Sublime Forum

Teamtools for Web-Development

The following question is really basic, but it’s really hard to find a good answer in the web.

Me and a friend of mine developed small web applications on our own but never developed together. When we were coding alone we did not think about versioning, (uploading) and other possible features at all.

We want to build a website with Cakephp (&HTML, CSS, JS, JQ etc.). But it’s really hard for us to find the right tools for developing. How should we both access the code. How should we work together at the same time. What software/plugins can you suggest?

Would it be a good idea/bundle to use Git (With SublimeGit), something like WBond for uploading, sharing files in a dropbox and developing in sublime? What bundles to you use?

I know that there is no right answer to this question, but I just want some hints from you :smile:

(Sorry for the bad english, i’m not a native speaker)

0 Likes

This is not really related to sublime, but here are some sugestions:

Set up a local dev env for each machine (you can try vagrant) and version control every single piece of your code. Every. Single. Piece. Set up a stage server, where you both deploy code from time to time. Development should be done locally. Always. There is some weird server technology involved? Install it locally. Never ever work remotely. Ever!

I’d recommend you to use a visual tool for Version Control (Sourcetree for Git/Hg, Gitextensions, Tower etc). Not because there is no sublime plugin for this, but things are easier and more intuitive with a GUI: you ca see branches better, you can solve conflicts quicker and so on.

Any version control it is better than no version control at all, but try to pick a distributed version control (git, hg, bazaar) and try to avoid cetralized (e.g. svn)

For all vendors (e.g CakePHP, jQuery) use a dependency manager (for Cake & other server side related stuff you can use Composer, for jQuery and all frontend libs you can use bower).

Using Dropbox or (s)FTP is wrong on so many levels…

0 Likes

I second using ‘visual VCS tools’. I’m using SourceTree for git – it’s brilliant!

0 Likes

Thank your for the advice. I try to use Fortrabbit maybe (because it seems that there you have to use Vagrant, Git, Composer…). I still don’t know how everything works togehter and I really have problems with setting up everything.

0 Likes

That’s the beauty of our craft: we constantly learn new and awesome stuff :ugeek:

0 Likes