Sublime Forum

Ubuntu font family in Windows, anyone?

Hello,

I started using Ubuntu fonts in Windows, and I like them very much. I only have a problem with the “autocomplete” popup window, where all matching letters are bold, and those seems “smaller” than others, making the whole word quite unreadable

SCREENSHOT

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Sorry… found out this:

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-font- … bug/888680

where this seems a bug of the Ubuntu font under Windows… :cry:

0 Likes

ClearType font rendering is not so good, especially if you are using an high-dpi lcd screen… it has a bad forced hinting that deforms the original font.
I suggest you to try another font renderer like this:

code.google.com/p/mactype/
it uses the same renderer built in Linux and Mac, after you configure it as you like all your fonts (in GDI applications) will be rendered in a more correct and readable way, Ubuntu font also… I’m using it on Windows with a fullhd laptop display, the difference is noticeable (Ubuntu font is rendered perfectly in Sublime with it, but eg. also microsoft Consolas font is more beatiful…)

PS: do not enable DirectWrite in Sublime configuration if you want to use MacType or you’ll have the same font rendering of Internet Explorer, Visual Studio, etc.

0 Likes

azmod, thank you very much for your reply. I installed MacType, and actually the fonts look much better!
Anyhow, this is not solving my “issue”, since I guess that is not a rendering issue (i.e. not a ClearType issue), but more likely a “bug” in the font itself (as my link above).

Thanks again

0 Likes