Sublime Forum

Sublime Text X 20110110

Sublime Text X 20110110 is available now. Initially this was going to be a fit and finish release only, but I got a bit carried away.

I generally try not to release new versions too often, but I think it was worth it for this one.

The primary new feature is support for build systems. This works in a similar fashion to Sublime Text 1.x, but with a bit more flexibility, and the ability to detect the right build system for the current file. The .sublime-build files themselves are JSON now, too. The subprocess launching is taken care of via python, and makes use of the new output panel API.

The menu layout has been changed around, to make sure that more of the functionality is listed in the menu, and that the more interesting, multiple selection related, functionality is more prominent.

OSX and Linux platforms have also received some individual polish, with some OSX key binding issues being resolved, and the X11 selection buffer (aka middle click paste) being supported on Linux.

The full list of changes is at sublimetext.com/x.

0 Likes

Really on fire! The latest changelog is pretty packed for a 4-day release :open_mouth:

0 Likes

I am very happy to have purchased a Sublime Text license. With X being cross platform, I have may just have found my holy grail of text editors.

On OSX, I do have one feature request, and that is support for the ODB editor protocol (barebones.com/support/develop/odbsuite.html). I am currently using QuickCursor to edit text fields from any application in ODB-supported editors, and if Sublime supported ODB, I could also use this editor with QuickCursor.

Another question: From what I see, the programming API is a bit different between Sublime Text and Sublime Text X. I know it is early days still, but is the new API documented anywhere, or am I better of just browsing existing plugins?

Thanks for making Sublime, it really is an editor that I am growing to love.

Cheers,
Helge

0 Likes

I’ll add it to the todo list

Yeah, plugins for Sublime Text 1.x will not work with X, although the conversion is generally fairly straight forward. There’s no documentation for the new API, and it’s still missing some important parts compared to 1.x (e.g., no quick panel API yet). Hopefully it won’t be too long until it’s available.

0 Likes

Great!

Looking at some of the existing packages for examples, I managed to port a simple word count command to Sublime Text X, and I am happy about that. For now it only prints the word count to the console, as I couldn’t find out how to access the status bar. Being a newbie both to Python and Sublime Text (X), it is a bit of trial and error, but great fun.

0 Likes

I have been using Sublime Text X for a week now without any crashes. All my problems with Remote Desktop and Sublime Text are gone. Great work!

I like the new “file selection” menu a lot, but I cannot say the same for the new sidebar :wink: . The sidebar carries to much information (FILES/GROUPS and FOLDERS), which is not related in my opinion. It does not feel right to have tabs and project folders mixed in the sidebar. Groups of tabs are logically related to the views and not the sidebar. It is hard to tell what files you are looking at in a split screen. The old tab design did not have this problem, because tabs and views were integrated into one coherent widget. The separation of tabs from views in X is very confusing and headlines like GROUP 1, 2, 3 and 4 indicates to me that something is wrong.

I have a few minor observations too :smile:

• It is not possible to overwrite read-only files.
  • I prefer YAML over JSON when it comes to selecting a more human-friendly configuration format.
  • I see that the build system is back. I have hoped to see some improvements in this area along the following lines (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1237&p=5528&hilit=Ad+hoc#p5528).

Cheers
Jesper

0 Likes

I am so pumped about the Find in Files buffer results. This is perfect. Thanks!

A couple of things:
If I use Select File to try to open a file that no longer exists (because it’s keeping track of recently opened files) then whatever buffer used to be open for quick-preview stays open even after the Select File dialog goes away.

If there are no windows open, then the “Find in Files” panel doesn’t take focus when it’s opened.

0 Likes

A couple of requests for keybindings:

• option-delete (i.e. control-backspace) doesn’t work in quick-panels, such as the find panel or the Select File panel.
  • could you also maybe add keyboard shortcuts in the find panel for regex, match case, whole word, etc.?
  • is there a command that emulates the functionality of the “Replace” button in the replace panel? I tried “replace” but it didn’t work. :stuck_out_tongue:
    Thanks!
0 Likes

Could you make it so I can drag folders/files onto the dock icon to open them?

0 Likes

Thank you for adding it, but a minor problem. It doesn’t trigger a new instance, just a new window. Because of that, clicking on Hot Exit or hitting Alt+F4 terminates all the instances.

A second item is that the new window do not inherit the settings of the parent. For example, the minimap is shown, but I’ve disabled it. Also the size of the window is reduced.

All this under Windows 7 x64 Ultimate using Windows x64 version of SublimeText X

Thank you.

0 Likes

Opening a new window, rather than a new instance, is by design. Starting a new instance would cause issues, such as auto save and session files clobbering each other.

Alt+F4 only closes the current window, and won’t terminate all instances.

I’ll have a think about what can be done about the minimap. It’s currently a per-window setting, but it may make more sense for it to be a global one.

0 Likes

I can currently add the same folder to a project multiple times, which is annoying because then find in files searches through the same files multiple times. :smile:

0 Likes

Sweet dude! Thanks for the build system!
Looking forward to spelunking…

0 Likes

A resizable mini map would be nice. :smile: Second, a way or an option to hide scrollbars. Scrolling through mini map is also possible.

0 Likes

Wouah !!!
This new version is amazing, thanks for your work.
Not found any bug.

The new build system look great , I wonder what the new line_regex/file_regex is and how it will be used. I have to wait to some updated documentation.
By the way, please think about my proposition to permit a blank filename for the regex, meaning that it’s the active file that is used.

And another idea:
I’ve seen that now you could write negative line number in the Goto line box, meaning that it’s counting from the end of the buffer.
I sometimes need a relative Goto line counting from current line number:
+10 : Current line +10
-12 : Current line - 12

-12 conflict with how it work actually, but if you need to go backward from the end of the file you could simply make a CTRL+END before the goto line.

0 Likes

Aww man!

I really want to try this version of X! All the features look like a very promising switch from my current editor.

Any chance on getting a 1 week trail up soon (I just want to be sure before I buy it)

PS - update the screen shots on this page : sublimetext.com/x I really want to see what the interface looks like

0 Likes

Sublime is just getting better and better with all these releases! I’ve switched over to X on OSX and Win7 since the 20110106 release and have been loving it.

Is this a new feature that might be coming to X? Or is it better suited as a plugin? -> Plug-in idea - Save buffer when focus lost

Auto saving when focus is lost is the only thing that I miss from TM.

0 Likes

There will be a public alpha soon (this month, fingers crossed), so it won’t be too long until you’ve got something you can try.

Auto save in this case refers to periodically saving the current session, so in the event of a crash or power loss, next time you open Sublime Text you’ll be back where you were, with unsaved changes and files still intact. This is something that always happened, including in 1.x.

I’m planning on adding some API support for notifying plugins when focus is lost, and I’ll add a save_on_focus_lost plugin at the same time. No ETA on this though.

0 Likes

When I press command+e (slurp_find_string) and the find quick-panel isn’t open, everything works as it should. If the find quick-panel is open, however, and I press command+e, then it slurps the find string and also jumps to a different occurrence (seemingly random, but consistent) of that string.

0 Likes

Coming back from fullscreen mode using command+option+f crashes the program pretty regularly. Interestingly, it doesn’t seem to crash if I go View>Exit Full Screen.

0 Likes