Sublime Forum

Panel Color Settings

Hoping you can save me a few hours of sifting. I’m new to Sublime. I need an editor with fine-grained control of text and background colors. (An option for “Apply Windows theme” would be great too.) So I’m in search of these settings, if they exist, for the side bar, console, etc., which don’t appear to take on the editor’s theme, nor my Windows theme. Also, could you please point me toward documentation on creating my own .sublime-theme (I’ve seen this file type mentioned, but haven’t found the docs). Thank you.

PS: I posted this in Technical Support five days ago but haven’t heard anything, so I thought I’d try here. Determining whether or not this is possible will determine if I use sublime or another editor, and I need to make a decision soon in order to start some major project work. If I can’t figure this out in the next couple of days I’ll have to switch to another editor because I really need to get productive soon with something other than Notepad.

0 Likes

Not sure Sublime Text is the editor for you. It is the best editor out there, but not for somebody that doesn’t have the patience and/or time to spend a few moments searching the forums for answers. There is a lot of power under the covers… but preferences, scripting, and configuring the editor is not immediately intuitive. It will take some time… and research.

0 Likes

try to open default .sublime-theme file in Sublime Text (or Soda theme) and scroll and read it, (or better, if you are searching for particular key use the ctrl+F search to save time), some months ago after an hour I completely managed to change every little parts of the editor as I like, the key values are quite intuitive and there are comments.

0 Likes

Thanks for the leads. I’ve almost got this worked out. Close to becoming a huge fan.
google search: how to create sublime text theme
This turned up a good article that referenced Soda, which led me to github to download the theme, and also explained the difference between a theme (app skin, *.sublime-theme) and a scheme (text editor colors, *.tmTheme). Soda did the trick with the side bar and console. Soda has some basic settings in its .sublime-theme that even allowed me to change the font colors in the side bar. The readme also pointed me to a couple of .thTheme files that worked great as a basis for creating a custom scheme.

Next to dig up is how to increase the font size for tree items in the side bar and for the status bar label. Probably need to delve into the api to determine what control and property name handles this. If anyone has thoughts or a quick answer like “tree_row.font_size”, I’d appreciate it.

0 Likes