Sublime Forum

Atom - GitHub Editor

Nope, not sold to Git at all, and it has recently, official been announced that sublime is still alive and not sold (thankfully, because I really feel Atom is a lesser imitation after trying it).

Anyways, I have two Atom invites. First to PM me get them.

Edit: All gone!

0 Likes

[quote=“henkbb”]OK thanks to Kirk I finally tried Atom.
And it’s true, it’s either the same develloper or it’s shamelessly copied.
If it’s copied there are some serious copyright violantions going on here.
However even a lot of the packages are the same so my best guess is that Sublime text is sold to GIT.
Either way the concept is very much alive and very much the work of a genius.[/quote]

Development on Atom started 6 years ago (according to a dev), roughly the same time as ST started. I don’t know why it took so long for a team to pull off something similar to ST, but it seems they just took their time. Either way, Atom probably just copied the concepts of ST once established and I’m not a lawyer so I wouldn’t know how copyright behaves with these kind of things or whether you need a patent.

You should not confuse git and Github though, those are two very different things.

0 Likes

Gave Atom a spin and frankly it is just a poor imitation of ST. It is slower and less refined both in terms of functionality and aesthetics. Don’t see why GitHub couldn’t build something distinctive like, say, Brackets and instead opted for ripping off ST.

0 Likes

Thanks guys for clearing that up, i guess it’s a shamelessly done clone than.
I’ve heard a lot of people say Sublime text isn’t that unique or original but i think it is.
I’ve tried many editors in the past, Netbeans and Komodo being the most recent.
And yes a lot of stuff can be found in other editors like for instance the minimap in Komodo.
But all the editors have a distinct look and feel to them but with Atom it’s just to obvious.
There are a lot of reasons why i choose Sublime text over the others like the speed and the multi cursor.
But the main reason is i felt it was written by someone who uses it himself to code everyday.
Someone focused on speeding things up with innovative ideas and who was sick and tired of the shortcomings of the well known editors.
Now i really don’t understand this Atom team at all, what are they thinking?
Features like the multi cursor will eventually end up in other editors just like the minimap did, you can’t stop that.
But that’s still no reason to not give it a distinct look and feel.
Development on Atom may have been started 6 years ago but the similarities can’t be a coincidence, who are they fooling?
Now that i played around with Atom for a couple of hours I think it’s quite a nice editor if it weren’t such a ST rip off.
In the end i find it lacks responsiveness and I’ll stick to Sublime.

0 Likes

PM me if you want to be invited… :smile: Have 3 invites.

0 Likes

Meh, Sublime also looks like Textmate in some regards. I don’t think those are copyright violations. Just that the best UI solutions are going to be used in other software. Or now i should’t use link previews because facebook started it?

0 Likes

Some elements maybe, but not the entire look and feel.

0 Likes

Folks, I’d appreciate and invite if someone has any left.
Here’s my email

Much obliged

0 Likes

I have an invite I could share if someone needs one – PM me.

Atom’s better than I’d expected from the earlier 7 pages of replies in this topic. That’s to be expected – they’re iterating every few days, working on responsiveness, they say. Open speed isn’t in ST3’s class, but on this five year old MBP 17" with 8GB, performance is fine editing the files I edit. Atom’s community seems vibrant right now, with an early focus on dragging visual experience from TextMate and Sublime via theme and syntax development. It seems the Github folk built tools to make that efficient. I’m sure it’ll take longer for the heavier functions to arrive. For example, right now they have nothing like my beloved SFTP, SubblimeGit, and Reg_Replace packages. That’ll happen in time.

Atom has some velocity right now – and is a very viable tool. ST3 is a great editor as it stands right now, and will stay that way as long as the environments that support it don’t change out from under it. It also has great plugin authors.

But I also think Sublime HQ would do well to reignite a sense of velocity behind its creation in light of both user preference and dynamic environment.

0 Likes

I’ve got two invites remaining :smile:

0 Likes

I could use an invite. I PMed jbrooksuk but he has not replied.

0 Likes

Same here :smile:

0 Likes

Ok, I see I’ve got 5 messages (sorry no email notifications so I’ve only just checked).

I’m going to send them to the first two people. When (if) I get more, I’ll send them to the rest :smile:

0 Likes

@jbrooksuk - thank you for the invite. Now I have 3 invites for give away - they go to the first 3 PMs with screenshot proving that they are on OSX.

I am so glad Sublime is not written in JavaScript and is not using HTML for front end.

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]Ok, I see I’ve got 5 messages (sorry no email notifications so I’ve only just checked).

I’m going to send them to the first two people. When (if) I get more, I’ll send them to the rest :smile:[/quote]

Thanks jbrooksuk. Anyway, I didn’t get a message but I found a way to download the app. I never liked Javascript as a language, it was supposed to become a dead horse, then the industry started spending millions in order to keep people away from alternatives. From a quick look I think I like Sublime Text better. Not that ST shouldn’t improve.

0 Likes

If anyone’s still got an invite - please PM it. I PMed eugeneg a while ago but never got a response.

Thanks in advance, would really like to try it out.

0 Likes

[size=50]I have invites. PM me.[/size]

edit: All gone. First three to ask have been invited.

0 Likes

I just requested an invite from atom directly and it took like 3 days

0 Likes

I’ve been using Atom casually for a few days. It’s evidently far behind Sublime Text 3 right now, yet I have a hunch that it could catch up before we realize. They seem to be building solidly, designing with elegance, and proceeding fast. I am very intrigued and look forward to seeing how Atom unfolds during the next few months.

0 Likes

I have some invites if anybody wants one. PM me or send an email to my username at pigimal dot com.

0 Likes