Sublime Forum

ST3 no longer free

Hi all,

I had to reinstall my computer and ST3 on it. If I remember correctly ST3 was free of charge to try out, now I’ve got this window:

imgur.com/7IuhoP0

and if you do not enter license - it doesn’t start sublime.

Do you think it is a good direction ?

0 Likes

ST was never free, there were only people who exploited that.
I think its a good direction since i could imagine than jps needs some money. And thats his good right and shows me that it goes forward with ST. All of you are crying for new releases of ST, but i dont think that all of you bought ST already :wink: If you did, there´s no problem, i think.

notepad

0 Likes

Is this the latest release or some early v3 beta? Beacuse in the beginning, the v3 beta was only for licence owners, iirc.

0 Likes

I only meant that you could try it before buying and paste license when you wanted to do it. Now it’s forced.

0 Likes

@ripclaw
Newest dev 3062

0 Likes

Ah, i understood you wrong. I thought that this message apperars after a few hours / days, but not instantly… Sorry :wink:

0 Likes

@alkuzad: That has been talked about over and over - 3dev builds where never ever free!

On the download page (sublimetext.com/3dev) you read these lines:

Dev builds are for registered users only - try a non-dev version like build 3059 (sublimetext.com/3)
that should work as expected and hasn’t changed since about forever…

0 Likes

Hi alkuzad,

Sublime Text 2 and 3 public beta (currently version 3059) do not require a license in order to try.

However the 3 dev builds (currently version 3062) do require a valid license. Currently the 3 dev build will accept licenses for version 2 however on final release they will require a version 3 license. This has always been the case for the dev builds of version 3 and has not changed with deb build 3062.

Hope that helps!

0 Likes