Sublime Forum

ST still alive?

Sorry, but he does. There is nothing in the license agreement about continuous development or any kind of support. You buy it as it is and the developer has no obligation to fix any bug. Of course, that might alienate customers and you might not be happy about it but he has no legal obligation. He might even sale or discontinue the project. Just think about the all the companies that are bought and their service is discontinued (e.g. this email client google bought a couple of years ago). Luckily, the trial version is very generous so you can try as long as you want before investing. I got my license maybe a year ago (after a loooong trial) and I am very glad I did! ST is the best!

0 Likes

From the Sublime office: We are not selling to Github, we are not stopping development of Sublime. As noted by another poster, this is effectively a one man band (I’m here to answer sales questions, process your refunds and get the mail so Jon doesn’t have to). The past few months of silence on the development front have been a combination of boring back end work (taxes, new payment platform) as well as a break for the man driving this whole operation. No, we don’t currently have a loud internet presence, which is can be an understandable cause for concern-something we intend to address once we move into the production version of 3. There is a vision for continued growth and development, there is momentum behind Sublime Text; it is not dead, just slow.

I’m happy to field any specific questions you might have about the Sublime’s future: sales@sublimetext.com.

Cheers
Kari

0 Likes

Re: Jon what is the future of Sublime Text?
Sublime Text 3 still in beta
Sublime Text wins the Net Awards 2014 — App of the year
What's happening

That’s great to hear. I have saved literally hundreds of hours using the RegEx search and replace for a project I’m working on. Hundreds of changes I would have had to make by hand without the ability to do RegEx in the replacement text.

0 Likes

Now that we know Sublime is in fact alive, we can all get back to work :wink:.

0 Likes

[quote=“karisublime”]From the Sublime office: We are not selling to Github, we are not stopping development of Sublime. As noted by another poster, this is effectively a one man band (I’m here to answer sales questions, process your refunds and get the mail so Jon doesn’t have to). The past few months of silence on the development front have been a combination of boring back end work (taxes, new payment platform) as well as a break for the man driving this whole operation. No, we don’t currently have a loud internet presence, which is can be an understandable cause for concern-something we intend to address once we move into the production version of 3. There is a vision for continued growth and development, there is momentum behind Sublime Text; it is not dead, just slow.

I’m happy to field any specific questions you might have about the Sublime’s future: sales@sublimetext.com.

Cheers
Kari[/quote]

Thank you for the update Kari! It’s great to finally hear some official news. Periodic statements about the status of the project will go a long way with keeping the community happy and motivated to contribute. I fear that the lack of communication up to now has unfortunately driven some community members away and definitely demotivated some others…

0 Likes

Thanks Kari! This makes me happy to know. Once ST3 is in production mode and the vision of communication is realised can we please get the forum moved to a better solution? Or at least setup an email server to send mail?

0 Likes

I’ve regularly come back here just to check on the status of sublime text, and at first I was distressed over there being a lack of updates. But then over time I tried other editors, and am yet to find a replacement that performs as well as - and has the same flexibility via community extensions - as sublime does. The closest so far has been Brackets, which is still an order of magnitude behind when it comes to performance (OS X, retina). Then there is Atom, which hardly hits 30fps when scrolling through a document - even before code highlighting is finished.

I am still 100% happy with the latest nightly build of sublime text, and don’t see myself leaving for another editor unless it manages to get performance right (I’m honestly never sure a WebKit based editor will ever reach this) and implements multi-cursor etc. as thoroughly as ST3.

Would be nice to see a final release of ST3 so I can more easily recommend it to others; the fact the website is stuck in v2 mode is a bit disappointing.

Hoping for the best into the future. While the core app may not get updates, the community definitely isn’t dead (a huge thanks to all the awesome package authors out there).

0 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for the update! Personally I don’t care about a loud internet presence, just a little reassurance like that from time to time :smile:

0 Likes

Yes, finally some info. Thanks a lot Kari !!! :smiley:

0 Likes

[quote=“strongcode”]

You’re the kind of guy Microsoft loves. …[/quote]

I don’t know what any of this has to do with Microsoft. And I’m pretty sure that everything gregor.hoch said is correct.

Not that I’m any kind of authority on the matter.

