Sublime Forum

Sidebar icons in themes

[quote=“gregor.hoch”]This looks great! Does the new API allow plugins to change the icons? This could be used to color files and folders based on git status like in Atom (new, modified etc):
f.cloud.github.com/assets/67137 … 33ad23.png[/quote]

Unfortunately I’m unable to find any API that would allow this. The docs don’t show it and there don’t seem to be references in any of the default plugin files.

0 Likes

So, this only applies to the files under the folders? Or is there a way to make the icons appear for open files?

0 Likes

The icon files I’ve linked to don’t show anyway of changing the icon when open, that’s not to mean there isn’t, but the default theme doesn’t do this.

0 Likes

Cool. Well I at least have things looking normal again. I will have work on custom icons later and dig into understanding the full extent of what we can do now. In general it appears fairly limited, but still cool. It is a shame that the file options are all bundled under Default.sublime-plugin. I thought they could be overridden in the theme, but that doesn’t appear to be so. You can override the icons in the theme, just not file association. Oh well, I need to get some work done now.

0 Likes

Can you not use the scope to do so, like the Icon (Markup).tmPreferences stuff?

0 Likes

Maybe. There might be some dynamics at work here that I don’t understand yet.

I tired to just copy the files to the theme, and then alter the scope, but no dice.

I plan on trying to create my own file types as well, maybe Icons (something).tmPreferences and use a different icon name in it. I may try this later today.

0 Likes

Okay, this actually worked:

create a file Icon (Python).tmPreferences

[code]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

scope source.python settings icon file_type_python [/code]

So a theme doesn’t have to override the defaults. You can probably just create a bunch of your own and use those instead.

0 Likes

How change of icons for images in sidebar?
Sublime text icons

I wonder if a plugin dynamically change these based on if the file is dirty or not?

0 Likes

Maybe if you physically control the tmPreference file and overwrite the original. I have found that I can create new file types, but I can’t override text, source, or markup. I can change the theme icon, but not alter the tmPreference files for the defaults.

0 Likes

Does anyone have dark-theme compatible filetype icons they can share by chance? Also, if someone has the respective settings file they use to use the new light-color file-type icons they could also share that would be great.

0 Likes

I use this for now: github.com/facelessuser/Unnamed … ster/icons. I just colored the insides. I plan on redoing them for my personal use, but this is good enough for now. Didn’t style the spinners lighter, but I don’t actually ever see them now that I have the proper icons in my theme.

0 Likes

It looks amazing after replacing the default icons:

0 Likes

Customising the icons:

1. If you’re making a custom theme, place files with the appropriate names (file_type_default.png, file_type_source.png, file_type_text.png, file_type_markup.png, file_type_image.png, file_type_binary.png) either next to the .sublime-theme file, or within an icons/ subdirectory.

2. If you want a custom icon for a particular programming language, then as facelessuser mentioned, you need to create a tmPreferences file that first associates the scope with an icon name (the above example is spot on for Python). You then need to create an actual icon for that name, such as file_type_python.png. The search location for icons is:

/file_type_python.png
/icons/file_type_python.png
file_type_python.png

This means that if you’re making a package for a specific programming language, then you can provide a sidebar icon for those files, while still allowing custom themes to override it.

0 Likes

Sublime Text 3 file icons in sidebar
Theming ST is too hard. Theming documentation collective effort

jps, this looks great, thanks for the update! Is there any way to change the icons from the Python API? That would be really nice for example to color files and folders based on git status (e.g. Green icon for a new file).

0 Likes

Unfortunately there’s no API to control sidebar icons etc as of 3062

0 Likes

Still great… :smile:
Maybe someday. This coloring would work best with svg icons that can be dynamically styled but that might be a whole different thing.

0 Likes

[quote=“weslly”]It looks amazing after replacing the default icons:

http://i.imgur.com/rMLxhE7.png[/quote]

Would you mind sharing your icons and the relevant tmPreferences? :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

Would you mind sharing your icons and the relevant tmPreferences? :smile:[/quote]

I didn’t even use a .tmPreferences file :smiley:

Create a “Theme - Default” folder in your Packages folder (if you don’t have one) and put a folder called “icons” inside it with the new icons:

cl.ly/311m1R3o120n

I used the Fugue icons set. I didn’t add the retina size icons, but you can find 32x32 versions for some icons on the set.

0 Likes

I figured it was Fugue and went ahead and made my own version, non-retina too.

Thanks for clarifying!

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Customising the icons:

1. If you’re making a custom theme, place files with the appropriate names (file_type_default.png, file_type_source.png, file_type_text.png, file_type_markup.png, file_type_image.png, file_type_binary.png) either next to the .sublime-theme file, or within an icons/ subdirectory.

2. If you want a custom icon for a particular programming language, then as facelessuser mentioned, you need to create a tmPreferences file that first associates the scope with an icon name (the above example is spot on for Python). You then need to create an actual icon for that name, such as file_type_python.png. The search location for icons is:

/file_type_python.png
/icons/file_type_python.png
file_type_python.png

This means that if you’re making a package for a specific programming language, then you can provide a sidebar icon for those files, while still allowing custom themes to override it.[/quote]

Hi Jon, great work on the icon changes.

I’m a bit stuck with leveraging the new file icon functionality for Soda Theme. Is it possible to allow themes to define the folder where icons are loaded from within the theme context?

With Soda Theme, the light and dark versions of the theme are together, and normally this is fine for assets because their paths are specified in the theme files and kept in separate sub-directories.

With the current implementation for the sidebar icons, the icon files can only exist at the top level theme directory in a single icons folder, or alongside the root level theme files. This means there doesn’t appear to be a way to specify folders for different light and dark icons.

Do you have any ideas on how to go about this? As a suggestion, could the theme rule for icon_file_type allow setting the leading path?

For example:

// Sidebar file icons
{
    "class": "icon_file_type",
    // layer0.texture is filled in by code with the relevant icon name
    "layer0.texture": "Theme - Soda/Soda Light/icons",
    "layer0.opacity": 1.0,
    "content_margin": [8, 8]
},
0 Likes