Sublime Forum

ST3: How to switch window panes?

A simple one this: When the ST main window is split into more than one pane (or column as it seems to be referred to in the docs) using Alt-Shift-2 for example what is the keyboard shortcut to toggle between panes?

0 Likes

The nomenclature of the menus is probably throwing you off. It’s under “Focus Group” in the View menu. On my Mac:

cmd-k, cmd-left/cmd-right moves the focus left or right
ctrl-1 moves to pane 1
ctrl-2 moves to pane 2

2 Likes

If you like more advanced pane navigation etc. then I also recommend checking out github.com/SublimeText/Origami/

0 Likes

Yup, that threw me. Thanks for the answer. I noticed Origami but also in their docs they don’t mention how to switch panes using the keyboard! Nevertheless it looks worth investigating.

0 Likes

Sure they do!

[quote]First press super+k, then press the arrow keys with modifiers:

no modifiers: travel to an adjacent pane[/quote]

Is the wording confusing? Perhaps I could change it.

1 Like

in origami, I just tried command-k, then command-option-right. The window is divided in two and my document has moved to the right pane. Shouldn’t it have been cloned to the right frame, leaving me with 2 views of it?

0 Likes

Try making the pane first and then cloning the file into it. Or edit the keyboard shortcuts to make cmd+option create a pane and then clone :smile:

0 Likes

Hello from 2021! :wave:

Here’s how I do it (ST4)… in my keybindings:

{ "keys": ["alt+tab"], "command": "focus_neighboring_group", "args": {"forward": true}},
{ "keys": ["alt+shift+tab"], "command": "focus_neighboring_group", "args": {"forward": false}}
0 Likes

That’s awesome, thanks for the update!
Though, I’ve used a basic version of this:

{ "keys": ["ctrl+tab"], "command": "focus_neighboring_group"}

It toggles views sequentially, which I was looking for in the first place.

1 Like