Sublime Forum

New logo discussion?

The current icon is fine on windows and linux, but it’s an eyesore on OS X.

0 Likes

I just downloaded the Sublime Text beta to see how this compares to TextMate, I could not resist reading this thread.

I’d love to see a logo that includes dawn or dusk colors and of course Sublime Text with a markup or code character. Something about the word Sublime invokes the feel of the ommwriter.com app or just Zen like feelings. Writers and Coders both love text editors that get out of the way and lets the creativity flow.

Here’s my attempt at making an icon that captures what I like about Sublime Text. It scales pretty well. It has a slight blue grey hue to capture that sublime mood. You know the early dawn color in the sky as you realize you have been coding all night. Feel free to re-use, mix or dislike the .png

-Kevin

0 Likes

“GreyWyvern” So how about some logo ideas that include the icon? Best of both worlds? :smile:

I really like these nice clean, simple logo’s.

-Kevin

0 Likes

Personally I’d quite like an icon that was more visually distinct from the traditional terminal icons, so I can quickly locate Sublime on the task bar!

0 Likes

thats pretty much the only reason the icon should be changed imho.

0 Likes

I love the art and the personality of the app reflected in icons, but I hardly ever use dock or taskbar icons. I’m a launchbar and approcket user, I’ve always preferred to launch apps from the keyboard.

0 Likes

Here’s something I threw together for personal use on OS X:

… which stands out nicely on the dock and task switcher.

(Funny thing is I made my own TextMate icon when I first started using it in 2005, before it had a decent icon.)

I’m really enjoying ST2 so far as another TM expat, but the icon could really use a bit of love on OS X.

0 Likes

0 Likes

I can’t stop fussing with this thing. Here’s another pass, this time larger:

…odd having to pick the code to show in the icon. I’m assuming CSS isn’t the most common use of ST2, and there could probably be a more elegant snippet of something on there. But you get the idea.

0 Likes

Hey, all. I’m a TextMate exile and had to change the ST2 icon in order to maintain my sanity. Here’s a placeholder I came up with until a new logo or icon is released. It’s inspired by the TM icon I had been using. I’m attaching a PNG, PSD, and ICNS file. On a Mac, just control-click on the ST2 icon and click ‘show package contents’ and go to Contents>Resources and replace the ICNS file with the new one. You might need to quit ST2 and re-add it to your dock for the new icon to appear.
http://dac.tl/client/dactl/sublime_icon.png
ST2_Icon.zip (104 KB)

0 Likes

thanks. here’s a zip of the icns file if anyone wants to use it:

Sublime Text 2.icns.zip (196 KB)

I also put together a dark gray version:

Sublime Text 2-dark.zip (194 KB)

… and a revised blue version with fatter border & showing indent guides:

Sublime Text 2-blue-revised.zip (230 KB)

0 Likes

I agree that the application needs a new icon, the current one says nothing about what it does and is also very difficult to pick out on a Mac OS or Unity (Ubuntu) dock. This post is intended as constructive criticism, not as an insult to anyone’s ability to design icons, however, I suspect that most of us here are coders, not professional designers.

That said, I don’t think anything mentioned so far here is a suitable design. The Apple “Human Interface Guidelines” (HIG) is one of the best thought out documents I have read on design of applications, UI, and icons. It gives many best practices and the reasoning behind them. Those apps with icons that stand out have very often followed most or all of the guidelines in the HIG. It doesn’t apply all the time and certainly, it is geared more towards the Mac OS user interface, however I believe a well designed icon could follow most of the best practices and look ‘at home’ on all 3 platforms.

Examples of the style I think the icon should follow are the Mac icons for Cornerstone, TextMate and Transmission. However, as an example of a very well designed icon that is quite famous, but has absolutely nothing to do with what the application actually does, have a look at the Coda icon (the leaf).

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGIcons/XHIGIcons.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000967-TPXREF101

I might have a go at designing something, but I am also looking around on icon sites to find something suitable. If the developer reads this though, I would recommend hiring an icon designer to get a ‘proper’ icon/logo as the current one doesn’t really have an identity.

Edit: This: http://shlyapnikova.deviantart.com/art/Blueprint-Icon-172068160 is the sort of style I think would be suitable, but obviously more for a code editor, not an icon editor.

0 Likes

I fell in love with Sublime Text 2 recently, but the icon did seem to taint my dock a little.

I decided to create my own - nothing overly fancy, but something to ‘keep me going’ until it has an official refresh.

0 Likes

[quote=“natebeaty”]I can’t stop fussing with this thing. Here’s another pass, this time larger:

…odd having to pick the code to show in the icon. I’m assuming CSS isn’t the most common use of ST2, and there could probably be a more elegant snippet of something on there. But you get the idea.[/quote]

Very nice :smile: I shall use this~

0 Likes

Nah, CSS is fine. We all use it to edit CSS at some point, not so much with C++, C#, PHP, Ruby, Python or Perl (two of which I can’t stand, and I am sure everyone else reading this has a hate and a love in that list).

0 Likes

Hi guys! My name is Martin and Im from Poland (Cracow). I just install Sublime as a Ruby editor. It is just great! Because I work as a graphic designer I decided to take my best shoot :wink:

I hope you are like it :wink: If so contact me by mail (neurotok@gmail.com) to get a source files.

Pozdrawiam!

0 Likes

[quote=“Neurotok”]Hi guys! My name is Martin and Im from Poland (Cracow). I just install Sublime as a Ruby editor. It is just great! Because I work as a graphic designer I decided to take my best shoot :wink:
…][/quote]

Ooh, different and I like it!

0 Likes

Hi all,

My name’s Anthony and I’m a freelance Digital Art Director. A very nice developer I’m working with at the agency I’m currently working for suggested I have a bash at an icon for this application so here it is :smile: It may need more work and although I’m not keen on option one I thought would include it anyway just for discussion. I’ll upload some close ups on my site in the next couple of days :- designembraced.com/SublimeIcon.jpghttp://www.designembraced.com/SublimeIcons.jpg

0 Likes

OMNOMNOM!

Option 2 please!

0 Likes

[quote=“Neurotok”]Hi guys! My name is Martin and Im from Poland (Cracow). I just install Sublime as a Ruby editor. It is just great! Because I work as a graphic designer I decided to take my best shoot :wink:
img69.imageshack.us/img69/9776/sublimeg.jpg
I hope you are like it :wink: If so contact me by mail (neurotok@gmail.com) to get a source files.
Pozdrawiam![/quote]

+1 !

0 Likes