Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

★ Official Bug Report and Issue Tracking

Re: The unofficial bug tracking, powered by us.

Postby tito on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Mmm? No idea, give us your username of github and we will add you. Maybe you don't have public membership, I don't know.
Give APIs, let the community build the rest!
https://github.com/titoBouzout
tito

Postby FichteFoll on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:11 pm

@iamntz: When creating an issue you can select one of the existing labels for these. I don't think you can edit them later on though, that's probably an admin task.

The only problematic thing about this is that these issues won't be closed if the issues aren't resolved and depending on the amount of issues it might become messy. On the other hand, we have labels to group things and we can close non-issues easily.

Expanding on the labels thing, I think we need more than just categories. Most issue trackers have a priority property which we could implement as labels but prefixed with an underscore or a tilde or similar to seperate these from the categories.
Furthermore, that's a damn lot of categories which probably all have their use cases but maybe we can reduce one or another in the future when they aren't used frequently (e.g. Macros).

Seeing a lot of Trac usage I like its idea of closing reasons, such as "invalid" for non-issues, "timeout" for no further information given, "duplicate" for, yeah, duplicates. We could use these as well with another prefix, "__" or "*" or "~" and more. We can agree on the exact prefix later when we consider this to be useful (which I certainly do).
What I'd also like to keep are "enhancement" and "bug" tags (with or without prefix) to separate these two entirely different things. "question" should not be needed since this issue tracker is not about asking questions.

A positive thing I just thought of: By creating and managing milestones we can assign closed issues to released builds which helps orginizing.

As a round up for things requiring a label (prefixes are suggestions):
  • Type ("+")
    enhancement/feature_request, bug
  • Priority ("~")
    High, Medium/Normal, Low -> e.g. "~high"
  • Close reason ("_")
    Fixed (does this appy for feature requests?), Invalid, Duplicate, wontfix (only from Jon probably) -> "_fixed"
  • Categories, no prefix
    As @tito suggested.

Edit: Sorry for using "we" so much but I somehow consider myself really wanting to contribute to this.

Edit2: Since "priority" seems to be somewhat pre-defined and might suggest being set by Jon himself I thought about "severity" which is used by mantis in conjunction with priority. A "severity" property allows pre-filtering issues without suggesting that things will be implemented more likely than others (although that should be the case for crashes etc.). Mantis uses tags like "crash", "block", "major", "minor", "tweak", "trivial", "feature". The latter can be discarded due to the type property.
FichteFoll

Postby jbrooksuk on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:31 pm

tito wrote:Mmm? No idea, give us your username of github and we will add you. Maybe you don't have public membership, I don't know.

jbrooksuk
jbrooksuk

Postby iamntz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Please also add iamntz. Thanks! :mrgreen:

@Jon, please make this thread sticky. Would be bad if will be lost in couple of days...
iamntz

Postby weslly on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Even though I absolutely love the idea, I don't see how can it live without Jon's collaboration. :cry:
weslly

Postby skuroda on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

I think this is a great idea, though like others have said, without JPS looking at it, it matters less. I had asked him about it earlier with no response. I think putting it in the Sublime Text org is a great idea. If you (or really anyone who can add members) sees this, please add skuroda. :)
skuroda

Postby FichteFoll on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:38 pm

I went ahead and created (and edited) labels according to what I suggsted. No categories yet.
Colors are:
  • yellow for bug, blue for enhancement and green for feature request
  • red shapes for severity
  • white and gray for close reason

Also it seems that github is sorting labels by the first alphanumeric char or something because the prefix seems to be ignored for ordering. Check it out: https://github.com/SublimeText/BugTracking/issues
FichteFoll

Postby robertcollier4 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 pm

This would be nice, userecho is crap. Best free solution is TRAC. See example of how it looks here:
http://trac.edgewall.org/report/1
robertcollier4

Postby FichteFoll on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:54 pm

I like Trac, it's pretty straight forward, displays (only) important things and is linear, supports severity, priority (which we as users ourselves should not change though), milestones and roadmaps (not that useful except for roadmaps which github also provides), the separate component column, wikis and source code view (which we obv. can't use). (Where I know Trac from, if anyone cares: http://devel.aegisub.org/)

The only problem about this is that a server is required for Trac to run and backups must be taken care of and the usual server issues. So, in case someone wants to provide a server and can guarantee the work up there is not lost when the server crashes and/or he disappears I am perfectly fine with that. For simplicity, github seems to be the easiest solution (there even is a SublimeText org) and it also provides most of the important features except for different severity/component columns besides labels.
FichteFoll

Postby iamntz on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:31 am

What is an issue tracker without any issue? There, problem solved! :D

Anyway, as I said it before....
I think any issue tracker in the world will be useless without Jon looking at it. And since i sometimes believe that no one reads userecho posts, i think that we tackle the wrong problem :(
iamntz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion