Sublime Forum

Current development status

Hi guys, just wanted to hear the latest on ST3 development. The last dev build was released months ago and userecho seems to be flooded with spam - has something gone south?

0 Likes

The industry is populated by two kinds of people.

1: Those who understand what they do, not manage (Jon)
2: Those who manage what they do, NOT UNDRESTAND.

Ill pick a software developer who falls under category 1 above any day of the week.

0 Likes

I’ve been hearing about the open source rumors about ST and those rumors raise some questions. Something that pops up is the idea that the original author lacks the time and interest to develop ST. Is it so?

0 Likes

[quote="karisublime "]From the Sublime office: We are not selling to Github, we are not stopping development of Sublime. As noted by another poster, this is effectively a one man band (I’m here to answer sales questions, process your refunds and get the mail so Jon doesn’t have to). The past few months of silence on the development front have been a combination of boring back end work (taxes, new payment platform) as well as a break for the man driving this whole operation. No, we don’t currently have a loud internet presence, which is can be an understandable cause for concern-something we intend to address once we move into the production version of 3. There is a vision for continued growth and development, there is momentum behind Sublime Text; it is not dead, just slow.
[/quote]

0 Likes

[quote=“strongcode”]

[quote=“mark4”]The industry is populated by two kinds of people.

1: Those who understand what they do, not manage (Jon)
2: Those who manage what they do, NOT UNDRESTAND.

Ill pick a software developer who falls under category 1 above any day of the week.[/quote]

That’s just bullshit. A false enumeration of options. A sad cup of tea.

There’s a large number of people who understand what they do AND are able manage. That third category represents all the successfully run projects (like linux).[/quote]

You OBVIOUSLY have not spent the last 25+ years as a ‘consultant’ realtime embedded control applications software engineer. i on the other hand HAVE. I can tell you from years of experience that the industry is vastly over populated with the incompetent, at least on the managerial side. If the management would simply MANAGE and not try to tel engineers HOW to do their job things would probably be much better. yes there are a few very talented engineers who are also damned good at management.

Im not one of them, seems neither is Jon :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“somedude”]

Hi, Arjan.[/quote]

Somedude… You took the words right out of my mouth. :smiley:

0 Likes

Here’s the situation as I see it for whatever it’s worth:

• rumors of ST going open source are just that: rumors. There’s no evidence that this is happening and considerable evidence that it’s not.

• Jon works on whatever aspects of ST that he wants to. That might be a bug or feature that you’re interested in, or it might not. More often than not, there is little communication about what Jon might be working on at any moment. This is a situation that many people find unacceptable and many people have no issue with.

• Jon also works on whatever time frame he wants. There might be a great big update tomorrow. Or there might be nothing for several months.

My suggestion is that you evaluate ST as it stands today - if it meets your needs and you’re happy with it, then register it. If it doesn’t meet your needs** today**, then don’t register it with the expectation that you’ll get what you want sometime soon.

And if you register it, be happy with your purchase today.

Note that this view of purchasing software is what I think people should follow for any software, not just Sublime Text (actually for most anything - not just software).

0 Likes

[quote=“strongcode”]

[quote=“Orlmente”]

Somedude… You took the words right out of my mouth. :smiley:

Funny, I searched the archives and you’re thinking I’m the resident troll.

Sorry, you’re wrong this time.[/quote]

Hi, Arjan #2.

0 Likes

In particular, it seems though a purchase today entitles one to ST3 when ST3 is released, there’s no actual guarantee that ST3 will ever be released.

0 Likes

[quote=“tacks”]

I purchased but realized it was a dead project. What’s the process for refunding?[/quote]

So if you suspect it’s a dead project (i for one don’t think it is), you’re entitled to a refund?

That’s ridiculous, you buy it “as is” and you can test it as long as you want so you know what you’re buying.

0 Likes

[quote=“henkbb”]

So if you suspect it’s a dead project (i for one don’t think it is), you’re entitled to a refund?
That’s ridiculous, you buy it “as is” and you can test it as long as you want so you know what you’re buying.[/quote]

yeah. i have kind of been holding out to see if anything happens myself. never got a “nope not fixing” or “ok thanks” in a bug report i posted which included the fix to one of the language files. that was a downer for me. at least in opensource someone takes the time to insult me for submitting a fix.

0 Likes

Just a quick note: most commercial software have a very relaxed schedule, with one or less release/year.

Just take a look at… dunno, windows, osx, photoshop, phpstorm, etc and you will see you have (almost) no update between major releases and almost no communication either (go to adobe forum and try to get an official response!).

Not to say that exactly nobody is releasing their plans for the future!

No EULA will grant you that the software author/company will release any new version.

0 Likes

You got a refund because you were within 30 days of purchasing, not because it’s allegedly a dead project.

0 Likes

Meaning what?
What are you implying, that you got a refund because they admit it’s a dead project?
That’s kinda weird on 2 levels:
a) They themselves think it’s a dead project
b) They think it being a dead project is a reason to refund

BTW still wondering how this refund works do you get your money back but your license key is still working or is there a way to remotely disable the key?

0 Likes

How about we just say that they gave a refund because the customer wasn’t satisfied. I don’t really know what the point of the rest of the back and forth is, and it surely doesn’t need to take up a page of this (or any) forum thread.

0 Likes

one should always buy software for what it does NOW, not what it’s gonna do in the future.

good luck finding something better than ST at the moment…

0 Likes

Jon is working on releasing ST3. Good things come to those who wait.

0 Likes

I bought Sublime Text more than year ago and I use it is my only editor daily. And I learn how to use it better all the time and I have encounter only few bugs and they are not critical. I really hope the project is alive and everything, but my point is instead of complaining we can get the best of what we have, and Sublime is really Sublime [for] Text, so I think it has much more to give… In other words Jon don’t have reason to rush things because I don’t think many people really mastered it in its current state.

0 Likes

This completely ignores the programmers’ creed:

If it isn’t perfect, it’s useless.
If I might have to stop using it sometime in the future, I should stop using it now. (see “deprecated”).

0 Likes

Sounds like bullshit creed to me. Apply this to your self. If you aren’t perfect you are useless. If you will die sometime in the future, you should die now. Then you can see it is untrue bullshit.

0 Likes