Sublime Forum

To stay or to leave of this community

So stop complaining :smile:

0 Likes

The essence of Arjan’s request certainly seems reasonable to me.

Can’t really argue with bug fixes before new features.

0 Likes

[quote=“castles_made_of_sand”]The essence of Arjan’s request certainly seems reasonable to me.

Can’t really argue with bug fixes before new features.[/quote]

In-fucking-deed

0 Likes

Maybe Jon could do something similar to what MacRabbit (developers of the Espresso app) do. They are basically a team of two people, one is the developer (which would be Jon in the case of Sublime) and another is in charge of support, answering questions in the forum or via email as well as their Twitter account. He replies to the questions of the users be them on feature requests, bugs, or just general help with using the program. This allows MacRabbit to have the developer focused on building and improving the app without neglecting user support and interaction with the community.

0 Likes

[quote=“Arjan”]

the proof is in the pudding, since the last two releases has clearly been the worst in the ST3 lineup (at least on Win64)[/quote]

Do you have any evidence for that? I’ve been using the last builds, and have not had any serious issues, unlike with some previous ST3 Beta builds.

I agree that there are many small bugs and inconveniences that should be fixed before big new features are introduced.

0 Likes

[quote=“Narretz”]

the proof is in the pudding, since the last two releases has clearly been the worst in the ST3 lineup (at least on Win64)

Do you have any evidence for that? I’ve been using the last builds, and have not had any serious issues, unlike with some previous ST3 Beta builds.

I agree that there are many small bugs and inconveniences that should be fixed before big new features are introduced.[/quote]

Yes, I have proof each time my machine grinds to a halt due to ST3 on large projects. This occurs on Win64 only.

0 Likes

(Leaving this to read it later…)

And it’s a week since we were said about new upcoming build… I love Sublime Text 3, bought it and do hope to get updates and any reaction from the developer at least sometimes.

In faith we believe.

0 Likes

My ST3 installation on OSX just said there is an update available, but error downloading manifest. OOOOH!

0 Likes

I got the same on windows 64 portable. Hopefully this is a sign that new things are coming…

0 Likes

According to sublimetext.com/3dev, the changes are:

• Fixed incorrect title bar in new sessions
  • Auto complete now works as expected in macros
  • Vintage: A block caret is now used
  • Linux: Fixed menu hiding not restoring correctly at startup
  • Linux: Fixed incorrect underscore display in some menus
0 Likes

I’m unable to update in ST, so I’m going to wait.

0 Likes

Ah! I wasn’t using 3dev, only 3.

0 Likes

I see. You said this over a week ago. I guess “preparing a new build” includes infinite time spans, but this is ridiculous.

The last two builds are TOTALLY useless on win64 and large projects. Get your act together, jon…

0 Likes

[quote=“Arjan”]

I see. You said this over a week ago. I guess “preparing a new build” includes infinite time spans, but this is ridiculous.

The last two builds are TOTALLY useless on win64 and large projects. Get your act together, jon…[/quote]

Jon needs to be more responsive indeed, but you should also note that not everybody uses win64 or have problems with large projects (and these aren’t the only issues Sublime have either). It would be great if we had an official issue tracker instead of having to report bugs on a forum and hope that someone from Sublime HQ will see and fix it someday.

0 Likes

Arjan, have you contacted Jon directly?

0 Likes

Arjan, if you are having speed related issues, please create a new post, specifying exactly what is slow, which OS version, which Sublime Text build, how large your project is, if indexing is currently occurring (i.e., multiple sublime_text.exe processes, and a percent complete indicator in the status bar), and if the files are on a local or remote file system.

FWIW I haven’t seen any Windows related speed issues, irrespective of project size.

0 Likes

Arjan, I am on Win64 and also work with projects with 1000’s of files. I am experiencing none of the speed issues you allude to.

Also your complete lack of respect for the software developer is really amazing. Where is your patience? :open_mouth:

0 Likes

OK, Arjan, what the heck are you working on that is 17K files? The 2.6 linux kernel has that many files, and no single developer can keep track of that much stuff. Break your projects down into smaller subprojects, man. The problem isn’t your tool, its your organization. Do you seriously expect us to believe that you need to access 17k files every day? It really just sounds like you’re going out of your way to be obtuse.

0 Likes

I really, really, really don’t care what you believe or not. It’s a huge project partly because the majority of the files are generated, some of which need hand-editing.

The point is that it works on ST2 on the same OS instance, so I figured it was important to submit the problem report (as done in separate post)

0 Likes

It’s one thing to report a problem and it’s another thing to report a problem by saying „omg, this product suck, nobody helps me”.
If disabling the indexing will somehow fix the problem, you could just disable the indexing and you are all set.
You clearly don’t make the difference between a beta vs a stable release.

0 Likes