Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime Text X

Re: Sublime Text X

Postby jps on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:39 pm

jhawk28: The 32 bit windows version has been updated, it's running on XP now. Direct download link is http://www.sublimetext.com/Sublime%20Te ... 0Setup.exe
jps
Site Admin

Postby Anomareh on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Eh, no opinions on the virtual window idea? Only reason I ask as it seems to be a pretty good time to bring it up with the core and UI redesigns and how X aims to impact the workflow. Is it just not technically feasible or do people just not like the idea? I'm cool with either, just interested in hearing something.
Anomareh

Postby jps on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Anomareh wrote:Not sure if you ever read it, but I posted a suggestion about implementing a virtual window manager IN Sublime.

I'm planning something along these lines for the side bar, I'll be posting some details in another blog post.
jps
Site Admin

Postby jps on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Anomareh wrote:Eh, no opinions on the virtual window idea? Only reason I ask as it seems to be a pretty good time to bring it up with the core and UI redesigns and how X aims to impact the workflow. Is it just not technically feasible or do people just not like the idea? I'm cool with either, just interested in hearing something.

The main reason there isn't a session management UI exposed in Sublime Text is that the semantics get a bit strange with multiple windows, and it's hard work to build any sort of rich UI with the toolkit Sublime Text is built upon - this kind of thing will be simpler to do in Sublime Text X.

Session management is something that's been requested fairly frequently, and it's something I intend to address properly in Sublime Text X.
jps
Site Admin

Postby Anomareh on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Ah sweet. That's great to hear.
Anomareh

Postby samkerr on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Looking at it on a Mac, I like the overall look of it.

However, things are very sluggish if have 2 or more buffers open. The problem does not show up when just 1 buffer is open though.
samkerr

Postby SteveCooperOrg on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:49 pm

So far so good! I like the new interface, and it feels slicker and more modern. Particularly, I think the animations in the sidebar give a nice impression, and the rest of the UI feels more responsive. That may just be the lack of loaded plugins. It also suits Windows 7 a little better, and feels a little more like a 'native' Win7 app; the groups feel like they'll match the Windows Explorer left-hand panel's idiom of Favourites / Libraries / Homegroup / Computer.

I'm guessing that the left hand bar will be full of other buffers and suchlike? I'd quite like to see things like the console output displayed as full-size buffers, rather than small windows which don't get treated as 'proper' panels. The same way emacs dumps everything into new buffers.
Maybe what you're looking for is at the http://www.sublimetextwiki.com
SteveCooperOrg

Postby jps on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:55 am

samkerr wrote:However, things are very sluggish if have 2 or more buffers open. The problem does not show up when just 1 buffer is open though.

Performance, say, when scrolling, should be a function of the number of pixels being redrawn, and the buffer that's being drawn. It shouldn't be related to the number of buffers. Is the slow down you're seeing definitely from having two buffers open, or is it perhaps just that the second one is clearly slower, even when it's the only one open?

SteveCooperOrg wrote:I'm guessing that the left hand bar will be full of other buffers and suchlike? I'd quite like to see things like the console output displayed as full-size buffers, rather than small windows which don't get treated as 'proper' panels. The same way emacs dumps everything into new buffers.

Yep, that's the plan!

sublimator wrote:I *really* like the dark look of S1 and I would hope that's an option somehow (theming?) as I'm not keen on the contrast of the bright sidebar.

It'll certainly be an option via theming, yes. Sublime Text X already has much better support for being themed than Sublime Text does - the .sublime-theme files now use an entirely different format.
jps
Site Admin

Postby SteveCooperOrg on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:10 pm

I know you said it wasn't ready for use, but I'm playing with it for simple editing and right now ctrl+backspace/ctrl+delete doesn't delete the previous word, but adds a box character to the buffer. Similarly, ctrl+del should delete next word. If you could see your way to fixing that in the next beta, I'd be more likely to use it and provide feedback. As I say, though, I know this isn't a beta program but more of a trailer. ;)
Maybe what you're looking for is at the http://www.sublimetextwiki.com
SteveCooperOrg

Postby tgkeul on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:53 pm

I installed is on Win XP3. The first and indeed easy task was to change the background colour of the sidebar.

I cannot imagine to welcome a sidebar. I like S1 because it has no sidebar and maximum screen estate for editing!
There are applications which use sidebars that vanish if not needed. But they need at least a bar at the side. Sometimes the animations to display are slow. Bah.

I don't know what's wrong with the quickpanel. For me i'ts the better solution.

By the way: where is the statusbar?
tgkeul

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion