Sublime Forum

New logo discussion?

[quote=“doppopp”]http://i.imgur.com/tjfAO.jpg

Inspiration from Adobe icons.
Icon used is from iconSweets2[/quote]

I think that is the logo that should be used, it fits Sublime Text perfectly! No strange colours, images or type, it’s simple and an evolution of the current design.

I would say that the light grey area on the left hand side should be removed, and possibly a very subtle gradient from the top left to bottom right to help curve the front of the logo, similar to the CS3-4 logos…

After that, it would be useful to see it at the correct size for Windows 7 task bar and a standard OSX dock icon, to be sure that you can see the top part of the logo clearly.

Great work though, definitely gets my vote!

0 Likes

After looking for a replacement icon for a bit, I decided to take a stab at it myself. Used Blender 2.61 and tried out its new Cycling rendering engine, which really simplifies shader (material) creation, so it’s quite easy to get nice results. :smile:

You can get an .icns file and a huge PNG on Dribbble: http://drbl.in/cBaf

http://dribbble.com/system/users/31731/screenshots/354229/sublimetext2replacement.png?1324029318

0 Likes

Hey guys,

Here’s my stab at it. My eyes are pretty used to the TextMate icon, so I tried to go for something kinda TextMate-y.

Cheers!

Download the ICNS here:
shadowreactor.s3.amazonaws.com/S … 2.icns.zip

0 Likes

Thank you! Finally an icon that doesn’t look like Terminal and doesn’t look like crap :smiley:

Now I just need to wait for ST2 to stabilize so I don’t have to keep replacing the icon every time it updates :smiley:

0 Likes

I have a Ruby script I run after each release that updates ST2 with my favourite icon. It’s a single command from a Terminal (which I generally have open all the time anyway).

If you’re on a Mac (I really don’t guarantee anything else) it’s here:

gist.github.com/3d55b1272a126393aed5

Before the first time you run it do this:

$ fix-sm2-icon ~/Downloads/whatever.icns

This reads, encodes and embeds “whatever.icns” within the Ruby script itself (self-modifying)

Then whenever you want to fix the icon, just do:

$ fix-sm2-icon

This extracts the embedded icon in to the right place.

0 Likes

@shadowr,

Did you just take that pen directly from textedit’s icon?

0 Likes

yep

0 Likes

Hey!

Here are my 2 cents building on other’s work from this thread:
This one is with emboss (same color and style as the outer white edge).

And this is more like a glowing overlay, like some seen here before.

The idea with these (if not clear at first sight) is that S for Sublime, and angle brackets (inequality signs) are merged into one symbol.

Other idea I liked which either I will explore further, or others can take this direction further if they like:
Code in the background with a simplified interface (tabs, code, minimap, etc) exposed within the white borders.

Feel free to work towards this direction if you like it, I might do so too.

0 Likes

With this thread being so long, I have to wonder if this comment/question will ever make it before the eyes of those it needs to, but it’s worth a try …

So many have submitted possible replacements for the icon that it will likely be a very difficult decision if/when the decision makers deal with it. Might it be possible to load an icon dynamically out of Packages/User? If that were possible, then each user could use the icon s/he prefers and it would survive upgrades. As it is now, I have a personal favorite that I replace after each upgrade, and I just moved it to Packages/User so I’ll remember where it is. That triggered the idea.

Just a thought…

Peace.

0 Likes

I think it’s a great idea to make the icon configurable. That way, everybody can use what s/he likes.

(As far as the official logo goes, I like wizek’s idea of >< arranged in S shape. Representational without being literal. I may say, iconic :smile:

Incidentally, on Windows, it’s easy enough to change the icon of a shortcut, but to change the icon of the running task, you need to make an ICO file and replace the resource in the exe. So it’s a bit of a bother.

0 Likes

hi andyjeffries,
Great script!, but its weird I have to logout and login again to see the updated icon, any ideas?

0 Likes

[quote=“msthmnd”]hi andyjeffries,
Great script!, but its weird I have to logout and login again to see the updated icon, any ideas?[/quote]

Restarting the app should be enough. On OS X I usually just update the icon by hand;

1. Right-click Sublime Text 2.app
  2. Show Package Contents
  3. open “Contents”, then “Resources”
  4. paste/drag your replacement icon (has to be named “Sublime Text 2.icns” and of the “Apple icon image” format)
  5. if currently open, close and reopen Sublime Text 2

The only think I am not 100% certain of is whether you need Apple’s developers tools (Xcode) installed for the Show Package Contents to work. But if you do have these, they also come with /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Icon Composer.app which lets you assemble your own icon, which you can then save as “Sublime Text 2.icns” for use with ST2.

I have my 3D-S-thingie icon saved and can just drag it into the Contents/Resources directory should an update “break” my custom icon. :smile:

0 Likes

@smoofles

• thanks for the reply, here’s the thing, if I update the icon by hand, and restart the app, I don’t need to logout, but if I used the script, I know the icon is updated if I checked it under Resources, but I have to logout to see the change.
0 Likes

If anyone’s interested, my alternative icon can be found here: http://boundincode.com/#portfolio

0 Likes

[quote=“smoofles”]On OS X I usually just update the icon by hand;

1. Right-click Sublime Text 2.app
  2. Show Package Contents
  3. open “Contents”, then “Resources”
  4. paste/drag your replacement icon (has to be named “Sublime Text 2.icns” and of the “Apple icon image” format)
  5. if currently open, close and reopen Sublime Text 2
    [/quote]

You can also just Get Info on the app, then drag the new icon into the icon spot in the upper-left of the info window.

0 Likes

How about something simple like:

0 Likes

I used to do that, but if you’re just dragging images there’s no guarantee that the “clickable” mask will work nicely (it will just take the icon’s alpha image) and, again if you’re dragging a PNG, the smaller versions are computed by OS X on the fly, instead of taking the smaller versions of the icon that are packaged within an .icons file. With icons that are square in the first place that’s not really a problem, but any more “complicated” icons tend to have special, optimized smaller icons that drop details, change shape, etc in order to work better at the small size.

Still, not a problem for a texteditor, really, especially if one is mostly starting it via the command line and such. :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“msthmnd”]@smoofles

• thanks for the reply, here’s the thing, if I update the icon by hand, and restart the app, I don’t need to logout, but if I used the script, I know the icon is updated if I checked it under Resources, but I have to logout to see the change.[/quote]

Weird, I thought simply restarting the app would do it? Perhaps it’s a cache thing, which means there’s probably no solution for it aside from restarting the app.

0 Likes

[quote=“doppopp”]http://i.imgur.com/tjfAO.jpg

Inspiration from Adobe icons.
Icon used is from iconSweets2[/quote]

VERY nice, care to share the actual icon with us, so we can use it for the time being, while we wait for the name and icon to be changed for the final release?

0 Likes

[quote=“msthmnd”]hi andyjeffries,
Great script!, but its weird I have to logout and login again to see the updated icon, any ideas?[/quote]

No idea, sorry. It seems to work for me if the app has been closed for a while (e.g. overnight). I just ignore it for the day I run the script.

0 Likes