Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Atom - GitHub Editor

Atom - GitHub Editor

Postby jbrooksuk on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 am

A leak on Twitter landed on HackerNews. GitHub's new text editor, Atom.

It looks very much like Sublime Text.

People are speculating that GitHub has bought SublimeText, but I'm not feeling that at all from this.
jbrooksuk

Re: Atom - GitHub Editor

Postby monobotsoft on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:48 am

If that is true wonder what will happen to us ST clients
Code dreamer
monobotsoft

Postby Narretz on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:25 pm

It does look very similar. They also use some identical terms - Command Palette for example. Honestly, this can only be good for us.

1. Atom is so good that we can switch to it, and keep all the Sublime goodness and get even more (Atom will be open source, most of it that is)
2. Atom will force Jon to invest more into Sublime and do something like: speed up develop / builds, lower price, actually offer support / bug fixes etc.
3. Atom will force Jon to open source (parts of) ST to accomplish speedier development.

More competition is only a good thing. Sublime currently has the ecosystem advantage, but Atom will catch up with that quickly. Sublime also has a speed advantage, and this could be its selling point for a longer time.
Narretz

Postby facelessuser on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:37 pm

This does look interesting. Though I doubt it will force Jon to open source, competition is always good. The only thing I am not excited about is plugins via coffeescript, but if I get to the point of switching, I can deal with with coffeescript.
facelessuser

Postby scotartt on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 pm

the technology core is different though. says it uses node.js
scotartt

Postby jbrooksuk on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:22 am

And you can now signup for it.

It seems really nice. A lot of shortcuts remain the same, although they have counterparts too. Plugin system seems very cool, allows you to do a lot with it, I'm going to port some of mine across during the weekend.

Go signup. Requires a GitHub account though.
jbrooksuk

Postby facelessuser on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:44 am

Bah! Now they are just taking emails :(.
facelessuser

Postby Evoken on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:55 am

They compare it to Sublime in their initial blog post (http://blog.atom.io/2014/02/26/introducing-atom.html), doubt GitHub bought Sublime. Looks nearly identical tho.
Evoken

Postby Saxi on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:46 am

Difference GitHub would probably support their users and actually answer support tickets.
Saxi

Postby nerdwaller on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:19 am

I just received an invite to Atom, it looks like a promising editor. But I am planning to stick with Sublime Text - at least at this point - (also hoping to see some sort of updates to put all this talk of it "being dead" to bed). Jon's the man, I will happily support him with my money (already own my own license and have converted numerous others) and if he wants help ever, that too.
nerdwaller

Next

Return to General Discussion