Sublime Forum

Why do you love Sublime Text?

Hello there!

I’m trying to justify the choice of the text editor for the company where i’m working now. We’re working with different OS, mostly on Ubuntu. And want to keep our workspace simple and clean as possible.

My question is does the Sublime Text fit to common needs of small company? Can it be the “corporate” text editor for all company developers? Pros and cons of such a choice? Maybe you know situations when Sublime Text is the best (or worst) solution? Can we expect that ST will moving on for next 3 (or even 5) years, for example?

Thanks for your opinion and answers beforehand! I’m really appreciate it.
Cheers!

0 Likes

The past two companies I’ve worked at have effectively standardized on Sublime. I only influenced the first - the second company had already done so before I arrived. Both have between 10-15 engineers. One did primarily web work, the other lots of database and web work.

With the community of package developers, Sublime Text is pretty much self-serve. Developers on all platforms can easily use it. There are packages to assist with most things. If there isn’t a package for what you need, it isn’t too hard to make one. In general the editor is very fast and pretty darn stable.

Granted, I have a decent amount of experience developing packages, but at my current company quite a number of developers now use an in-house database package for Sublime Text to do a bunch of their work interacting with SQL Server.

All of the official information from Sublime HQ Pty indicates Jon is still cranking away on ST3 and other Sublime HQ backend stuff. I get the impression he wants to implement some more significant changes over ST2 before calling ST3 final. He had to make the break (release ST3 instead of incremental updates to ST2) because of some internals and the version of Python being used for plugins. After doing that, he seems to be working on the UI more.

I have yet to find an editor that I like half as much as Sublime Text. Some of the things I love include:

• Well-executed cross-platform

• Super fast, with a native-feeling UI (most cross-platform apps fail hard here)

• Sane defaults - it has a very good baseline setup

• Easy to extend, plus the ability to change most things (if desired)

• Attention to detail, such as rounded corners on text selections

0 Likes

Hello there!

First of all thanks for your replies! And @vimsy thanks for atom.io–I haven’t used it yet, so I will give it a try.

To tell the truth I really love Sublime Text and I used to work with it. But the reason for my doubts is that when I work independently I’m free to choose any software I want. And for now I’m trying to organize the team work. And I just want to make it simple and efficient, so all the developers will work with the one text editor and will be happy with it. And in case whether someone would have a problem or question how to do that thing or the other, any developer could help.

@wbond, a huge thanks for your Package Control! This project is really awesome and incredibly useful.
It’s very interesting to know that you have successfully worked with ST in a teams, because of my situation is similar.

I don’t really worry about not so fast growth of Sublime Text. Because it stable, efficient, intuitive, cool and fast! It works great: utf-8, really big minimized files, code highlighting, tons of plugins from Package Control (e.g. Editorconfig that makes team collaborating very comfortable), etc, etc, etc… Even if for one year long wouldn’t be any ST update–I’ll be waiting, as I know that everything works well. But I care for ST maintenance–cause of I just don’t want to change the most used dev’s tool every month (roughly speaking). So I’m trying to make a decision…

Thanks again for your answers, I appreciate it!

P.S. By the way, do you know about any security vulnerability in the ST?

0 Likes

@eMarvin thanks for the information!
Have you got any problems with the described issue?

0 Likes

Installing ANY package opens you do the vulnerability of malicious code being downloaded and installed on your machine. Any package can install and execute arbitrary executables on your machine. Obviously if there is any evidence of malicious behavior, report it to the community right away so we can investigate and remove packages from the default distribution.

0 Likes

Hello,

I’m fully agree with @wbond that any additional plugin potentially can contain an unwanted code. It seems to me that everybody knows about that. So I always try to protect myself and the team I’m working with against undesired intervention by using only trusted resources. I suppose that we need just a few useful plugins from Package Control (it’s 100% trusted), as they great help to work. As for other cool plugins I don’t think that we need to install them if we won’t use them extensively. So I’ll try to minimize all potential risks (in case they are exist).

I’m wondering can we automatically install Sublime Text updates when Ubuntu upgrades their packages? Or we can do this only by hand?

0 Likes