Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 still in beta

Hi guys,

I love Sublime Text 3, but it has been in public beta for almost a whole year. When can we expect some updates?!

0 Likes

Looks like silence will continue until a production release of ST 3 is available.

0 Likes

Lol,
there must be some sort of unwritten rule that states to start a new “can we have some news on dev status” thread every max 2 weeks…
The forum as a nice search button, use it, it prevents trolls from spawning around…

And for all the 1 poster that shortly follows to say “it’s abandonware”, “I want my money back”, “oh no! they killed Kenny, you ba***rds!”:

• is ST actually usable for commercial purposes? Yes, it’s pretty stable (and if you think other ways, then move to another editor)
  • define “abandonware”: dev build had an update not so long ago, abandonware software are…uhg… abandoned… so that’s really not the case
  • do you really have nothing better to do than write alway the same bu*****t?
0 Likes

new or old user, the search button still exists:

(the linked thread is also still visible without search…)

oh… there was also the thread linked by subhaze…

0 Likes

[quote=“eMarvin”]

Out of curiosity: is there only one developer?[/quote]

Yes, jps (Jon Skinner)

0 Likes

[quote=“jbjornson”]

[quote=“eMarvin”]

Out of curiosity: is there only one developer?[/quote]

Yes, jps (Jon Skinner)[/quote]

He’s also only developing part-time.

0 Likes

Just curious: how often do you register to adobe* forum and ask for updates or if the product is dead?

• adobe is jut an example, replace with your regular tool, from adobe, autodesk, corel, microsoft, apple, etc.
0 Likes

Everyone’s frustrated but we can take some action by contributing to lime: github.com/limetext/lime

0 Likes

Read the link, it’ll answers that for ya :wink:

0 Likes

I had high hopes for Atom as I thought we finally had an open source alternative to Sublime. Unfortunately, everything in Atom feels very slow, from opening a file, to scrolling, to selecting text or switching projects (not to mention opening big files). The problem is that I don’t think it can get optimized much since it’s all DOM-based, so the architecture from the start is designed for extensibility; however performance, unlike for Sublime, is certainly not a feature.

Anyway, I sticked to it for two weeks as I was really wanted to switch, but in the end went back to good old Sublime :smile:

0 Likes

I don’t really have a clue but is javascript really the performance bottleneck for atom? Isn’t it the rendering?

0 Likes

I am also think about switching to Atom. I feel like it really will be the editor of 2014. However, it is still lacking of some plugins which I need. I am going to learn coffee/javascript and Atom’s api and make some contributions over there. :laughing:

Bye, my beloved Sublime Text.

0 Likes

…and the problem is… ?

0 Likes

I am sorry, but that is just straight up delusional. I am not saying it is completely abandonware, but there certainly are shades of gray here, and what amounts to a superficial update after more than four months of nothing may not be able to be classified as “abandonware,” but I think we can say it certainly seems to be trending that way.

[quote=“iamntz”]Just curious: how often do you register to adobe* forum and ask for updates or if the product is dead?

• adobe is jut an example, replace with your regular tool, from adobe, autodesk, corel, microsoft, apple, etc.[/quote]

Most of the above companies have scheduled, publicized release dates. Moreover, none of the companies offer a public beta and then just walk away from it for five months with zero communication to those participating.

The fact is that the publicness of the beta is what is getting everyone so wound up about it. You can easily see that development has dropped off. In space from the last build to now, there were SIX builds for the same time period last year. As someone who has invested both time and money in the product, I am concerned that my investment is going south based on both the lack of builds and the lack of communication.

And as someone who has invested those things, I have plenty of right to voice my concerns. Read them or don’t. Bash me or agree with me. My points are valid, and the only way to get me (and everyone else who is concerned) to stop making them is for the developer to address them.

0 Likes

Wikipedia describes it rather nicely: “Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available”.
There has not been much support from the start, now it is non-existent. The only updates are superficial and trivial.

0 Likes

I have been using the evaluation version until now, and I have been waiting to buy the license until the release of ST3. I know the ST2 license includes ST3, but I would rather pay for a product that includes updates and is under active development.

I know a lot of developers that have switched to PhpStorm, but I prefer the simplicity of ST. I’m wondering if the developer would be willing to open source the project, or make it free.

0 Likes