Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Text Editor Anywhere – Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite

Text Editor Anywhere – Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite

Postby robertcollier4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:45 pm

This is pretty useful for using Sublime in a variety of contexts, such as in your web browser.

http://www.listary.com/text-editor-anywhere
License: Freeware
Current Version: 2.01
System Requirements: Windows 7 / Vista / XP / 2000
Text Editor Anywhere allows you to edit text anywhere with your favorite text editor. It provides a means of taking advantages of some advanced features (like auto-completing, spell checking and syntax highlighting) that are only available in an external text editor. It may also save you from web browser crashes.

http://lifehacker.com/5826801/text-edit ... ext-editor
Some web sites or programs have okay text editors, but chances are you already have a favorite on your system. If you'd rather write emails with the power of Office behind you, or write blog posts with the HTML markup of Notepad++, Text Editor Anywhere will let you do so. Just add your favorite text editors to Text Editor Anywhere's database, and when you want to write inside one of them, just hit Text Editor Anywhere's hotkey and pick your editor from the list. It will automatically take any text you've already written and start a new file for you. When you close that editor, all your text will be transferred back to the original program seamlessly.
robertcollier4

Re: Text Editor Anywhere – Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite

Postby facelessuser on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 am

This is pretty cool. I tried it out on my work PC. I wish they had something like this for OSX for when I am home. Thanks for sharing this.
facelessuser

Postby JuDelCo on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Cool ! Works great with sublime.
The best use is Windows+A then edit the text, Ctrl+S to save and then ALT+TAB. I do this way because I have sublime always opened and I dont want to close it for this program to update the text I was editing

Or I could copy sublime to another path (duplicate) and run it and then I can close it before I change the text ^^
JuDelCo

Postby facelessuser on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:56 pm

adzenith wrote:http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/quickcursor

While neat, it doesn't seem to be a solid as Text Editor Anywhere for windows. I pulled it down and compiled it, and while it worked for ST2, it would not work for ST3. I tried to add support, and while it then launched ST3 (or brought to focus) it would just hang. It seems unfortunate that everything seems to be hard coded internally. And it also looks like it is no longer supported. I quickly lost interest when I realized I would have to spend time trying to hack in ST3 support (or any other support if I had some other editor I wanted to use for a specific file).

Thanks, for posting this though, if I get more ambitious I might revisit it.
facelessuser

Return to General Discussion