Sublime Forum

New logo discussion?

That’s a pretty descent one doppopp. Remove the bevel and emboss and I like it even more. Plain and simple.

0 Likes

[quote=“doppopp”]http://i.imgur.com/tjfAO.jpg

Inspiration from Adobe icons.
Icon used is from iconSweets2[/quote]

this one is pretty awesome!

0 Likes

[quote=“doppopp”]Inspiration from Adobe icons.

Yet another black square, except this one looks EVEN MORE like the Terminal icon.

Please stop doing that, folks.

0 Likes

[quote=“CaptainCrowbar”]

Yet another black square, except this one looks EVEN MORE like the Terminal icon.

Please stop doing that, folks.[/quote]

Haha I think you’re capable of distinguish this one from the Terminal. This one has a pen in it and it will say “Sublime Text” below or above. Just because the Terminal icon is black it doesn’t mean nothing else could be. If we make it blue it would look like Photoshop, orange would be Illustrator, red flash and so on. What’s left for Sublime text then? :wink:

0 Likes

[quote=“CaptainCrowbar”]

Please stop doing that, folks.[/quote]

I disagree, this one is much easier to distinguish from Terminal than the default icon.

I actually really like it.

0 Likes

Nice.

But please PLEASE do not put any text in the icon. It’s an icon, not a logo.

0 Likes

Hey,

I had to change the default one, because (sorry guys) its really ugly! And since I was moving from TextMate Im used to search for that violet icon within application icons I decided to use the textmate one!

So here’s the preview

veryicon.com/icons/system/li … ate-2.html

Cheers!

0 Likes

Hi guys,

On Linux I have a constant issue with tab switching since the existing built in icon looks so much like a terminal. Saw this thread and just wanted to put in my 2c worth

looks good, has a bit of colour and can easily be used to establish visual branding.

0 Likes

Yet another try… Based on this dribbble by Lindsay Mindler: dribbble.com/shots/317512-Sublime-Text-2-Icon

I love Lindsay’s original but found that it didn’t reduce well in my dock.

0 Likes

Ah, I love it! Very nice. I do like that subtle green detail line in Lindsay’s original, but I can definitely see it getting lost & looking odd when reduced.

0 Likes

[quote=“doppopp”]http://i.imgur.com/tjfAO.jpg

Inspiration from Adobe icons.

I think that is the logo that should be used, it fits Sublime Text perfectly! No strange colours, images or type, it’s simple and an evolution of the current design.

I would say that the light grey area on the left hand side should be removed, and possibly a very subtle gradient from the top left to bottom right to help curve the front of the logo, similar to the CS3-4 logos…

After that, it would be useful to see it at the correct size for Windows 7 task bar and a standard OSX dock icon, to be sure that you can see the top part of the logo clearly.

Great work though, definitely gets my vote!

0 Likes

After looking for a replacement icon for a bit, I decided to take a stab at it myself. Used Blender 2.61 and tried out its new Cycling rendering engine, which really simplifies shader (material) creation, so it’s quite easy to get nice results. :smile:

You can get an .icns file and a huge PNG on Dribbble: http://drbl.in/cBaf

http://dribbble.com/system/users/31731/screenshots/354229/sublimetext2replacement.png?1324029318

0 Likes

Hey guys,

Here’s my stab at it. My eyes are pretty used to the TextMate icon, so I tried to go for something kinda TextMate-y.

Cheers!

Download the ICNS here:
shadowreactor.s3.amazonaws.com/S … 2.icns.zip

0 Likes

Thank you! Finally an icon that doesn’t look like Terminal and doesn’t look like crap :smiley:

Now I just need to wait for ST2 to stabilize so I don’t have to keep replacing the icon every time it updates :smiley:

0 Likes

I have a Ruby script I run after each release that updates ST2 with my favourite icon. It’s a single command from a Terminal (which I generally have open all the time anyway).

If you’re on a Mac (I really don’t guarantee anything else) it’s here:

gist.github.com/3d55b1272a126393aed5

Before the first time you run it do this:

$ fix-sm2-icon ~/Downloads/whatever.icns

This reads, encodes and embeds “whatever.icns” within the Ruby script itself (self-modifying)

Then whenever you want to fix the icon, just do:

$ fix-sm2-icon

This extracts the embedded icon in to the right place.

0 Likes

@shadowr,

Did you just take that pen directly from textedit’s icon?

0 Likes

yep

0 Likes

Hey!

Here are my 2 cents building on other’s work from this thread:
This one is with emboss (same color and style as the outer white edge).

And this is more like a glowing overlay, like some seen here before.

The idea with these (if not clear at first sight) is that S for Sublime, and angle brackets (inequality signs) are merged into one symbol.

Other idea I liked which either I will explore further, or others can take this direction further if they like:
Code in the background with a simplified interface (tabs, code, minimap, etc) exposed within the white borders.

Feel free to work towards this direction if you like it, I might do so too.

0 Likes

With this thread being so long, I have to wonder if this comment/question will ever make it before the eyes of those it needs to, but it’s worth a try …

So many have submitted possible replacements for the icon that it will likely be a very difficult decision if/when the decision makers deal with it. Might it be possible to load an icon dynamically out of Packages/User? If that were possible, then each user could use the icon s/he prefers and it would survive upgrades. As it is now, I have a personal favorite that I replace after each upgrade, and I just moved it to Packages/User so I’ll remember where it is. That triggered the idea.

Just a thought…

Peace.

0 Likes

I think it’s a great idea to make the icon configurable. That way, everybody can use what s/he likes.

(As far as the official logo goes, I like wizek’s idea of >< arranged in S shape. Representational without being literal. I may say, iconic :smile:

Incidentally, on Windows, it’s easy enough to change the icon of a shortcut, but to change the icon of the running task, you need to make an ICO file and replace the resource in the exe. So it’s a bit of a bother.

0 Likes