0 Likes

Wo! FichteFoll was dead on right. Good man, FF! :smile:
HAH!
So whaddya think of that, Arjan? (Or whatever alias you’re using this week?)
Oh, but wait… IT STILL DOESN’T PRINT!!! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
:smile:
Ya know… say what they will, (and you know what they say), I do have to admit… it IS more fun around here with your trolling and whining and ridiculous antics.
Hell. I tell ya what, bud. You ever get down to N. Texas, you PM me. I’ll buy you a fuckin’ beer, man. Maybe 2. How bout it? :smiling_imp:

0 Likes

posting for notifications on my “View your posts” page because this forum software (or the mail server) doesn’t allow subscribing to topics and I don’t want to bookmark everything

0 Likes

Unless… karisublime is an user made by arjan and he trolls us all! :smiling_imp:

0 Likes

This can’t be: memberlist.php?mode=leaders - karisublime is an official Administrator

0 Likes

[quote=“karisublime”]From the Sublime office: We are not selling to Github, we are not stopping development of Sublime. As noted by another poster, this is effectively a one man band (I’m here to answer sales questions, process your refunds and get the mail so Jon doesn’t have to). The past few months of silence on the development front have been a combination of boring back end work (taxes, new payment platform) as well as a break for the man driving this whole operation. No, we don’t currently have a loud internet presence, which is can be an understandable cause for concern-something we intend to address once we move into the production version of 3. There is a vision for continued growth and development, there is momentum behind Sublime Text; it is not dead, just slow.

Cheers
Kari[/quote]

Your input to this thread is greatly appreciated but “I’m outta here” from the time/date of this post.

Sublime Text was/is a great application but as one of my managers at work once told me it’s all about communication. And that has been seriously lacking here in recent months. If jps wants to contact me then I’ll certainly reply to him with my concerns. I have paid $100s for software over the years but have never been left wondering where my money was going. Software authors have, until now, always kept me informed.

I’m now removing ST from all of my (Linux) PCs. Sorry, but there other text editors which I now prefer to support.

0 Likes

So you’re removing ST because of the lack of communication allthough you bought it?
That’s a little strange if you ask me, what are you trying to prove with that and whats the editor you prefer over ST?

0 Likes

I don’t get some of these complains.

When you purchased ST you weren’t donating to some cause or contributing to a kickstarter project; so what do you mean by knowing where your money is going? You saw ST, felt it was worth the price and decided to buy it as is. Where your money is going depends on whether or not you made use of ST in such a way that it earned you enough money back to justify the purchase (whether it paid for itself).

If ST no longer fills your needs then sure, there are other alternatives that may; but dropping ST simply because you are not being ‘kept informed’ by the developer seems rather silly to be honest.

0 Likes

Ok guys maybe for you that was great to support fresh new ST2 and ST3 but for me - I bought this software only because I really wanted to test it in my work rather than normal tasks. I had to consider if it will be supported cause last update on blog was old. Finally I’ve bought it and you know what ? I’ve spend 1/10 of my salary for sth that is nearly abandoned (one post even from some kind of Admin is not a lot). I feel like a fool. Today 43 day of my license passed (refund gone), my ST3 is pain on ass when used with Samba (5 tiny python files on good connection - come on…). It crashes and slows down like hell frequently. SFTP plugin maybe ? Also paid…

JSK - you did a great dev job but you have to learn how to talk with ppl. For now I am waiting for Atom.

0 Likes

[quote=“Evoken”]I don’t get some of these complains.

When you purchased ST you weren’t donating to some cause or contributing to a kickstarter project; so what do you mean by knowing where your money is going? You saw ST, felt it was worth the price and decided to buy it as is. Where your money is going depends on whether or not you made use of ST in such a way that it earned you enough money back to justify the purchase (whether it paid for itself).

If ST no longer fills your needs then sure, there are other alternatives that may; but dropping ST simply because you are not being ‘kept informed’ by the developer seems rather silly to be honest.[/quote]

You just don’t have the right perspective. When I became a manager, another manager gave me the scoop on engineers: “remember, they’re children”.

0 Likes

I’m quoting for clarity:

Cheers
Kari[/quote]

The original question has been answered, so I’m closing this thread. Please refrain from starting similar threads for some time.

0 Likes

Any Timeframe on Sublime 3
To stay or to leave of this community