Sublime Forum

I can't build in linux mint console, why?

i am new to linux mint.
in window, GNU library is in mingw.
in linux, do i need to download GNU library? if i don’t need to, where is the library example, stdio.h?
I try to copy a new build stated below the link.
stackoverflow.com/questions/2084 … -on-ubuntu

it can’t build in linux mint console

0 Likes

I routinely develop in a variety of languages across all three platforms, and Mint is an excellent choice for any kind of development work, my personal preference unless I need specific Mac-only tools for certain tasks (like iOS development).

A few things:

• You neglect to say whether you’re using the Cinnamon or Mate edition of Mint. In the Cinnamon edition, most of the bundled gnome utilities retain their original names, eg. “gedit” is your notepad, “gnome-terminal” is your terminal program etc… But in the mate edition, most of the gnome programs have been renamed. So “gedit” is renamed to “pluma”, and “gnome-terminal” is actually “mate-terminal”. There are good reasons for this, but it can trip you up when searching for answers on forums. So for example the script you mention executes the compiler within a spawned “gnome-terminal” - but if you’re running Mate, this must be “mate-terminal”.

• Mint’s default install includes the basic GCC meta-compiler, but needs specific language compilers to be installed. So you’ll need to install C++, which you can do from the software manager or with “sudo apt-get install c++”. The package will include the full complement complement of headers and standard libraries. If you want more, like kernel headers/sources or other libraries, they can be easily installed.

If you want to check the availability of files or programs in the system path, the “locate” command is your friend. For example, try “locate stdio.h” if you want to find out where it is. But in Linux, everything will be set-up correctly when you install packages, so you shouldn’t need fully qualified paths for any includes in c++.

Once you have all the tools installed, and a build script correctly configured, try building from a mint terminal. If that works, you can then begin putting together a Sublime built system to allow building, jump to next error etc. directly within Sublime.

:smile:

0 Likes