Sublime Forum

To stay or to leave of this community

the developer is a quiet, private person, with awesome developer skills and no (time for?) social skills… so your going to go crying to mommy and getting a different editor?

dont let the door… … .

0 Likes

[quote]

I agree. However Go + Qt feels more than experimental, especially in regard of cross-platform support. Maybe you want to reconsider the choice of the toolkit and language for the frontend?[/quote]

I’m in no way committed to Qt, in fact the Qt front end is much more broken than the termbox one. Any frontend I work on I intend to keep as slim as possible as all the important bits should be handled by the backend itself and thus be front end agnostic. If you want to make a different front end or port all code to a different language you are welcome to maintain your own fork as the 2 clause bsd license allows. My language of choice for code I work on my spare time will remain Go until I stumble upon something I deem better for me.

0 Likes

Subilme is native (ported) in the 3 main OSes, right? A layer that is platform specific and John doesn’t reuse from one OS to the other.

Though its more work, for the end-user it seems much better a cross-platform application based in Qt.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Do other operations work fine like the vintage movement commands hjkl or is it just broken when inserting a character?

Only thing that rings a bell is Go issue 5287 which impacts termbox’s key input handling (so if it’s that bug, you should see a hang eventually for other commands). My local Go’s been patched with the osx fix posted in that bug, but there’s no fix for other os’s IIRC. If it is indeed that bug besides pinging the bug for a status update, maybe there’s some compilation or runtime option to make python not call sigaltstack as a short term work around?

0 Likes

I can press j like five times before it hangs. Maybe I just need to patch my go.

0 Likes

(Just replying in order to make this topic appear in my “View your posts” list that I somewhat regularly check due to the lack of (email) notifications.)

0 Likes

re item2: I did not started this thread to get a sticky of “Unofficial bug tracking” thread, I started it for the reasons explained in item0, but the stick is appreciated thanks.

The thread lost the intended focus, and moved to something else, If there were moderators of this forum, I guess all that non-relevant conversation should have be moved to another thread. ~

0 Likes

There are, castle_made_of_sands and wbond for sure.

0 Likes

I only delete spam messages. :smile:

0 Likes

That would be great!
I thought I was just really stupid because I couldn’t find the subscribe button.

If an independent support forum is set up, maybe someone could explain to me how to enable multilingual spell checking. (Swedish/English)
I followed the instructions I found and the Swedish spell check can’t find a suggestion for any words.

0 Likes

[quote=“mark4”]the developer is a quiet, private person, with awesome developer skills and no (time for?) social skills… so your going to go crying to mommy and getting a different editor?

dont let the door… … .[/quote]

That’s one way of looking at it, especially coming from the F/OSS world where anyone is free to do whatever they want (essentially, let’s not start arguing about that) with the code, and support other users to the best of their abilities if they wish. The difference here is that (hopefully) many of us paid good money for this product, and expect something more in return besides a lack of popups when trying to save, and the privilege of alpha/beta-testing the new version. I am perfectly happy to support Jon’s coding habit, as I feel he should be rewarded for creating such a fantastic editor. However, it’d be nice to have some semblance of a professional support structure in place, even if it’s just one person monitoring the forums here, and maybe contributing to the various StackExchange sites, responding on userecho, updating the docs, etc.

I’m not ready to leave ST, as I’ve invested so much in it, and there aren’t any really viable alternatives yet (although apparently that’s starting to change, judging by the side-thread here). I can completely understand Jon’s wanting to focus on coding instead of other, perhaps less-interesting things, but in order to run a successful business it needs to be done.

0 Likes

Jon replied to an email of mine the other day, in regards to this topic.

He’s busy, he’s doing amazing things. Give him time :smile:

0 Likes

I created a Moot.it forum if anyone fancies trying it.

0 Likes

Good. Because this is exactly what we need: one more discussion board.
User echo, this forum and github issue tracker are all too mainstream? :mrgreen:

0 Likes

[quote=“iamntz”]

Good. Because this is exactly what we need: one more discussion board.
User echo, this forum and github issue tracker are all too mainstream? :mrgreen:[/quote]

Heh. I created it ages ago, just never linked it anywhere :smile:

0 Likes

Are there still someone to think that userecho site is useful ?

2599 ideas and 1096 bugs …
Lot of spam.
And no activity since 2 years from Jon.

At least it’s 3695 less topics in this forum :smile:

0 Likes

So these months of silence and increased number of bugs lately has unfortunately left me with no choice but stop recommending ST to friends and co-workers :frowning:

0 Likes

Be a little more patient Arjan. Jon is preparing a new build :smile:

0 Likes

Maybe. Maybe not. The total-silence-for-months approach is idiotic.

0 Likes