Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

To stay or to leave of this community..

To stay or to leave of this community..

Postby tito on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 am

While I can understand the lack of responses to some questions and threads from the developers of sublime text, I can't understand a complete lack of responses to the coordinated efforts made by the community members. I can't fairly judge what's going on here, since I'm relatively a new member, I don't know jon, and the only one mail I wrote almost a year ago never had a reply. Maybe they are happy this way, because of some unknow past issue, or just because nothing, and that's fine to me, since there is no real obligation to do any of these things.

What I know, is that I joined the community of a commercial product, which was supposed to be somewhat open, and it is, because most community members, participating, from old yo new ones, try to contribute and be of help; but our inability to get a proper organization makes me think I'm wasting my time here, login to this forum, and keep an eye on overall issues.

I enjoy and like this editor, but I'm currently meditating if, to accept it is this way, or just leave..
Give APIs, let the community build the rest!
https://github.com/titoBouzout
tito

Re: To stay or to leave of this community..

Postby Fed03 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 am

tito wrote:While I can understand the lack of responses to some questions and threads from the developers of sublime text, I can't understand a complete lack of responses to the coordinated efforts made by the community members. I can't fairly judge what's going on here, since I'm relatively a new member, I don't know jon, and the only one mail I wrote almost a year ago never had a reply. Maybe they are happy this way, because of some unknow past issue, or just because nothing, and that's fine to me, since there is no real obligation to do any of these things.

What I know, is that I joined the community of a commercial product, which was supposed to be somewhat open, and it is, because most community members, participating, from old yo new ones, try to contribute and be of help; but our inability to get a proper organization makes me think I'm wasting my time here, login to this forum, and keep an eye on overall issues.

I enjoy and like this editor, but I'm currently meditating if, to accept it is this way, or just leave..

I'm not a st plugin developer but the lack of presence by the st core team leaves me speechless
Fed03

Postby sublimator on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:49 am

While I'm not employed by Sublime HQ, I put your `Unofficial bug track` thread as sticky for what it's worth

Jon has always been, shall we say, `focused`
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby iamntz on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am

I put your `Unofficial bug track` thread as sticky

Probably it's better to either link it from all subforums or move it to tech support ;)
iamntz

Postby sublimator on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm

>>> move it to tech support

He asked for a sticky. He finally got it. Now you making trouble?!

Gah :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt
sublimator

Postby adzenith on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:57 pm

What if we hosted a third-party forum site, where we could actually subscribe to threads (gasp!) and just help each other out and actually moderate things. Would that be a good idea? It's something I've been thinking about a bit.
adzenith

Postby riddler12 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:02 pm

adzenith wrote:What if we hosted a third-party forum site, where we could actually subscribe to threads (gasp!) and just help each other out and actually moderate things. Would that be a good idea? It's something I've been thinking about a bit.

I'm liking this idea. What third-party forum did you have in mind?
riddler12

Postby adzenith on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:12 pm

I've always wanted to try out http://www.discourse.org/.
adzenith

Postby quarnster on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Cue the cure ;)

Seriously though, the lack of communication is one of the reasons I occasionally work on my Open Source ST3 compatible editor. It's not ready to be used for anything real, but I believe it's not too far from it from a backend perspective in case anyone is interested in putting some more effort into it. I'd gladly add collaborators if someone is actively submitting pull requests. It's been a couple of weeks since I looked at it last, but IIRC it then supported Textmate colour schemes and syntax definitions, multiple cursors, and a large enough subset of the ST3 python api to successfully run Vintageous full unit testing suite.
quarnster

Postby adzenith on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Woah... trying to build now. I've never used Go, but I've been curious.
adzenith

Next

Return to General Discussion