Sublime Forum

2.0.2 much more stable, win64

I am still evaluating ST despite utter silence on important topics, simply because I love multiple cursors so much :smiley:

Lacking support aside, the only issue I have is that ST3 is unstable/slow on Windows 8, and 8.1. After giving 2.0.2 a swirl, I think itā€™s safe to say itā€™s a 3.x issue.

So could someone please verify these issuesā€¦ (WHY THE HECK isnā€™t there an official bug tracker so I can check if this is already reported in a sane way???)

1. I cannot get ST3 to work reliably with antivirus or backup programs running. I guess any program that momentarily lock files edited in ST is a potential problem?

2. Rendering bugs abound. For instance, I see some lines through text having the same color as the background color, the block cursor looks weird and scrolling tears text until the next repaint (this is very rarely seen though)

3. Performance is generally better with ST3, but sudden and unexplainable slow-downs occur.

4. Some preference changes crashes ST for me. I see no pattern unfortunately.

I am also evaluting on OSX, but I see only #4 there. Of course, itā€™s not like I am running AV on OSX :smile:

0 Likes

You might look at this post for your issues with ST3 and virus checker programs. Try turning off indexing as suggested in this post.

https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/another-month/11471/7&hilit=project+thousands#p53935

What virus checker are you running? Iā€™m using Microsoft Security Essentials, and have had no problems at all with ST3.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œntenneyā€]You might look at this post for your issues with ST3 and virus checker programs. Try turning off indexing as suggested in this post.

https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/another-month/11471/7&hilit=project+thousands#p53935

What virus checker are you running? Iā€™m using Microsoft Security Essentials, and have had no problems at all with ST3.[/quote]

Norton '14

0 Likes

Kaniken, canā€™t you configure Norton to bypass any files opened by given applications / processes? That would seem to be a safe and easy workaround.

I would think it very difficult for Jon as single developer to cover every edge-case with regard to Sublime coexisting with other software, and this problem seems to affect very few.

Of course, youā€™ve yet to determine whether your problem relates specifically to your AV software, Windows 8.x, or - most unfortunately from a debugging perspective - a weird combination of both. Either way, the above is probably the easiest workaround. Iā€™d personally be very disappointed with Norton if it didnā€™t offer such a facility; I use some performance critical software that I wouldnā€™t want my AV software getting in the way of.

0 Likes

Arjan/Kaniken (yes, it is trivial to see the two of you are the only ones who have ever posted from your IP),

Iā€™m surprised you keep bringing up the same issues weā€™ve talked about before. The issues you are running into in 3.x are related to your antivirus program locking files that ST3 is trying to index. You can ignore the files you are editing with your AV, or disable indexing in ST3. If you disable indexing in ST3, you will get all of the other benefits over ST2.

Sublime Text is not the only program that runs into issues with antivirus on Windows. It is a well known problem with TortoiseSVN also. Basically, programs that need to quickly access files in rapid succession (such as indexing or copying for version control) tend to get into contention with antivirus and the windows Search Indexer apps. Unfortunately I donā€™t know how you resolve these types of issues - from what I can tell the TortoiseSVN developers have not figured it out either. I do know that Iā€™ve run into antivirus issues trying to compile software on windows using MinGW with GCC. A compile that took 5 minutes without AV took over an hour with our corporate AV enabled.

I donā€™t know the situation where you work, but Iā€™d highly recommend using OS X or Linux if you do software development that does not require Microsoft tools. In general those platforms tend to have better tooling for open source languages, less lock-happy filesystems, no real issues that require AV, etc. That said, Iā€™ve used Sublime Text 2 and 3 a fair amount on Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64 and never run into issues. Perhaps you should also look into using Windows Security Essentials for your AV needs.

Personally, I have no problem if you want to raise concerns with Sublime Text or Sublime HQ in a civil way, however repeatedly bringing up the same issues and being a jerk to so many people along the way is not something that we want in the Sublime community. Please cease this behavior.

0 Likes

And no attempt made to hide the fact. The Arjan account was suspended, because apparently someone didnā€™t like critisism. Once Kaniken is suspended, I continue asking fair questions and raise real issues under another account, using a tor IP if required. I donā€™t care.

Once Sublime HQ Ltd ceases the behavior of not responding to the serious concerns raised by others than me.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œKanikenā€]

Once Sublime HQ Ltd ceases the behavior of not responding to the serious concerns raised by others than me.[/quote]

You missed the key point. Youā€™ve already raised your concerns more than once. If you keep it up, you are just spamming. Thatā€™s the last I have to say about this issue.

0 Likes