Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Development Status - July 2014

Development Status - July 2014

Postby karisublime on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 am

Hi Sublime Text friends,

I've had a flood of emails in the past few months regarding the lack of updates from Sublime Text, and responded to this previously (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15477&hilit=kari&start=50#p58951). However, wbond rightly pointed out that not everyone is digging deep in the forum archives for status updates, so I'm sticking this front and centre:

Sublime Text is still in development. We haven't sold out to atom.io, Jon hasn't died, there has been no hostile takeover by TextWrangler. We dropped back down to one developer earlier this year, and because that developer is also the director of the company, speed of updates was sacrificed in exchange for business planning, applying for a new payment platform and a vacation. Being a bit of a perfectionist probably contributes to the dearth of feature adds.

However, development is still active: when I spoke to Jon today he advised me that not only does he expect an update to the beta in August, he has also started mapping out some frameworks for version 4 which will help guide future development.

Many of you have kindly offered your assistance in the development of Sublime; Jon has made the decision that he will complete version 3.0 himself, and from there we will begin expanding the team of developers. I'm the only other employee at the moment, and my job relates to sales and day to day operations.

Sublime Text continues to flourish through this slower period thanks to some amazing users. If you haven't checked out the bugtracker (https://github.com/SublimeText/Issues) I would certainly recommend it, and please support the upcoming expansion of the unofficial docs (https://www.bountysource.com/teams/st-undocs/fundraiser); the original series is a goldmine of Sublime Text secrets.

As always, feel free to email me with specific questions about Sublime Text's future: sales@sublimetext.com

Cheers
Kari
karisublime

Re: Development Status - July 2014

Postby iamntz on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:07 am

You should make this post sticky on all forums :geek:

Also, any plans of ditching phpBB in favour of Discourse?
iamntz

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks for clarification, Kari.
Very appreciated.

Jim (on Windows Win7, now finally with ST3)
Jim

Postby karstenk on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Awesome! Thank you for this information. Can´t await the versions 3 und 4 :)
karstenk

Postby JerseyMilker on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks Kari for update!

iamntz wrote:Also, any plans of ditching phpBB in favour of Discourse?

I agree. Sublime itself is a slick clean editor, but the website could use some love, and the phpBB forums are very old feeling. I love the github bug tracker though. Discourse forums look really slick too (I don't like Atom, but Atom has a beautiful web presence, and I think they use Discourse?).

Can't wait to see more regular updates from Jon, even if they are small but frequent. There's something about active development and user involvement that keeps people interested.

All this said... Sublime is still the best editor I have used, hands down. Keep it up!
Make Soda Dark the official Sublime Text theme?
sublimeText-sodaDarkClassicTabs.png
JerseyMilker

Postby thecrumb on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Great news.

I'd also consider copying this post to the Sublime Blog so people visiting the website will be aware.
thecrumb

Postby fburleigh on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Thank you so much for the presence, Kari. I think that about covers the important issues, and does give us some expectation for the future.

thecrumb wrote:Great news.

I'd also consider copying this post to the Sublime Blog so people visiting the website will be aware.

A tweet with a link to this would likely be appreciated by your many followers.
fburleigh

Postby stikker on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:28 pm

karisublime wrote:Many of you have kindly offered your assistance in the development of Sublime; Jon has made the decision that he will complete version 3.0 himself, and from there we will begin expanding the team of developers.

Not at least trying to hire wbond would be a crime.
stikker

Postby jbrooksuk on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks for the update Kari!

I'm looking forward to all of the awesomeness which is about to come our way :)
jbrooksuk

Postby wesbos on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Really great to hear an update - lots of doubt on the future of the editor is now gone.

I'll be releasing my book in a few weeks, looking forward to seeing what is new with ST3 and beyond!
wesbos

Next

Return to General Discussion