Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

New logo discussion?

New logo discussion?

Postby jbrooksuk on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm

With the alpha release of Sublime 2, I think that a new logo should be bundled with it :)

Maybe it's just me, but I find the current icon doesn't describe the application very well. From what I can tell, it's supposed to display that Sublime is focused on the middle of the window, ergo, the code.

A new logo and icon would add a new lease of life to it. Especially for advertising the new editor!

I'm not a designer myself so I wouldn't be able to do this myself. And like always, this is just an idea!
jbrooksuk

Re: New logo discussion?

Postby GreyWyvern on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:22 pm

You're late. I already proposed a new logo some time ago. No word from Jon about it yet, though. ;) :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=857
GreyWyvern

Postby kirk1h on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 am

i think sublime would benefit by changing the whole theme to attract new users. the scrollbars + buttons seem very strange (ugly at least to me -.-) and too game-like. the nonexistant contrast on the tabs are also way to hard on the eyes.
in my opinion intype does this very well:

is there a way to use the standard system scrollbars?
kirk1h

Postby jbrooksuk on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:03 am

Here is one of my attempts at a logo.

Kind of makes sense to be using Green with lime in the name :)
jbrooksuk

Postby jbrooksuk on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:04 am

Here is another using a slightly different font.

jbrooksuk

Postby oxman on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Sublime is Dark.
Not Green.
oxman

Postby jbrooksuk on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:40 am

luisvelaz wrote:Are you kidding? Sublime Text is all about elegance and style, molded from a piece of obsidian, not an anoying lime-lemon editor.

And yes, you are not a designer :D

No I am not kidding...

Like I said, I am not a designer, so you do not have to repeat it to make me feel bad. I'm a programmer and I work as one. I was bored, and hence the mess that took me 5 minutes to come up with. Most of my time was taken looking for a font.

I'd like to see you do better.

@Sublimator, I agree, dark works, but it's contradictory to lime, and the theme doesn't have to change to match the logo. Perhaps a dark version of a better incarnation of a new logo would satisfy.
jbrooksuk

Postby Anomareh on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Is this like some bizzaro thread of the forums where everyone suddenly turns 12?

I agree Sublime's logo isn't really informative of it's purpose. Heck the name it's self, Sublime Text, is quite a mouth full. As far as your attempt jbrooks I don't think it really does much to solve the original problem which was not being able to tell Sublime's purpose from it's icon. A lime is equally as telling as a black square. Although it was a decent effort for getting ideas flowing.

As far as the other 2 idiots in this thread a favorite quote comes to mind: "Don't argue with idiots. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." Just ignore them. They'll go away faster.
Anomareh

Postby GreyWyvern on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:56 pm

You limey barsteward!
GreyWyvern

Postby charlesroper on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Logos (or icons) shouldn't be taken literally. Pop open your Windows start (or the equivalent for your OS) menu and look at all the icons. How many describe what the app does? For a more concrete example, look at the icons/logos for IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. And what about the Adobe apps?

A good logo and/or icon should encapsulate the brand - the feel, the philosophy, the vibe - of an app, and should make it distinct and recognisable. The current icon, while being a little raw, is reminiscent of the black monolith from Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series, which is a brilliant association IMO. It has all the right connotations, and is geekily cool, and shares the Sublime look. What could be more perfect? Take a look:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=black+monolith

Whoever works on the branding of Sublime (IconFactory would be cool), riffing on the black monolith theme seems like it might be worth considering at least.
charlesroper

Next

Return to General Discussion