Sublime Forum

Atom - GitHub Editor

I suspect that many people, like me, are indifferent. There will be news when there’s something to announce. In the meantime, Sublime works just fine. If it stops working in the future, that will be the time to change editors.

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]
And I find difficult to believe that some trusted news will come from an unofficial IRC channel when there is an official forum, blog and twitter account. [/quote]

Exactly this.

The source is someone who probably received an answer to a support request or ticket. The message said he would prepare a public forum or blog post with details in the next week so I will wait for that. If that doesn’t happen, he either forgot it or it wasn’t true/final. I decided to not share it here (I will not change that decision) and I realize that the teaser was a mistake. Just wait patiently.

Edit: wrong quote.

0 Likes

[quote=“FichteFoll”]

[quote=“pete340”]
I suspect that many people, like me, are indifferent. There will be news when there’s something to announce. In the meantime, Sublime works just fine. If it stops working in the future, that will be the time to change editors.[/quote]

Exactly this.

The source is someone who probably received an answer to a support request or ticket. He said he would prepare a public forum or blog post with details in the next week so I will wait for that. If that doesn’t happen, he either forgot it or it wasn’t true/final. I decided to not share it here (I will not change that decision) and I realize that the teaser was a mistake. Just wait patiently.[/quote]

#completelyMissingThePoint

0 Likes

The announcement is obviously for the Sublime Text 4 Alpha.

0 Likes

No.

While I applaud the open source effort that’s apparently in the pipeline, the “some time this year” qualifier makes me dubious about what’s going on.

0 Likes

woosh

0 Likes

Does anyone happen to have an extra invite? Mine has been a long time coming . . .

Thanks!

0 Likes

Ye same here. Anyone has an invite to Atom I’ve been waiting pretty long for an invite and haven’t got any till now.

0 Likes

Likewise! I’d like to get down to porting my packages to Atom as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

The exode has begun…
And still no words from the prophet :frowning:

0 Likes

He waits for the stone tablets! :mrgreen:

0 Likes

Yeah I don’t think they’ve been sending a lot of invites out. I think it’s mostly through referral at this point. I registered on day one and still haven’t received one. I must admit, it does look pretty interesting;

0 Likes

I have one left, someone send me your mail (via PM). Since everyone gets two or three invites it will be enough to get all people here invited.

Edit: It’s gone.

0 Likes

I have 2 invites, PM me your address anybody

0 Likes

1 left

0 Likes

first pm gets an invite too.

0 Likes

OK thanks to Kirk I finally tried Atom.
And it’s true, it’s either the same develloper or it’s shamelessly copied.
If it’s copied there are some serious copyright violantions going on here.
However even a lot of the packages are the same so my best guess is that Sublime text is sold to GIT.
Either way the concept is very much alive and very much the work of a genius.

0 Likes

Nope, not sold to Git at all, and it has recently, official been announced that sublime is still alive and not sold (thankfully, because I really feel Atom is a lesser imitation after trying it).

Anyways, I have two Atom invites. First to PM me get them.

Edit: All gone!

0 Likes

[quote=“henkbb”]OK thanks to Kirk I finally tried Atom.
And it’s true, it’s either the same develloper or it’s shamelessly copied.
If it’s copied there are some serious copyright violantions going on here.
However even a lot of the packages are the same so my best guess is that Sublime text is sold to GIT.
Either way the concept is very much alive and very much the work of a genius.[/quote]

Development on Atom started 6 years ago (according to a dev), roughly the same time as ST started. I don’t know why it took so long for a team to pull off something similar to ST, but it seems they just took their time. Either way, Atom probably just copied the concepts of ST once established and I’m not a lawyer so I wouldn’t know how copyright behaves with these kind of things or whether you need a patent.

You should not confuse git and Github though, those are two very different things.

0 Likes

Gave Atom a spin and frankly it is just a poor imitation of ST. It is slower and less refined both in terms of functionality and aesthetics. Don’t see why GitHub couldn’t build something distinctive like, say, Brackets and instead opted for ripping off ST.

0 Likes