Sublime Forum

Development Status - July 2014

WOW! You guys are brutal!

I can’t help but think that if you don’t like the product, don’t use it. But, geez, if all you can do is gripe instead of encourage, maybe you should just back away from your keyboard.

I’m just starting to get to know SublimeText. All I know thus far is that everyone universally loves it, except for the whiners complaining about the distance between updates and progress on a final release of v3.

Just take a deep breath, learn more about the tool, suggest improvements, and be patient. And REALLY hold you tongue if you haven’t even bothered to pay for it yet. I, for one, would find it extremely discouraging to put in any programming effort after reading some of these recent sarcastic, snide comments.

Dudes, grow up.

0 Likes

As a manager of mine once said as I moved into software management, “Remember, they’re children”.

0 Likes

Who are you accusing? People on this forum have written hundreds of packages for sublime text, and spent countless hours on it. The refusal of communication and fixing of the trivial bugs which hinder better packages being written, is the cause of the frustration.

0 Likes

[quote=“JHep”]WOW! You guys are brutal!

I can’t help but think that if you don’t like the product, don’t use it. But, geez, if all you can do is gripe instead of encourage, maybe you should just back away from your keyboard.

I’m just starting to get to know SublimeText. All I know thus far is that everyone universally loves it, except for the whiners complaining about the distance between updates and progress on a final release of v3.

Just take a deep breath, learn more about the tool, suggest improvements, and be patient. And REALLY hold you tongue if you haven’t even bothered to pay for it yet. I, for one, would find it extremely discouraging to put in any programming effort after reading some of these recent sarcastic, snide comments.

Dudes, grow up.[/quote]

The problem is I love the product and it is a disappointment it is going the way of Textmate.

0 Likes

And if you are “just starting to get to know SublimeText” you weren’t around during the ‘early days’ when there would be daily releases it seemed.

Ahh the good ole days :smile:

Jim

0 Likes

Well, now we know.

It went exactly as predicted. jps came in, was active for two days, and has not been seen since.

The promised august update, after the long hiatus, was about as exiting as watching transparent paint dry. None of the important bugs got fixed.

Given the amount of issues, I think new customers are free to feel swindled…

0 Likes

I for one welcome my yearly update.

0 Likes

Good to hear jps is still working on Sublime Text.

As a suggestion or question, has jps considered to let the community (further) develop some components of Sublime Text? Not the core architecture and the plugins API, but stuff like the syntax definitions and the way certain UI elements and commands work. For example, Goto Symbol … behaves unexpected when mixing scopes, goes to unexpected files. If the whole logic was in a .py file, it could easily be modified. Some commands are already in .py files in the Default package, such as symbol.py. Moving more commands into public packages would enable the community to modify them more easily. It could even be possible to merge sensible changes back in (although that might be problematic with the licensing)

1 Like

[quote=“Narretz”]Good to hear jps is still working on Sublime Text.

As a suggestion or question, has jps considered to let the community (further) develop some components of Sublime Text? Not the core architecture and the plugins API, but stuff like the syntax definitions and the way certain UI elements and commands work. For example, Goto Symbol … behaves unexpected when mixing scopes, goes to unexpected files. If the whole logic was in a .py file, it could easily be modified. Some commands are already in .py files in the Default package, such as symbol.py. Moving more commands into public packages would enable the community to modify them more easily. It could even be possible to merge sensible changes back in (although that might be problematic with the licensing)[/quote]

I think that open sourcing the core plugins and python code (or at least some of them) on somewhere like github would result in a huge number of bugs being resolved and cool new features being added with little effort from jps. SublimeText could package the most recent version of these “core” plugins with each deployment and support updates through wbond’s fantastic package control.

I really hope that jps is considering this. I understand that there is some overhead and work involved in managing an open source project but I think the benefits would far outweigh the negatives. jps could even give a few select developers commit rights to the project so they could manage the merging of bug fixes. I suppose the biggest problem would be in handling different version of the underlying api for users that aren’t on the most recent version…

1 Like

It took textmate’s author years to open source his dead product, and look what happened, it remained dead. I like sublime text and hope it doesn’t go the way of textmate. I think that sublimetext development wasn’t as hot as it once was due to people’s frustration with the bugs, but it’s still rather active. Open sourcing sublime text sooner than later would be a good idea while it lasts.

0 Likes

The “august update” was, well, almost nothing in terms of real bugs fixed (the save thing in particular)

Kari, when can we expect a new update??

0 Likes

I haven’t followed TextMate development much, but it looks like it’s had about 700 commits and 30 releases so far this year. Sublime Text has had 3 dev releases with 12 changes.

0 Likes

[quote=“Jibz”]

I haven’t followed TextMate development much, but it looks like it’s had about 700 commits and 30 releases so far this year. Sublime Text has had 3 dev releases with 12 changes.[/quote]

Well that’s good news, I suppose open source software never remain dead then.

0 Likes

Given that TextMate is written in Objective C and is deeply tied into the Cocoa (OS X) API, don’t hold your breath there, Ace.

I would really like to see Sublime Text’s author(s) update the blog and make the project web site look like it’s alive – depending on users to just click through to the forum and find this all out is not enough. Optics matter. Look at MacRabbit’s Espresso – there is development work going on, but as near as I can tell the only way to find that out is to go to their Twitter feed and find the link to the development builds (which aren’t dated, and the only thing that suggests they’re current is the “Improved the interface on Yosemite” reference). Otherwise, it doesn’t look like their web site has been updated in over a year. The Sublime Text web site doesn’t look like it’s been updated in nearly a year.

tl;dr: with no update since December, Sublime Text’s web site tells users to not bother giving them money and this is bad. For the love of God, somebody take the hour necessary to update the bleepin’ blog.

0 Likes

Well played, sir (or madam). :smile:

And you’re right. It’s just frustrating to watch; adding a new post to a WordPress blog is not the world’s most time-consuming task.

0 Likes

I had mentioned Kari’s post be copied to the blog but apparently she doesn’t have access. :frowning:

Dunno if JPS is a control freak or what but its becoming apparent he doesn’t like delegating anything which is a shame for everyone.

Sublime works and I’ll continue to use it as long as it does but it’s a shame to see a great project with such a tremendous amount of community support slowly wither away.

Jim

0 Likes

I wonder what the Christmas update will bring.

0 Likes

A lump of coal?

0 Likes

[quote=“diinko”]

Almost nothing. Gotta keep up the good tradition.[/quote]

It might finally bring the forum down forever.

0 Likes

I share, more than a frustration, a sentiment of a great product on the verge of losing momentum and community. I feel that snarky comments, although fun, doesn’t add up to encouraging anybody to keep on doing something. Yeah, open source is great, yeah, hiring developers is great if they have the money, but in the end, it’s his product, so I rather say that I can use sublime text everyday pretty damn fine, it’s my editor on choice, and I am really looking forward to seeing it pick up pace.

Besides this, what I really wanted to say, is that a new build was there today, found it by accident:

sublimetext.com/3dev

0 Likes