Sublime Forum

Sublime Text X

Ah sweet. That’s great to hear.

0 Likes

Looking at it on a Mac, I like the overall look of it.

However, things are very sluggish if have 2 or more buffers open. The problem does not show up when just 1 buffer is open though.

0 Likes

So far so good! I like the new interface, and it feels slicker and more modern. Particularly, I think the animations in the sidebar give a nice impression, and the rest of the UI feels more responsive. That may just be the lack of loaded plugins. It also suits Windows 7 a little better, and feels a little more like a ‘native’ Win7 app; the groups feel like they’ll match the Windows Explorer left-hand panel’s idiom of Favourites / Libraries / Homegroup / Computer.

I’m guessing that the left hand bar will be full of other buffers and suchlike? I’d quite like to see things like the console output displayed as full-size buffers, rather than small windows which don’t get treated as ‘proper’ panels. The same way emacs dumps everything into new buffers.

0 Likes

Performance, say, when scrolling, should be a function of the number of pixels being redrawn, and the buffer that’s being drawn. It shouldn’t be related to the number of buffers. Is the slow down you’re seeing definitely from having two buffers open, or is it perhaps just that the second one is clearly slower, even when it’s the only one open?

Yep, that’s the plan!

It’ll certainly be an option via theming, yes. Sublime Text X already has much better support for being themed than Sublime Text does - the .sublime-theme files now use an entirely different format.

0 Likes

I know you said it wasn’t ready for use, but I’m playing with it for simple editing and right now ctrl+backspace/ctrl+delete doesn’t delete the previous word, but adds a box character to the buffer. Similarly, ctrl+del should delete next word. If you could see your way to fixing that in the next beta, I’d be more likely to use it and provide feedback. As I say, though, I know this isn’t a beta program but more of a trailer. :wink:

0 Likes

I installed is on Win XP3. The first and indeed easy task was to change the background colour of the sidebar.

I cannot imagine to welcome a sidebar. I like S1 because it has no sidebar and maximum screen estate for editing!
There are applications which use sidebars that vanish if not needed. But they need at least a bar at the side. Sometimes the animations to display are slow. Bah.

I don’t know what’s wrong with the quickpanel. For me i’ts the better solution.

By the way: where is the statusbar?

0 Likes

tgkeul: The side bar will certainly be hideable (and will take up zero pixels when hidden), and the quick panel won’t be going anywhere.

Status bar will be coming back too.

Steve: I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Yay! Good stuff!

OK, feedback:

• The vertical buffer: not very useful to me as I don’t really switch between files that way, anyway. Overwhelmingly, I’ll open a file, make my changes, save it and then use the project pane to open another file. I rarely need to keep track of buffers in that manner in Sublime. However, I’m not suggesting you remove it. It may turn out to be incredibly useful, it’s just hard to tell right now with so many components still missing.

• Although Sublime has an interface that’s very unique to itself, it might be good to pay attention platform HCI guidelines for things like keyboard shortcuts and the like. ⌘F usually shows a search box on editors on Mac, for example. Full screen is usually ⌥⌘F or ⇧⌘F or so on.

Again, thanks for making Sublime cross platform! It’s really great!

0 Likes

Henrik: Thanks for the feedback. I agree completely about fitting the HCI guidelines where possible, and it’s something I’ve already put a lot of work into for Sublime Text X (I’ll save the details for a blog post). Thanks for the heads up re: full screen, I’ll fix it for the next release. There are other omissions I’m aware of (e.g., dragging a file onto the dock won’t open it, “Hide Sublime Text X” isn’t bound to ⌘H), but I’m sure there are plenty of others I don’t know about.

0 Likes

jps, really great to hear that you are taking HCI guidelines into account! (But I’m an interaction designer - I may be a bit biased as to their importance ^_^)

I’m not sure whether this is the right place for a wishlist, but it’d be great to be able to match path names as well as file names in the project pane. I work a lot in Symfony (PHP framework), where a lot of files have the same name. Under every module (which is a simple directory), there is a file called action.class.php (containing all the actions that the module can perform). So I find myself in a situation where I’d like to be able to match a bit of a directory name and a bit of the file. I’d like to be able to type “google act” to filter out all paths where both “google” and “act” are not present.

