Sublime Forum

Sublime Text X 20110117

Thank you for the tabs :smile: Sublime is looking better than ever.

Have you thought about using YAML instead of JSON? YAML reads far better than JSON, in my opinion, because it does not require the same amount of quoting, which really makes it a pain to read JSON. I have been using YAML to describe build configurations and data models and I love the low syntactic overhead imposed by YAML compared to other formats. PyYAML with LibYAML bindings is a nice and fast YAML parser if you are using Python.

Thanks for your all hard work.

0 Likes

I initially looked at YAML, and while it can be nice and readable, it’s a lot more complex than JSON (even to the point of including JSON as a subset). Anyone not familiar with JSON should be able to pick it up by just looking at an example, but I don’t think the same can be said for YAML, especially in some of the more esoteric areas.

0 Likes

I love how the vertical and horizontal tabs animate in sync :smile:) X has just become the most aesthetically pleasing editor I’ve used. It’s also the first editor I’ve ever bought :wink:

0 Likes

Really, really impressed with X so far, Jon, it’s come a long way since the last alpha I downloaded, now most of the functionality missing from X that was present in 1.4 is here.

The only thing I’m really holding out for is tab completion (so typing p, and hitting tab, and getting an opening/closing tag

); as far as I can see, it’s not present yet, then again, it’s still an alpha.

I’m definitely going to monitor Sublime Text X progress a lot more closely.

0 Likes

Jon, X is looking awesome. Some great updates recently. Any chance of getting a border around the active area in the mini map again? The border in the previous version helped a lot. If it’s in already and is just a preference somewhere, let me know. Thanks.

0 Likes

@ jbjornson More like the tabs in FireFox? There you have two (three) arrows. Ass you add tabs and they no longer fit, an arrow will appear to the right. Clicking on it will show the next tab in line, that is beyond the edge of the screen. In doing so, an arrow to the left appears, making it possible to see the first tab, that disappeared when you clicked on the right arrow…
There is also an arrow, on the right side pointing down. Clicking on it, will show all tabs stacked downwards, after the last one that fit on the top. That way, you don’t have to click multiple times to find the tab you are looking for. Just choose the one, and you are there.

0 Likes

The dragging is solid. I especially like how dragging off of the tab bar opens the file in a new window and/or dragging between windows’ tab bars opens the dragged file in that project. Another excellent release!

0 Likes

I just accidentally found out that dragging a tab out of the tab bar makes a new window. This is awesome.
I was hoping I could make a feature request, though: would it be possible to be able to select multiple buffers (by shift-clicking or command-clicking or whatever) and then drag them all at once into a new window? That would be, as far as I know, unprecedented.

0 Likes

I appear to only be able to move tabs into the first Sublime Text X window. If I have two maximized windows with the second one on top, tabs will drop through that window into the first one behind it. If I have a third or fourth window and I drag a tab out of it, I can’t drag that tab back in.

Also, if you make enough tabs that the close buttons disappear, and then you close some tabs so the close buttons re-appear, some of them will sometimes be highlighted until you mouse-over and mouse-out again.

When the last tab in a non-project window is closed (and maybe only if there are other windows, or something… I’m not sure) could the window close automatically?

0 Likes

It’d be really nice if refresh_folder_list could keep track of which folders in the tree you’ve got open and keep them open if they still exist after the refresh – I refresh my folder list a lot because I’m using git to move between branches etc.
Also, could you make it so that the sidebar can be used with the arrow keys? I.e., I’d like to be able to select a folder, hit the right arrow key to open it, press up and down to select different files, etc.

Tabs: They look sweet, and as I said I’m a huge fan of the fact that you can drag them out into new windows. However, I just wanted to let you know that someone out there still likes the sidebar. :smile: I have a widescreen monitor, so I’d rather take up room on the side than on the top (tabs leave me with fewer lines of code showing!).
There are a couple things that would make the sidebar totally killer. Chief among these would be adding the drag-out-into-a-new-window functionality that the tabs have. The second thing I think would be sweet to see (I think I might have mentioned this, but because I’m making this list I guess I’ll put it here too) is the ability to act on a selection of multiple sidebar items: close all, drag all out into a new window, drag all to a new group, etc. The last thing I’d like is if there were a sidebar highlight for each group’s frontmost buffer instead of just for the active buffer (i.e. if the front buffer in group 1 and the front buffer in group 2 were both highlighted). This way I wouldn’t need tabs at all—I have them on right now mostly so I can see instantly which file is open in each group.

Thanks!

0 Likes

When I try to slurp_find_string a tab character (and I’ve got translate_tabs_to_spaces enabled) it gets slurped as spaces, making it pretty hard to search for tabs without using regex. :smile: (a tab pasted into the search box also gets converted to spaces).
Also, selected whitespace doesn’t seem to be visible in the quick-panel.

0 Likes

@ Cane - Yes, exactly like tabs in firefox, but also with the ability to define the minimum and maximum width for the tabs.

0 Likes

I use now ST X since a few days and everything work great.

The only function that I miss now is the Goto Symbol, do you plan to add it soon ?

0 Likes

Thanks for the updated Matlab syntax. Maybe I’m the only one who uses it, but I’d like to make a few suggestions:

1. The tmLanguage doesn’t show up unless you add “fileTypesm” to recognize the .m files.

2. Just my preference, and obviously would make the tmLanguage file differ from whatever standard one you used, but IMHO the Matlab functions are described incorrectly as “keywords” when they should be “functions.” The result is that I get a ton of red syntax on my screen, functions are colored the same as operators and structure keywords (begin, end, for, while, etc). I replaced the following keyword descriptors with function descriptors so that the highlighting of Matlab functions was more correct:

keyword.analysis.matlab --> support.function.analysis.matlab
keyword.desktop.matlab --> support.function.desktop.matlab
keyword.mathematics.matlab --> support.function.mathematics.matlab
keyword.operator.matlab --> support.function.operator.matlab
keyword.other.matlab --> support.function.other.matlab

graphics functions for some reason were not highlighted at all (using the default highlighter):
support.graphics.matlab --> support.function.graphics.matlab

Thanks!

0 Likes

The new tabs are great. However, I’m getting some inconsistencies when the files tree is closed in the side bar.
When it is closed I can’t see the contents of a tab it is just black and you can’t click between tabs.
When I open the files tree I can click between the tabs and the content is shown. Is this by design?

0 Likes

tstrokes: can you email a screenshot to jps@sublimetext.com, and let me know what platform you’re on?

0 Likes

If a file is opened from the command line, could it open in the most-recently-active sublime window rather than in the most-recently-created window? Even more ideally, Sublime Text X would look up the folder of the file being opened and see if that folder exists in an open project, and then open the file in that project’s window.

0 Likes

For some reason command+/ doesn’t work anymore… When I press it, the console spits out “no command for selector: noop:” and my line of code isn’t commented. I’m pretty sure it used to work, though.
If I also hold option, then I can successfully get it to block-comment.

0 Likes

I have a slight suggestion about the snippets menu. The commas can be a bit confusing for snippets that include commas.
For instance in the JavaScript snippet menu the snippet for Object Value JS is :, so in the menu it looks like :, ,.

0 Likes

The window for the Auto Complete is not limited to the screen area and when you are in full screen at the bottom of the page you only see a little bit of the list, but the cursor go off the screen if you go down.

PS: Don’t forget to add the bookmarks, they are quite useful :smile:

0 Likes