Sublime Forum

Sublime 3 block cursor in vim mode?

In english please?

0 Likes

I want block cursor in vim mode in ST3

0 Likes

I’d also appreciate a Vim mode block cursor.

0 Likes

Knowing your state (Command/Insert) in modal editors is very important to avoid confusion and extreme beeping! :smile:

The request is already in userecho (the place for request IIUC): sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/2 … f-desired/

0 Likes

+1. There is a plugin for this in ST2 that, unfortunately, does not work properly in ST3.

0 Likes

+1. Block cursors are a lot harder to “lose”, as happens often even with the thick underline, and as mentioned above a good indicator of normal mode.

0 Likes

+1. Plugins don’t work properly and are slow. Please, add this as a normal cursor shape setting.

0 Likes

[quote=“mycroft”]

+1. There is a plugin for this in ST2 that, unfortunately, does not work properly in ST3.[/quote]

While a native block cursor would be best I did manage to get a plugin (forked from an ST2 plugin) working in ST3 with the built in vintage mode and the vintageous plugin for those that might be interested.

https://github.com/jlangston/BlockCursorEverywhere

0 Likes

The only things i can see “Wrong” with sublime text right now are its lack of a block cursor and its lack of virtual spaces. Both of which have been requested for quite a while and not implemented. I would love to see both of these soon :smile:

0 Likes

What are virtual spaces?

0 Likes

a better question would be “what is a schizophrenic cursor”. Answer… one which does not know which column it belongs in.

code code code code * 
   code code code        
      code code code
   code 
     code code code code

The cursor is at the * above. Cursor down repeatedly and the cursor will jump around all over the map as you move it. A virtual space is a means of allowing the cursor to be moved into a position beyond the end of a line. This allows you to visually track where a cursor is, where its moving to and where is moving THROUGH without you having to be constantly readjusting your point of focus. The cursor moves in a visually SANE manner not the absolute insanity that has somehow become the norm :confused:

if the above cursor were moved down one line with virtual spaces enabled it would move down one. Not down one and left 4 or 5. If you then started typing the editor would inject the correct number of spaces to start editing where the cursor is.

0 Likes

I think Vim and Emacs by default don’t do what you mean… did nay editor ever did what you want? :smile:

0 Likes

multi edit, codewright, ingellij idea has the option… I have used many editors that perform in this way

0 Likes

Also, the cursor movement is not “erratic” as you say - if you press END and then DOWN, it just goes to the end of each line. That’s predictable and the best option for most tasks (imagine creating macros with you preferred behavior…)

0 Likes

err nobody is asking for macros to do this, even a plugin would do this very badly. This needs the management to implement it :smile:

You also just turned ONE key press to move the cursor into TWO key presses to move the cursor just so you could more easily predict where it would move to… THUS proving my point that a schizophrenic scatterbrained jittery cursor is difficult to track visually :smile:

…as is a micro thin bar of 1 or 2 pixels which was the original point of this thread which i certainly didn’t intend to hijack :smile:

0 Likes

Please implement block cursor mode! This feature would be awesome to have :smile:

0 Likes

The hangup on a “block” cursor is unfortunate.

The more general issue (and neigh a show-stopper, with any file/language which uses a linter, and the resulting “box” around the linted topic) is that the cursor is a paltry one-pixel (?) thin. It does not matter if I’m using Vintage mode, or whatever (which is just convenient, after 30+ yrs of muscle memory, eh?!) ----

All that matters is I functionally CANNOT see where the cursor is in such cases, and resort to mousing int the area I want, and usually getting to the intended character position (recall - can’t see the cursor: forrest/trees problem).

So, while “block” is one solution, a real solution would be to have some configuration which allows one to make the cursor at least VISIBLE - an extra pixel or two; a selected color; heck, even a block would be acceptable.

Does this make more sense / help?

0 Likes

[quote=“rush”]

+1. There is a plugin for this in ST2 that, unfortunately, does not work properly in ST3.

While a native block cursor would be best I did manage to get a plugin (forked from an ST2 plugin) working in ST3 with the built in vintage mode and the vintageous plugin for those that might be interested.

https://github.com/jlangston/BlockCursorEverywhere[/quote]

Thanks much, rush - that works!

0 Likes

You can add

"wide_caret": true

to your Preferences.sublime-settings to make the cursor wider.

0 Likes

[quote=“mycroft”]

+1. There is a plugin for this in ST2 that, unfortunately, does not work properly in ST3.[/quote]

I made some changes to make SublimeBlockCursor work in ST3, but the project’s manager seems not accepting pull requests, anyway, you can clone my fork to use SublimeBlockCursor in ST3.

github.com/ShengYun/SublimeBlockCursor

0 Likes