Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Annoying problem with saving

Annoying problem with saving

Postby stikker on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:40 pm

We use Sublime Text with emmet and it works great for the most part. Absolutely stunning editor!

Unfortunately, a few of our programmers experience problems when saving. Occasionally when saving, a "file locked" error pops up and sometimes it's impossible to save so unless they copy/paste into another editor, the content is lost. On one machine where this happens, we could reproduce it easily in Sublime, but could not reproduce it in Notepad (same file)

Is this a known problem/is it being worked on? Most of us run the very latest beta on Windows and Mac.
stikker

Re: Annoying problem with saving

Postby FichteFoll on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Disable "atomic_save". It causes a variety of issues and is only a bonus anyway.
FichteFoll

Postby stikker on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:45 pm

FichteFoll wrote:Disable "atomic_save". It causes a variety of issues and is only a bonus anyway.

Thanks, I'll shoot this tip out on our internal mailing list and see if that sorts it out.

EDIT: This indeed seems to solve the save issue. Thank you FichteFoll!
stikker

Postby stikker on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:37 pm

aquit wrote:
stikker wrote:
FichteFoll wrote:Disable "atomic_save". It causes a variety of issues and is only a bonus anyway.

Thanks, I'll shoot this tip out on our internal mailing list and see if that sorts it out.

EDIT: This indeed seems to solve the save issue. Thank you FichteFoll!

So it's an editor that's by default unable to save? Amusing.

Heh, there's actually some truth to this, on at least one of our Windows machines. The lock message consistently prevents the file from being saved from the get-go.

I would strongly suggest to Sublime Text HQ that "atomic_save: false" is the default on Windows.
stikker

Postby ntenney on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:31 pm

stikker wrote:Heh, there's actually some truth to this, on at least one of our Windows machines. The lock message consistently prevents the file from being saved from the get-go.

I would strongly suggest to Sublime Text HQ that "atomic_save: false" is the default on Windows.

I think I've mentioned before that I hate these kinds of issues. I've been trying to reproduce atomic save issues, and I have been unable to do so. So the threads on this issue end up in a "works for me" loop.
ntenney

Postby stikker on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:24 pm

ntenney wrote:
stikker wrote:Heh, there's actually some truth to this, on at least one of our Windows machines. The lock message consistently prevents the file from being saved from the get-go.

I think I've mentioned before that I hate these kinds of issues. I've been trying to reproduce atomic save issues, and I have been unable to do so. So the threads on this issue end up in a "works for me" loop.

And "works for me" is never a useful reply, but you seem to be doing it a lot.

I've searched the forum and this is an issue for quite a few people and while I have no idea what the conditions for trigging this bug are, until it's resolved, I strongly object to having atomic_save on by default on Windows.
stikker

Postby FichteFoll on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:46 pm

FYI, added this: https://github.com/SublimeText/Issues/issues/379

Hopefully it will be handled *before* 3.0 stable.
FichteFoll

Postby stikker on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:28 pm

FichteFoll wrote:FYI, added this: https://github.com/SublimeText/Issues/issues/379

Hopefully it will be handled *before* 3.0 stable.

I just found https://github.com/SublimeText/Issues/issues/373

Maybe the two issues should be merged
stikker

Postby jbrooksuk on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:44 pm

I've closed #373 in favour of #379
jbrooksuk

Postby stikker on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:20 pm

jbrooksuk wrote:I've closed #373 in favour of #379

Thanks, hopefully HQ reads through the issues :)

I'd like to summarize a discussion we had internally about this issue, maybe it's useful for others:

1) On some Windows configurations, atomic saves are outright buggy and dangerous
2) On Linux, file metadata is sometimes lost (i believe this is over mounts only, but not sure)
3) On all OS's there are cases where config-directories allow edits, but not file creates (we have examples in our shop). Atomic save doesn't work at all in these cases.
4) File monitoring tools, as noted in the issue as well, depending on modify-events are confused since modify, create and delete events are all generated
5) Saving takes substantially longer over certain mounts
6) It's not a useful feature at all, the likelyhood of the rename failing during outages (esp. true on osx's fs) is higher than the likelyhood of dataloss on filewrites

Our conclusion is that not only should this feature not be default. It should not be in there at all.
stikker

Next

Return to General Discussion