However, maybe I should just look into building a Symfony aware plugin once Sublime X is released.

0 Likes

I believe what you’re asking for is already available. Simply prefix the term with a backslash or forwardslash to filter directories. For example, “/google act”, would match all files in a directory starting with “google” where the file name contains “act”. You can negate terms by prefixing them with a minus. For example, “-/google act” would match all files that contain “act” and is NOT in a directory beginning with “google”.

I’m not sure if partial directory matches are possible however, if that’s what you were asking for.

0 Likes

Oh, excellent! I couldn’t find it in the (community) documentation.

That would certainly be helpful. “aSlideshowSlot act” is quite a bit to type when “aS act” probably would be enough.

0 Likes

Er by partial matches I mean you can’t match a directory named “google” by typing “/oogle”. At least as far as I know. You can match it with “/go” however. So “/aS” would work in the example you mentioned.

0 Likes

Right! Nevermind then. Still, it would be useful for eliminating the need to type common prefixes (such as sf in Symfony world).

0 Likes

Well, i’m happy to see it.
But like other, i want the dark theme (i hope this will be the default theme, sublime should keep its own identity)
And for horizontal tabs also, because sublime should keep its own identity

Thanks for your great job :smile:

0 Likes

It’d be great with a “check for updates” type of functionality to keep current with the alpha releases. Barring that, a simpe RSS feed would do :smile:

[quote=“oxman”]Well, i’m happy to see it.
But like other, i want the dark theme (i hope this will be the default theme, sublime should keep its own identity)
And for horizontal tabs also, because sublime should keep its own identity

Thanks for your great job :smile:[/quote]

While I agree that identity is important, I think most of Sublime’s identity lies deeper than dark vs. light or horizontal vs. vertical elements. As far those choices go, just go with the most usable option.

0 Likes

Henrik, Jon has been posting the updates via Twitter at twitter.com/sublimehq. You can follow him there.

If you prefer an RSS feed, you can get a feed of the tweets here:
twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/138034438.rss

0 Likes

[quote=“n00ge”]Henrik, Jon has been posting the updates via Twitter at twitter.com/sublimehq. You can follow him there.

If you prefer an RSS feed, you can get a feed of the tweets here:
twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/138034438.rss[/quote]

Brilliant!

I prefer dark themes with clear, vibrant colors as well. I currently use the “Vibrant Ink” theme, ported to Espresso: github.com/jackw/vibrant-ink-espresso-theme :smile:
http://ui.thoughtbot.com/assets/2009-3-30-mvim_ruby_vibrant_ink.png

0 Likes

Hello,

I tried Sublime X in both Linux (Linux Mint 32bit) and MacOSX 10.6
While on the mac everything seems to working ok (apart from some UI glitches (like missing the horizontal scrollbar) it works without problems.
On linux though I have the following issues:
a. I cannot delete neither forward nor backward.
b. I cannot type greek accented characters (i.e. vowels with “tonos”) while I can type all the other greek characters normally.
Unfortunately, especially because of (a) I cannot test the editor further.

As for (b) if you are using Qt (the only reason I am suspecting this is because of the arrow style and the vertical tab bar style in general) I had this problem in the past, but it can be fixed (I had this exact problem with Pacu editor on linux and macosx)

Excellent decision to make the editor cross-platform. I have been using Sublime Text through wine ever since I switched.

Kind regards,

Nick Tzanos

0 Likes

I potentially like the left-sidebar for three reasons:

1. Most displays today are widescreen, so vertical real-estate is a precious.
  2. I often have more than 5 files open, and the current tab implementation gets difficult to keep track of files. (Tabs get hidden) Although I like tabs for only 2-4 files open.
  3. New features for the sidebar that Jon has planned… I’m interested
0 Likes