Sublime Forum

To stay or to leave of this community

I’m unable to update in ST, so I’m going to wait.

0 Likes

Ah! I wasn’t using 3dev, only 3.

0 Likes

I see. You said this over a week ago. I guess “preparing a new build” includes infinite time spans, but this is ridiculous.

The last two builds are TOTALLY useless on win64 and large projects. Get your act together, jon…

0 Likes

[quote=“Arjan”]

I see. You said this over a week ago. I guess “preparing a new build” includes infinite time spans, but this is ridiculous.

The last two builds are TOTALLY useless on win64 and large projects. Get your act together, jon…[/quote]

Jon needs to be more responsive indeed, but you should also note that not everybody uses win64 or have problems with large projects (and these aren’t the only issues Sublime have either). It would be great if we had an official issue tracker instead of having to report bugs on a forum and hope that someone from Sublime HQ will see and fix it someday.

0 Likes

Arjan, have you contacted Jon directly?

0 Likes

Arjan, if you are having speed related issues, please create a new post, specifying exactly what is slow, which OS version, which Sublime Text build, how large your project is, if indexing is currently occurring (i.e., multiple sublime_text.exe processes, and a percent complete indicator in the status bar), and if the files are on a local or remote file system.

FWIW I haven’t seen any Windows related speed issues, irrespective of project size.

0 Likes

Arjan, I am on Win64 and also work with projects with 1000’s of files. I am experiencing none of the speed issues you allude to.

Also your complete lack of respect for the software developer is really amazing. Where is your patience? :open_mouth:

0 Likes

OK, Arjan, what the heck are you working on that is 17K files? The 2.6 linux kernel has that many files, and no single developer can keep track of that much stuff. Break your projects down into smaller subprojects, man. The problem isn’t your tool, its your organization. Do you seriously expect us to believe that you need to access 17k files every day? It really just sounds like you’re going out of your way to be obtuse.

0 Likes

I really, really, really don’t care what you believe or not. It’s a huge project partly because the majority of the files are generated, some of which need hand-editing.

The point is that it works on ST2 on the same OS instance, so I figured it was important to submit the problem report (as done in separate post)

0 Likes

It’s one thing to report a problem and it’s another thing to report a problem by saying „omg, this product suck, nobody helps me”.
If disabling the indexing will somehow fix the problem, you could just disable the indexing and you are all set.
You clearly don’t make the difference between a beta vs a stable release.

0 Likes

It’s easy to pick on Arjan here, but the main reason that he is not get a satisfying answer is because the bug report was not presented in the right way. A bug report that says “performance sucks with lots of files” is almost impossible to answer. Being able to effectively ask questions is an important skill, especially when working in the computing field. Google “the right way to report a bug” and you’ll find lots of resources explaining how to effectively report a bug. The most relevant point in this context is that you need to provide a way for the developer to reproduce the problem. Unfortunately Arjan is the only one who is seeing this issue so the onus is on him to provide a way to reproduce the problem so it can be fixed.

0 Likes

What jbjornson says…

Told you!, I’m pretty sure ( :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: ) the problem Arjan has is because of the “generated files”, I mentioned this possibility in the other thread, and I got ignored. This just had happened to me. IF you have opened a project with files that are being changed by another process the index of your project will run constantly, keeping CPU high.

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]What jbjornson says…

Told you!, I’m pretty sure ( :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: ) the problem Arjan has is because of the “generated files”, I mentioned this possibility in the other thread, and I got ignored. This just had happened to me. IF you have opened a project with files that are being changed by another process the index of your project will run constantly, keeping CPU high.[/quote]

Well, tito, the thing is that the generator isn’t running when i open ST3…

0 Likes

So, it was mcaffe “touching” the files,

which to me is exactly the same thing. :smiley:

Glad you solved the problem, welcome to the “frustration” team. Now, hope you can accept it is this way, who knows what’s going on, try to cooperate in productive and civil ways, hoping for the best. :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]So, it was mcaffe “touching” the files,

which to me is exactly the same thing. :smiley:

Glad you solved the problem, welcome to the “frustration” team. Now, hope you can accept it is this way, who knows what’s going on, try to cooperate in productive and civil ways, hoping for the best. :smile:[/quote]

No can do.

0 Likes

My mum once told me; “If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

My mum once told me; “If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”[/quote]

Yeah, she probably didn’t get far in life.

0 Likes

How old are you? 12?

She knows when to speak up, and when she does, she doesn’t kick off at the wrong people.

0 Likes

Holy cow. Your mom didn’t tell you anything about feeding trolls?

0 Likes

Does Jon work on Sublime Text full time, or is it a weeknight/weekend/vacation project? Really interested in the answer.

0 Likes