user settings, e.g. User/Preferences (Windows).sublime-settings? (This doesn’t work for me, if it already should work.)

I sync my settings between all platforms so this is really needed. My current solution is to do this in a plugin (github.com/schlamar/ST3User/blo … erences.py). However, there are a few drawbacks, for example the font size changes after the start and if I modify the Preferences the font size is reset.

0 Likes

[quote=“schlamar”]Can you enable platform aware user settings, e.g. User/Preferences (Windows).sublime-settings? (This doesn’t work for me, if it already should work.)

I sync my settings between all platforms so this is really needed. My current solution is to do this in a plugin (github.com/schlamar/ST3User/blo … erences.py). However, there are a few drawbacks, for example the font size changes after the start and if I modify the Preferences the font size is reset.[/quote]

I do that too. It should of course be possible to have, e.g. Preferences (Windows).sublime-settings. However, you can do that if you put the files in another folder than User. Admittedly, I never got that to work right in Sublime 2, but it does in Sublime 3. I use a folder I call UserPlatform for this.

0 Likes

I regularly see freezes when scrolling (on OS X, Retina). These seem to be related to the width of the window.
The right side of the editor looks deformed when I resize the window horizontally. This is visible when the minimap is on.
The overlay scroll bar is also deformed. Scrolling hangs when this happens.

0 Likes

But this doesn’t work for package specific settings. E.g. I want a PlainTasks (Windows).sublime-preferences. This does neither work if I put it in User/ nor in UserPlatform/.

0 Likes

@jps Do you know about this DirectWrite bug: github.com/aziz/PlainTasks/issues/62

0 Likes