Sublime Forum

Sublime Text X

If you’re keen on Sublime Text for Linux or OS X, then I expect this will be of interest: sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-text-x).

It’s early days yet, and I don’t expect anyone to actually be using it yet, but I’m still keen for any feedback.

0 Likes

I installed Sublime Text X on Win XP SP3 and it can’t load due to the following:

The procedure entry point inet_pton could not be located in the dynamic link library WS2_32.dll

Joshua

0 Likes

jhawk28: thanks for letting me know, it turns out that’s only available in vista and later: I’ll fix it shortly.

0 Likes

Awesome to hear! Right when I was finally thinking of making the swap to Linux I found Sublime and couldn’t bare without it.

Any reason there are only thumbs of the preview images? Can’t really see anything.

Also a tad unfortunate about the UI redesign. I personally felt Sublime handled it perfect. It gives you exactly what you need. Nothing more. Nothing less. I feel the vertical tabs take up a lot of space and you loose a lot of real estate. Will it be an option?

Not sure if you ever read it, but I posted a suggestion about implementing a virtual window manager IN Sublime. I have yet to see anything like it in any editor and I think it’d be brilliant. Have each virtual window be nearly it’s own Sublime instance. Would save tabs and windows if they’re split and such. Possibly things like which project is open as well so you could have a different project open in each virtual window. Have ctrl+ to swap between them. Working on a big project you could have the back-end in one, front-end in another, etc.

0 Likes

Very cool news Jon. Looking to check it out but the 64 bit installer link doesn’t seem to work.

0 Likes

n00ge: link is fixed now, sorry about that

0 Likes

First impressions…

I’m not sure I like the vertical tabs as opposed to the horizontal ones. I rarely ever have more than a few files open at a time so I feel like that’s a lot of wasted space. I’m trying not to jump to conclusions so I’ll feel it out for a bit. However, the UI for it feels really smooth. Maybe if it were just a small section of the side that would be better?

Where’s the MiniMap? I think that’s a pretty core feature for Sublime. I have grown to love it and wish it were in all apps. Is that on it’s way? Where exactly would it fit in with the vertical tab bar on the side?

I love the fact that it’s cross-platform. I think that will go a long way with community involvement. Should existing plugins work now, in the future, or never (haven’t tried yet)?

0 Likes

re: vertical tabs, there’s still more fleshing out to do on the sidebar, I think it’ll justify itself more in the future. I’m not opposed to having on option for normal tabs as well. The sidebar will eventually be resizeable, of course.

The minimap is there, it’s just sitting on the right hand side. Still more work to do on it: the view port isn’t being displayed, and it doesn’t respond to mouse input.

Plugins aren’t enabled yet, no. They will be in the future, but there may be some changes to the API.

0 Likes

Also, just to be clear, the UI is in a fairly fluid state at the moment, and nothing is set in stone. There’s more I’m planning to do with the side bar, but if it doesn’t work out, then it’ll go.

0 Likes

I was just working with some test new files so I didn’t have enough content to see the mini-map. Kind of like it better on the right. Cool.

0 Likes

jhawk28: The 32 bit windows version has been updated, it’s running on XP now. Direct download link is sublimetext.com/Sublime%20Te … 0Setup.exe

0 Likes

Eh, no opinions on the virtual window idea? Only reason I ask as it seems to be a pretty good time to bring it up with the core and UI redesigns and how X aims to impact the workflow. Is it just not technically feasible or do people just not like the idea? I’m cool with either, just interested in hearing something.

0 Likes

I’m planning something along these lines for the side bar, I’ll be posting some details in another blog post.

0 Likes

The main reason there isn’t a session management UI exposed in Sublime Text is that the semantics get a bit strange with multiple windows, and it’s hard work to build any sort of rich UI with the toolkit Sublime Text is built upon - this kind of thing will be simpler to do in Sublime Text X.

Session management is something that’s been requested fairly frequently, and it’s something I intend to address properly in Sublime Text X.

0 Likes

Ah sweet. That’s great to hear.

0 Likes

Looking at it on a Mac, I like the overall look of it.

However, things are very sluggish if have 2 or more buffers open. The problem does not show up when just 1 buffer is open though.

0 Likes

So far so good! I like the new interface, and it feels slicker and more modern. Particularly, I think the animations in the sidebar give a nice impression, and the rest of the UI feels more responsive. That may just be the lack of loaded plugins. It also suits Windows 7 a little better, and feels a little more like a ‘native’ Win7 app; the groups feel like they’ll match the Windows Explorer left-hand panel’s idiom of Favourites / Libraries / Homegroup / Computer.

I’m guessing that the left hand bar will be full of other buffers and suchlike? I’d quite like to see things like the console output displayed as full-size buffers, rather than small windows which don’t get treated as ‘proper’ panels. The same way emacs dumps everything into new buffers.

0 Likes

Performance, say, when scrolling, should be a function of the number of pixels being redrawn, and the buffer that’s being drawn. It shouldn’t be related to the number of buffers. Is the slow down you’re seeing definitely from having two buffers open, or is it perhaps just that the second one is clearly slower, even when it’s the only one open?

Yep, that’s the plan!

It’ll certainly be an option via theming, yes. Sublime Text X already has much better support for being themed than Sublime Text does - the .sublime-theme files now use an entirely different format.

0 Likes

I know you said it wasn’t ready for use, but I’m playing with it for simple editing and right now ctrl+backspace/ctrl+delete doesn’t delete the previous word, but adds a box character to the buffer. Similarly, ctrl+del should delete next word. If you could see your way to fixing that in the next beta, I’d be more likely to use it and provide feedback. As I say, though, I know this isn’t a beta program but more of a trailer. :wink:

0 Likes

I installed is on Win XP3. The first and indeed easy task was to change the background colour of the sidebar.

I cannot imagine to welcome a sidebar. I like S1 because it has no sidebar and maximum screen estate for editing!
There are applications which use sidebars that vanish if not needed. But they need at least a bar at the side. Sometimes the animations to display are slow. Bah.

I don’t know what’s wrong with the quickpanel. For me i’ts the better solution.

By the way: where is the statusbar?

0 Likes